Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-10-2013, 16:39   #21
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

I don't need a ccw permit by virture of my l.e. credentials, however I do get one anyway to show support for my local sheriff. which reminds me, mine expired 4 days ago, must get it renewed soon.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 18:03   #22
as400guy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
I don't think much of people who only deal in absolutes.

jmho

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4
Isn't that an absolute?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
as400guy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 18:52   #23
Bruce M

Even if he mostly never uses it, it seems that having the permit just in case he may want to use it sometime would be the better choice.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:15   #24
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Change jobs, drop out of college & ditch the ol' lady.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:35   #25
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerTGO View Post
If he is pro 2a, he should get a permit even if he has no intention of carrying. He will be adding to the number of permit holders, and thus he will be taking a position.
Even if his wife is anti carry, there usually are places where even anti carry people feel safer with a handgun. Downtown restaurants (depending on the city) at night, camping, road trips, etc.
I agree. Your friend should also try to convince his wife to get her CCW. If he has a CCW and for some reason he gets injured and she needs to take possession of the gun, then she will be able to legally CCW until she gets home with the gun. Especially if they're on vacation in another state.

CCW's are cheap, lawyers are expensive.

Last edited by ICARRY2; 09-11-2013 at 12:37..
ICARRY2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:40   #26
Bigpoppie50

It is best to get your CCW unless you like ending up in court spending hundreds or may be even thousands on a defense lawyer. My days of taking unnecessary risks are long gone.
Bigpoppie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:22   #27
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFratelli View Post
What do you think of the following?

I had a chat with a friend of mine about getting a CCW permit. His response is "why bother."

Well,that's odd .I ask for clarification and he says this: he works at an office which bans CCW,takes a class at a college which prohibits firearms on campus property including the parking lot,and he shares a car with his wife who works at a government building .Considering he spends most of his waking hours in gun free zones, a CCW permit would only entitle him to carry at home anyways-hence,why bother.

I couldnt refute any of his points .What say you all?
He has the same attitude as the people that flock to the gunshop when the rioting starts only to find the authorities have banned the sale of guns.

Get it before you need it.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 16:43   #28
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Well if that is all the man does in life.. I guess a permit may not afford him much in the way of extra ability. One the other hand, most people have a life outside of work and school.
Old 09-13-2013, 16:44   #29
eb07
Sharkin'

He is a defeatist. I would stop associating with him.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:34   #30
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post
My office is gun-free, I spend a lot of time on government property for my job. My wife runs a child care center, suffice to say gun free too.

I carry everywhere else.

You can try to discuss with your friend, but if he objects, he doesn't care and you won't forcibly change his mind. When a bad guy shows up in his face, it's your right not to care either and use your firearm effectively to ensure your withdrawal from the situation.
Your signature indicates Houston. I know of no gun laws here in TX that ban carry in a day care unless it's posted with a properly worded and formatted 30.06 sign. Even if it were, since your wife runs it, as you indicate, she can simply write you a notarized letter giving you permission to disregard that posting (if it existed).

Unless I am mistaken, and if I am someone please show me how I am... day cares are not schools, and therefore do not fall under the school gun free zone rules in TX
Old 09-16-2013, 13:27   #31
NavyMSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Your signature indicates Houston. I know of no gun laws here in TX that ban carry in a day care unless it's posted with a properly worded and formatted 30.06 sign. Even if it were, since your wife runs it, as you indicate, she can simply write you a notarized letter giving you permission to disregard that posting (if it existed).

Unless I am mistaken, and if I am someone please show me how I am... day cares are not schools, and therefore do not fall under the school gun free zone rules in TX
A childcare center is a school according to the state.

They do not require a 30.06, but they do politely post a reminder that its a felony.

[ETA]:

Texas Penal Code 46.03 just says "on the physical premises of a school or educational institution"

Texas Penal Code 46.11(c)(2) "School" means a private or public elementary school or secondary school.

Texas Education Code Title 2 Subtitle A Chapter 5
5.001 Definitions
(6-a) "Private school" means a school that:
(A) offers a course of instruction for students in one or more grades from prekindergarten through grade 12; and
(B) is not operated by a governmental agency.

Most childcare centers are a "Private school" that cover Pre-K curricula... And in my wife's case, absolutely Pre-K.

Not all cover Pre-K, so I think that is the only critical difference.

Last edited by NavyMSU; 09-16-2013 at 13:47..
NavyMSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 13:45   #32
HarleyGuy

Lots of good reasons for getting a concealed carry licenses.

Here in Michigan we now have well over 414,000 CPL's issued.

Can you imagine how much effect that many voters could have in changing laws and/or electing pro gun candidates to office?

With MILLIONS of law-abiding citizens holding carry licenses, it won't long (just a bit of solidarity) until we'll be able to change things in D.C.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 18:53   #33
4Rules

Vacation?
Day off?
Road trip?
Errand?
Got milk?
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote