Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:24   #1
J Lee

Powder for 9mm and .45acp?

I'm just getting started. Getting a bench togther and have not ordered a press yet. Narrowed down to Lee CT and Dillon RL550B. Need to start building up my reloading component inventory. I am salesman so I have time to shop a little during my day and don't want to walk by an available item when I see it on the shelf. Wouldn't recognize what I needed even if I saw it which is the main reson for this thread. Is there a powder that works well in both 9mm and .45? I am not looking for any particular characteristics(again, newbie) but but have read many of your threads and see where Bullseye and Unigue are very popular. A little dirty is ok since I enjoy cleaning my guns. Consistent metering, being new, seems like something I should consider. Primarily will plink and target shoot but plan on signing up for some GSSF events after the 1st of the year. I have a Glock 19 and Kimber Custom 2(.45), XDM9 4.5" and will be getting a 21 and a 30S somtime soon, just in case that has any bearing. I have a Lyman manual on the way and it should be here in a couple of days. I am a total newb to reloading.
J Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:46   #2
Lord270
Lord270

Like you said, you've heard Unique is good, that's what I use. Meters well, good burning, plenty of power, and if you get bulk powder (like a 8lb keg) it will last a long time

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Lord270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:41   #3
SigFTW

I also use Unique for 9mm and 45APC.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34   #4
ImpeachObama
Fuhgettaboutit

Something to keep in mind, is you have fast powders like Bullseye, slower like Unique, and then much slower like Hodgdon Longshot. The slower the powder, the more you'll have to put in the brass. For a newbie, something slower is better because there is less chance for a double charge or double drop if your not paying attention. No TV, no distractions while reloading.

I like Titegroup a lot, but it's not for a newbie. Bullseye is right there with it as far as burn rate. Alliant Unique is good along with Winchester 231, Hodgdon HP-38 & Universal, Alliant Power Pistol and Winchester WSF are good powders with similar medium burn rates, safe to start on. On the mfg's website you will find load data. You can buy these in 1, 4 & 8 lb. It would be better to maybe get 1 lb just to try out.

Lastly, I cast a vote for the Dillon 550.
ImpeachObama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:36   #5
SJ 40

Unique is truly Unique and if I could only have one powder it would be Unique.
That said I find the two most often used as of late are WST & WSF,WSF is most like a ball powder version of Unique and meters extremely well through any powder dispenser. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:36   #6
JBnTX
None

Unique.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:42   #7
Colorado4Wheel

Get a reloading manual. Consider any "common" powder including and between burn rate of 231/HP38 and AA#7/Power Pistol.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:36   #8
F106 Fan

Another way to do this is to find out what the LGSs have and then post again with the list. It might be easier to select from an in-stock list than to just post favorite powders.

I am starting to really like WSF. I'm hoping to see it come back into stock someday. It will work perfectly for 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

I use 700-X for just about everything except .40 S&W but it will work for that caliber just as well.

It doesn't meter as well as WSF and it's faster than Bullseye or Tightgroup so it might not be a good choice for new reloaders. However, for many years it was the only powder I bought. I would load my handguns and shotguns from the same keg. It's also pretty dirty. However, it tends to be in stock.

Go to the Hodgdon and Alliant sites and see what they recommend for powders and see which ones apply to all of your calibers.

Richard
Old 09-11-2013, 12:59   #9
SARDG

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most competitive shooters use heavy bullets with fast powders to get nice soft-shooters. That being said............ some folks believe that fast powders aren't for newbs. Those same folks say progressive presses aren't for newbs. Those aren't my philosophies at all, but YMMV.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:24   #10
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most competitive shooters use heavy bullets with fast powders to get nice soft-shooters. That being said............ some folks believe that fast powders aren't for newbs. Those same folks say progressive presses aren't for newbs. Those aren't my philosophies at all, but YMMV.
Yup! That's what I was taught. Shoot IPSC with a 230 gr bullet propelled by 700-X (uber fast). The load makes the .45 a lot more comfortable than factory hardball.

I guess the concern is that a little bit of fast powder goes a long way toward kaboom and some fast powders don't overflow the case when double charged. Both true!

In some ways, so what? Do the job right and there won't be a problem. Make a mistake and expect to have to pay for the education.

As to your 650 - that was absolutely the right choice!

Richard
Old 09-11-2013, 14:00   #11
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
...I guess the concern is that a little bit of fast powder goes a long way toward kaboom and some fast powders don't overflow the case when double charged. Both true!
My N320 totally disappears into the abyss of a .45 case.

Quote:
As to your 650 - that was absolutely the right choice!

Richard
Well... there is the 1050.
Old 09-11-2013, 14:03   #12
J Lee

From the data I have looked up, really want to try 231 and WSF. Hope I can find one or if lucky, both. But with the current demand and lack of inventory on the shelves, if I find Bullseye, Unigue, Power Pistol, HP-38, or AA#7, I am buying it.
Old 09-11-2013, 14:05   #13
J Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpeachObama View Post
Something to keep in mind, is you have fast powders like Bullseye, slower like Unique, and then much slower like Hodgdon Longshot. The slower the powder, the more you'll have to put in the brass. For a newbie, something slower is better because there is less chance for a double charge or double drop if your not paying attention. No TV, no distractions while reloading.

I like Titegroup a lot, but it's not for a newbie. Bullseye is right there with it as far as burn rate. Alliant Unique is good along with Winchester 231, Hodgdon HP-38 & Universal, Alliant Power Pistol and Winchester WSF are good powders with similar medium burn rates, safe to start on. On the mfg's website you will find load data. You can buy these in 1, 4 & 8 lb. It would be better to maybe get 1 lb just to try out.

Lastly, I cast a vote for the Dillon 550.
Your list and mine seem to be pretty close.

Last edited by J Lee; 09-11-2013 at 14:05..
Old 09-11-2013, 14:36   #14
F106 Fan

Quote:
My N320 totally disappears into the abyss of a .45 case.

Well... there is the 1050.
The 1050 is an even 'righter' choice!

Converting the 1050 from .45 ACP to .223 was a difficult decision. I don't shoot a lot of .223 but I do shoot a lot of .45 ACP which is why I bought the 1050 in the first place.

But the 650 will make .45 ACP in a pretty big hurry and if I hadn't already had the 1050, I might have just settled for the 650. Caliber conversions are a lot cheaper and a whole lot faster on the 650.

Maybe we'll start shooting a lot of .223 so using the 1050 won't be such a waste.

I highly recommend the 1050 for your 9mm reloading as it seems like that is the caliber you load in dumpster quantities. I plan to use the 650 for everything else because it is easy to convert.

Richard
Old 09-11-2013, 14:37   #15
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lee View Post
From the data I have looked up, really want to try 231 and WSF.
WSF seems to be a very clean burning powder. At 5.7 gr with a 180 gr JHP in .40 S&W, there is hardly any cleanup after a day of shooting.

Richard
Old 09-11-2013, 14:56   #16
md21

I'm getting consistent, great results with Winchester 231 for both 45acp 230gr fmj and 9mm 124fmj. Seems especially consistent for the 45, even though I'm reloading both on the same equipment.
md21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:26   #17
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Some folks don't want to get used to shooting mousefart competition loads.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:10   #18
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Some folks don't want to get used to shooting mousefart competition loads.

Probably a good idea because I really noticed a difference when I picked up a Desert Eagle .50AE and shot it.

ETA: The OP mentioned GSSF though...

Last edited by SARDG; 09-12-2013 at 11:11..
Old 09-12-2013, 11:33   #19
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Ah. Then yes. Heavy boolit, quick powder.

Nothing wrong with 231. Sort of an in-betweener.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:50   #20
dla

Makes me sick that so many people can't see past Unique. There are soooooo many better powders available today that it is absolutely mentally defective to get fixated on a mediocre powder like Unique. Folks need to get out more.

Last edited by dla; 09-12-2013 at 11:50..
dla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:38   #21
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
...Folks need to get out more.
No kidding! I still drink Jameson on the rocks.

...but I use N320 and other VVs.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:44   #22
sourdough44

Win 231 would work fine, as others.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:45   #23
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Makes me sick that so many people can't see past Unique. There are soooooo many better powders available today that it is absolutely mentally defective to get fixated on a mediocre powder like Unique. Folks need to get out more.

How dare you.......

Old 09-12-2013, 13:01   #24
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
For me, the proof is on the targets. I don't dwell on the rest of it. It makes some great loads.

What's your favorite in that range of burn rates?