Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-11-2013, 00:41   #1
jmy
Lifetime Membership
Still Alive

Aimpoint Comp M4S VS T1 Red Dot sights

For those of you who have tried both the Aimpoint M4S and T1 Red Dot Sights,which of the two do you personally prefer?And why?Which has a better field of view,clearer red dot,and has quicker target acquisition?Which among the two also is more reliable and more rugged?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:44   #2
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Had both. Now, only the Micros remain.
The only advantage the Copm M4/M4s has over the Micro is the more ubiquitous AA battery and a slightly larger aperture. Although its battery life is longer than the Micro's, they are both so long that it practically doesn't matter.
Reliable/rugged? Equal
Red dot size? Same (2 MOA, although the original Micro came in 4 MOA dot)

Lighter and much more compact-> Advantage Micro. I guarantee you will notice the weight difference.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:20   #3
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Only reason I use the M4 is its free.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:47   #4
Samuel_Hoggson

Aimpoint did not make the M4 because AA batteries are better than the 1/3Ns. They built the M4 b/c they were asked to do so ($$$$). The reasons Aimpoints had been using 1/3Ns - and not AAs - have to do with dimensional considerations and Newtonian physics. AAs are heavier and stress the contacts/elastic component more. All metallic spring elements are subject to fatigue; less spring stress per firing results in longer spring lifespan. Broken spring contacts can mean a dead optic when you just might need it.

Aimpoint did not need to duplicate Eotech's experiences (that lead them to use smaller batteries in a transverse lie) to know all this. They knew this before Eotech made their first AA optic. Again, Aimpoint was asked ($$$$) to make a model using AAs. So they did.

To be fair, the M4s are good optics. But the answer to your question: Micro.

Sam
Samuel_Hoggson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:51   #5
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

^^^ No one here said anything about the AA being "better". But, a lot of folks choosing the M4/M4s has to do with the AA being easier to find. I know I did, so I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking that way.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Old 09-11-2013, 13:50   #6
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Agreed. I've used the Comp M2 extensively, the M3, M4, M4s and T-1/H-1/R-1 quite a bit.

I own a H-1. The M4 has a bigger window which can be nice for certain features, such as night vision or odd-position shooting if you're a one-eye-only shooter as it does have a slightly bigger tube. For 99% of shooting however, the Micro is fast as hell, battery run time is equivalent and there's no difference in ruggedness.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 14:10   #7
Mabo
Want a beer?

I have both and they are both excellent. I like the M4S on larger rifles, the larger aperture makes it easier for me to acquire targets faster. The M4S definitely feels more rugged than the T1, but both are probably more rugged than you will ever need.

I like the T1 for pistols or if you are going for a light weight build. The smaller aperture makes target acquisition a bit slower (for me at least). Red dot "clarity" on both is equal, no difference there.

I feel that the AA batteries used in the M4S could be a bonus in a SHTF scenario. If I could only have one I'd pick the M4S, luckily I didn't have to limit myself!

G19 & G26
Mabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 22:39   #8
jmy
Lifetime Membership
Still Alive

How come that there are times that the red dot of either the T1 or M4S aren't well defined?They look somewhat mush and don't really look like dots?More like a small stain of red dirt.Is this normal?
Thanks.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:49   #9
majette

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmy View Post
How come that there are times that the red dot of either the T1 or M4S aren't well defined?They look somewhat mush and don't really look like dots?More like a small stain of red dirt.Is this normal?
Thanks.
happens if you have astigmatism.
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:05   #10
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Stare at the target, not the dot.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:12   #11
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Agree with both posts #9 and #10.

Old 09-12-2013, 13:47   #12
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
happens if you have astigmatism.
Or your nearsighted prescription lenses are too old and need update.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 09-12-2013, 14:37   #13
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Or your nearsighted prescription lenses are too old and need update.

And that reminds me, I need new glasses.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:30   #14
samuse

I've used both quite a bit and there is no reason to use an M4/M4s over the T-1.

I don't understand the field of view questions/problems that some people have. Are ya'll trying to stick your eye in the sight or what? Mount the sight at the front of the receiver, shoot with both eyes open and look at the target.

Aimpoint has the ability and the technology to build the T-1. The US gov't has the ability to spec a sight that is just as capable as the T-1, but in a package that is 3X as big, 4X as heavy and uses a sucky AA battery.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 16:08   #15
Glocksanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
I've used both quite a bit and there is no reason to use an M4/M4s over the T-1.

I don't understand the field of view questions/problems that some people have. Are ya'll trying to stick your eye in the sight or what? Mount the sight at the front of the receiver, shoot with both eyes open and look at the target.

Aimpoint has the ability and the technology to build the T-1. The US gov't has the ability to spec a sight that is just as capable as the T-1, but in a package that is 3X as big, 4X as heavy and uses a sucky AA battery.
All very true and good points.

But, the M4 looks more bad ***, AA batteries are easier to find when TSHTF, and if you can't deal with a few extra ounces of gear on your rifle, you are a wussy and need to get to the gym.

Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis!
Glocksanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 16:30   #16
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocksanity View Post
All very true and good points.

But, the M4 looks more bad ***, AA batteries are easier to find when TSHTF, and if you can't deal with a few extra ounces of gear on your rifle, you are a wussy and need to get to the gym.
If you can't find CR2032 batteries, you're not trying very hard. Hell, many gas stations sell them now, and they are in every CVS, Walgreens, and Wal-Mart in the US.
Old 09-17-2013, 17:54   #17
John Biltz

Where the military goes they often don't have Walgreens around the corner. The military is trying to simplify their battery logistics. A few decades ago every time something new came out it required a different kind of battery and guess what, it was proprietary. Before long your average grunt was having to have 4 different batteries on him and spares for everything. Typically, you need batteries for flashlights, night vision and optics as a minimum. A unit being deployed takes pallets of batteries. Not only that but buying batteries comes out of unit's budgets and you can get AAs just about anywhere and for training investing in rechargeable saves money from the budget. Requiring equipment to run on AAs is smart, really smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
If you can't find CR2032 batteries, you're not trying very hard. Hell, many gas stations sell them now, and they are in every CVS, Walgreens, and Wal-Mart in the US.
Old 09-17-2013, 18:07   #18
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biltz View Post
Where the military goes they often don't have Walgreens around the corner. The military is trying to simplify their battery logistics. A few decades ago every time something new came out it required a different kind of battery and guess what, it was proprietary. Before long your average grunt was having to have 4 different batteries on him and spares for everything. Typically, you need batteries for flashlights, night vision and optics as a minimum. A unit being deployed takes pallets of batteries. Not only that but buying batteries comes out of unit's budgets and you can get AAs just about anywhere and for training investing in rechargeable saves money from the budget. Requiring equipment to run on AAs is smart, really smart.
I am aware of all of this. Please reread the post I quoted, and you will see it didn't mention military use.
Old 09-17-2013, 23:25   #19
Glocksanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I am aware of all of this. Please reread the post I quoted, and you will see it didn't mention military use.
When SHTF, we are all military.

Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis!
Glocksanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 00:33   #20
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocksanity View Post
When SHTF, we are all military.
Sure thing, GI Joe.