Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2011, 14:02   #1
Hicksville Kid

Finally made the leap to a Red Dot on my Glock 34

I finally have a red dot on my Glock 34. After lurking and asking questions I went ahead and added the red dot. I worked with my gun shop guy (Glock Dealer/Armoror) and ordered what I wanted and he did the installation. He boresighted it with a laser boresighter and I went to the range and refined it on paper with a rest. I went with a Burris FastFire II ($199) and the Burris Glock mount ($40). If money were no object, I would have gone with an Eos.

Sights, Optics and Lasers

I'm very happy with the way it shoots. I previously had a $0.25 trigger job done and a 3.5#link installed. It shoots like a dream and the reset is amazing. I'm getting used to it and I only let go of the trigger once in a while. It is fast. My shooting has improved (I keep stats) by about 15% over the iron sights. My old eyes just don't do iron sights well. I have red dots on my Ruger MK III and my Smith and Wesson Model 41 and I am going to do my Beretta 92 the same way.

I got a laugh when the Burris was delivered to the house by UPS. On the box was a red sticker that read "Delicate Instruments, Handle with Great Care." Right! It's now on my Glock 34 slide taking about a gazillion g's each time it is fired.
Hicksville Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 14:09   #2
Grafuki

Send a message via AIM to Grafuki Send a message via MSN to Grafuki
Nice! Looks good. I always wanted to shoot a Glock with a red dot.
Old 01-24-2011, 18:16   #3
CDR_Glock

How does that fit in a holster?

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/titaniummd
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 19:07   #4
Hicksville Kid

What holster?

I don't even own a holster. It's a range gun (as are all of my guns) and for home defense.

I have a CCW but not a small 9mm or .380. When I purchase one or the other, I will also purchase a holster. I want to get a bit more training before I get moving on that.

Until then, I'll shoot my Glock at the range.
Old 01-24-2011, 20:35   #5
csx2031

I agree with all your comments, and I have the same brands as you. By the way. Hix was my home also
csx2031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 00:01   #6
BadKarma1208
INFIDEL

I have the docter sight on my 34. I use the the cross breed holster. I have used it as an EDC gun but just during the winter. I am doing much better at the range also.
Old 01-27-2011, 18:15   #7
pedropcola

What did that require in the way of fitting the dovetail? Machining? Can you go back to OEM sights or is the dovetail changed? Thanks.
pedropcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 18:29   #8
rfe959

Send a message via Yahoo to rfe959
Nice, real nice...
Old 01-28-2011, 14:38   #9
Hicksville Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropcola View Post
What did that require in the way of fitting the dovetail? Machining? Can you go back to OEM sights or is the dovetail changed? Thanks.
You can go back to the OEM sights if you like. There is no machining. Just place the small mount part with two screw holes in the dove tail opening and place the mount and optic on top. Drop the screws through the optic and the mount into the small part in the dove tail and tighten. It pulls the small part up in the dove tail and tightens it. Going back to OEM sights is easy. Just unscrew the optic and remove. Push the originals back in the dove tail.
Old 01-28-2011, 23:10   #10
denn1911

I like your set up. I am considering a red dot on my G35. I was thinking of either a RMR or a DeltaPoint, but I have to do some research.
denn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:15   #11
Hicksville Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by denn1911 View Post
I like your set up. I am considering a red dot on my G35. I was thinking of either a RMR or a DeltaPoint, but I have to do some research.
Just a little information that I've gleaned from my red dots:

After practicing shooting steel with my G34 with the Burris FastFire II (half the cost of the two you mentioned) I realized that I was going though ammo at a pretty significant rate. I figured I shoot my .22s that have CHEAP red dots on them. I paid $60 and $80 for them. They are stationary on the gun and do not move with the slide so the reliability should be good. No problems as yet.

I went through the same drills as with the G34 and I found that the dot was much harder to pick up in sunlight on the cheap red dots. I knew when I bought them that the dots on the cheap ones do not automatically modify the dot due to ambient light conditions. They are variable but not that bright even on max. It hasn't been much of a problem when I was just punching paper, but quick acquisition while shooting steel is a big problem in bright sunlight. I'm sure most everyone knows this, but I think it bears repeating.

My Burris is a 4 MOA dot and, given the ranges of the steel shooting, I should have gone with a bigger MOA dot which I don't think is available at the price of the Burris FF. I never realized it would be a problem and I never asked the question.

I would suggest that you look into it. I will when I put a red dot on my Beretta 92FS.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:41   #12
SARDG

I have an 8 MOA C-More Railway on my Ruger MKIII that I use for steel and it seems perfect. Knocked almost 2 seconds off of each stage over the iron sites.

I also use that gun for Bullseye, and that 8 MOA just about covers the entire bull at 50 yds. I turn it down a little and that helps and I can still pick up the dot. I added about 100 points in Bullseye .22 with the C-More, over iron sights. Clearly, I'm too blind to do any good with only iron.

Since I don't have a 1911, I told the Bullseye group that I am going to 'accurize' my G21. They laughed of course - but said they'd be happy to take my money and record my results.

I'm in the middle of that project but have mounted a 4 MOA Aimpoint Micro R-1 on my G21 using an Aimpoint Glock dovetail mount. The 4 MOA is infinitely better at 50 yds, but it's a bit harder (for me) to pick up and stay with the dot in those tube/scope type red-dots. That Aimpoint is built like a truck and Aimpont sells a Glock mount, so I don't expect any problems with long-term reliability. The G21 cycles just fine with all stock parts. I picked the R-1 up at Midway when they were closing them out for $300. The C-More is an aluminum model with click-stop illumination and was also $300.

I have a G34, but shoot that in IDPA in SSP - though I've used it in steel with the Tru-Glo TFOs I have on it.

Last edited by SARDG; 01-30-2011 at 16:17.. Reason: typo AND corrected reference of Steel to Bullseye
SARDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35   #13
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Looks like my next set up!!!

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 14:19   #14
JRS

I'm jealous. Might be my cheap attempt at a glock red dot before having my slide milled and going the RMR route. This would be for a carry gun, and I've heard that you want at least a 7 or 8 MOA for that purpose, which seems to be echoed in this thread.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 22:42   #15
BadKarma1208
INFIDEL

I made the jump and had the slide milled. I had the slide cerkoted OD green and serrations put on the front of the slide. I love it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire