SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-09-2013, 15:00   #1
MIDep

Need some input from the ladies on the G27

Ladies:

My wife has recently decided to get her CPL (finally!) and has decided that she wants a G27. I have and regularly carry a G23 which she handles and shoots without issue (and actually quite enjoys the .40). She is 5'2 and about 130, small build and small hands. She does fine with the G23 as I said, but I worry somewhat that the .40 will be too much for her with the shorter grip.

Have any of you shot both the 27 and 23 and if so, did you notice any significant difference in control-ability due to the smaller grip?
MIDep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 15:37   #2
AZ Husker

I read this to my daughter who asked me to respond. While she wanted to love the G26 because of the size it just never fit her hand. She shot both the 26 and the 19 alot before deciding on the 19 that fit her hand without her little finger kinda hanging out in space. Plus she finds it no more difficult to conceal. Since the .40's are the same size the same issue would happen, but then another factor comes into play. The increased recoil of the G27 would make it even more difficult to do fast and efficient followup shots, especially in a woman's weaker hands (no offense ladies).
Old 09-09-2013, 16:47   #3
LurpyGeek

I carry a 27 and it is perfect for me.

My wife is not a "firearms enthusiast" but she does come shooting with me occasionally. .40 is just a bit much for her. She is 5' 8" and about your wife's same weight. Not exceptionally strong in her forearms, not to say that she isn't fit.

She has a .380 that is much more comfortable and controllable for her to shoot. .22 LR is the only thing that she would really consider "enjoyable" to shoot.

But everyone is different.
The above text may or may not represent the views of Glock Talk, LurpyGeek, or various personalities contained therein. May not be reproduced without the express written consent of Major League Baseball. Keep out of reach of children. Consult a doctor before reading. May cause drowsiness, itching, apathy and vomiting. Do not resume sexual activity while operating heavy machinery. Thank you and good day.
LurpyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 16:59   #4
ithaca_deerslayer

This is a no brainer. Let her buy the 27. If she doesn't like it, you have a new gun

At worst, she'll like it.

Old 09-09-2013, 23:19   #5
Glockinfinity

I have 2 suggestions for you:

Nothing lacking about 9mm and it's much more manageable and pleasant to shoot. .40 in a sub can be snappy and no fun after about 50 rds. Trust me. I'm a big guy and have evolved from 9mm to .40 to .45 to .40 and now, all the way back to 9mm as my favorite pistol chambering. G26 is a fine pistol. I own 2 G27's, among others, but my next Glock will be a G26.

Glock subcompacts are usually most comfortable when used with a "Pearce Grip Extension". Simply replace the magazine floorplate with a well-made, perfectly matching finger extension and you'll be happy. You can get ones that either keep the original magazine capacity or increase capacity, which is often an advantage. I recommend the PG-2733, which adds 2 rounds of 9mm to your 10 round magazine, for a 20% increase.
http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-2733
Women's Issues
Glockinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 00:25   #6
SARDG

I'm a gal, 5'9" who has been shooting competitively for >40 years and the .40 cal round does nothing for me. Although the .40 Short & Weak was developed as a follow-on round to the 10mil - but easier to shoot and shorter for a smaller grip - I get no joy from shooting that still-snappy round. I bought a G24 because I could, shot it a few times in Bowling Pins, then put it away; my only .40cal.

I own all of Glock's 9s, but my EDC is a Kahr PM-9 because it is so much easier to CCW with women's fashions - especially in Florida. The very best gun for self defense, is a gun that will be carried - all the time. Purse carry is NOT an option IMO. It's more than opinion actually, as I have had my purse snatched and I'm tall and was in good shape during that era.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 00:50   #7
AZ Husker

Why stick a large extenision to the bottom of a baby Glock only to make it the size of a midsize? Why not just go to the superior mid-size to begin with?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01   #8
Glockinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
Why stick a large extenision to the bottom of a baby Glock only to make it the size of a midsize? Why not just go to the superior mid-size to begin with?
Only 5/8" extension and you can get 2 extra rounds with that. It's just enough to add and rest that pinky finger on your grip and make it feel right. I could not stand to shoot my Baby G's without it.
Old 09-10-2013, 15:21   #9
AZ Husker

Same length as a G19 then. My point exactly! It's not the barrel lengh that is hard to hide, it's the grip. So why not have a longer more accurate sight plane?
Old 09-10-2013, 20:58   #10
Glockinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
Same length as a G19 then. My point exactly! It's not the barrel lengh that is hard to hide, it's the grip. So why not have a longer more accurate sight plane?
Not saying what's right for me is right for everyone else, but this pic may show the differences. G27 w/Pearce Grip PG-2733 in foreground, aligned with G19 in background. Only the very tip of the front of the G27 w/PG-2733 is equal to the grip length of the FRAME of the G19. The rest of the PG-2733 extension tapers back and up nicely to match the lines of the G27 grip. As shown, the magazine floorplate of the G19 and a significant portion of its grip extends well beyond the dimensions of the G27 2/PG-2733.
Women's Issues
Old 09-10-2013, 21:19   #11
ithaca_deerslayer

The 26 is clearly smaller than the 19, even with the grip extension. Heck some people pay a lot of money for a 1911 that has the butt of the grip rounded off, just so that corner doesn't print.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 21:33   #12
Green Mountain Boy

My fiancé shot my 23 and 27 on her way to the 26 I got for her. That 26 talked me into getting one of my own.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 19:32   #13
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

I like 9mm and .45. Can't see the point of .40 - just one more set of dies I'd have to get to reload.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 19:42   #14
Hunters21w

Have her rent one and let her decide? I'd be willing to bet she will enjoy the 26 more.
Hunters21w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26   #15
ca survivor

if you or your wife are set on a .40, try the H&K P-2000 SK very soft recoil for a .40
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41   #16
Buttapollock1010

My wife likes her 26. Has no issue shooting it. I would rent a 26.
Buttapollock1010 is offline   Reply With Quote