Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:35   #1
Manimal

SBR question...

Once I receive my tax stamp, am I supposed to have the lower receiver engraved with the number of the stamp?

Thanks ahead of time.
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:38   #2
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

I don't think so. Only on the barrel.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 13:07   #3
ColdBlooded

No. Your tax stamp paperwork will also have the serial number of the firearm. To match the tax stamp to the firearms, just look at the paperwork.

You don't need to go be any more redundant than that.
Old 08-14-2013, 13:24   #4
Manimal

Thanks, this is my first Tax stamp so I wasn't sure. Is it common practice to have that done?
Old 08-14-2013, 13:28   #5
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Common practice is to get the lower receiver engraved first, then submit the form 1 with the serial number. That way, if the engraver messes up, or lose the lower in shipping, then you will not have to deal with correcting paperwork.

ETA: The "stamp number" is the serial number of the firearm you are registering.

Last edited by LA_357SIG; 08-14-2013 at 17:33..
LA_357SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 13:41   #6
Manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
Common practice is to get the lower receiver engraved first, then submit the form 1 with the serial number. That way, if the engraver messes up, or lose the lower in shipping, then you will not have to deal with correcting paperwork.

ETA: The "stamp number" is the serial number of the firearm you are regestering.
Got it, thank you!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 17:32   #7
WoodenPlank
Who?

Assuming it's a commercial lower that came with a serial number already on it, all you need to get engraved is your name (As on the paperwork) and your city + state of residence. If you used a trust, it's the name of the trust and city + state where it's based.

Also, note that you don't have to update/change the engraving if you move, as it's supposed to reflect that information at the time the item was created.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:34   #8
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Assuming it's a commercial lower that came with a serial number already on it, all you need to get engraved is your name (As on the paperwork) and your city + state of residence. If you used a trust, it's the name of the trust and city + state where it's based.

Also, note that you don't have to update/change the engraving if you move, as it's supposed to reflect that information at the time the item was created.
This is the correct information. There's no reason to wait to get this information engraved on the receiver either. Do it now and when your tax stamp comes you'll be street legal.

On my AR sbr I put the engraving on the front of the mag well. You never see it there

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:41   #9
Manimal

Now do I have to have it engraved?

I like that idea of doing the engraving in the front of the mag well.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58   #10
wct097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
I don't think so. Only on the barrel.
What? Where did you come up with this? Don't engrave anything on your barrel, especially with an AR15 SBR where you want to retain the ability to swap uppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post

I like that idea of doing the engraving in the front of the mag well.
Yes, the ATF mandates that you must engrave it. I've personally spoken with a lady at the NFA branch that confirmed this for me. You must engrave it with the name, city and state "as it appears" you put in box 3b on the Form 1 .

There are a number of places that can do it for you. I used Ident Marking and was pleased with their work. They have some pictures on their site.... I just did it above the trigger pin. I've see people doing it on the front of the mag well and the bottom of the trigger guard (with integrated trigger guards), or on both sides of the bottom under the trigger guard (above and below the trigger itself).

Free Fire Zone
Free Fire Zone
Free Fire Zone

Last edited by wct097; 08-15-2013 at 08:00..
wct097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:05   #11
Manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
What? Where did you come up with this? Don't engrave anything on your barrel, especially with an AR15 SBR where you want to retain the ability to swap uppers.

Yes, the ATF mandates that you must engrave it. I've personally spoken with a lady at the NFA branch that confirmed this for me. You must engrave it with the name, city and state "as it appears" you put in box 3b on the Form 1 .

There are a number of places that can do it for you. I used Ident Marking and was pleased with their work. They have some pictures on their site.... I just did it above the trigger pin. I've see people doing it on the front of the mag well and the bottom of the trigger guard (with integrated trigger guards), or on both sides of the bottom under the trigger guard (above and below the trigger itself).

Free Fire Zone
Free Fire Zone
Free Fire Zone
LOVE IT!!!

And thank you.

You wouldn't happen to know of any reputable engravers down here in South Florida?

Last edited by Manimal; 08-15-2013 at 08:07..
Old 08-15-2013, 08:10   #12
wct097

Quote:
LOVE IT!!!

And thank you.

You wouldn't happen to know of any reputable engravers down here in South Florida?
I don't. This is the only SBR I've completed, so I've only had it done once. I want to build another couple and will probably be using Ident again in the future. Theoretically, anyone that does engraving should be able to do the work. A Jeweler or even a kiosk in the mall. You can look up the requirements to take with you if you're not having someone experienced in NFA firearms do the work. I needs to be a certain depth and size.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31   #13
vettely

I had mine engraved at a local trophy shop. They did a nice job. Also you can abbreviate. I did first initial last name, abbreviated city, TX.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47   #14
wct097

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettely View Post
I had mine engraved at a local trophy shop. They did a nice job. Also you can abbreviate. I did first initial last name, abbreviated city, TX.
I spoke with Robin at the NFA branch in October of 2012 regarding this issue and she very specifically told me that the only thing you can abbreviate is the state. The name has to match EXACTLY what you put on the Form 1 in box 3b.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:55   #15
swinokur

if you do a trust, keep the name of the trust short. Less space required.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18   #16
vettely

Quote:
I spoke with Robin at the NFA branch in October of 2012 regarding this issue and she very specifically told me that the only thing you can abbreviate is the state. The name has to match EXACTLY what you put on the Form 1 in box 3b.
I don't know about Robin, but here is the link to the ATF. Having done SBR and Silencer, I have found that you can get different answers from different Agents. Some, if not most, seem to not be exactly pro gun. I believe it is only a trust that can not be abbreviated. To the OP, do not use "multi" caliber on your form or it will be kicked back.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/i...-overview.html
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19   #17
wct097

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
if you do a trust, keep the name of the trust short. Less space required.
I agree. If I had it to do over again, my trust name would be "WCT Trust" rather than "The <my full name> Revocable Trust". I wanted to do that originally, but the attorney convinced me that I could abbreviate and it wasn't a big deal. The ATF said otherwise and I already had a Form 4 in play using the newly formed trust, so I'm stuck with the long name that takes up two lines on the side of my receiver. In the end, however, it really doesn't matter.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:53   #18
Manimal

Quote:
I agree. If I had it to do over again, my trust name would be "WCT Trust" rather than "The <my full name> Revocable Trust". I wanted to do that originally, but the attorney convinced me that I could abbreviate and it wasn't a big deal. The ATF said otherwise and I already had a Form 4 in play using the newly formed trust, so I'm stuck with the long name that takes up two lines on the side of my receiver. In the end, however, it really doesn't matter.
Man I could have used that tid bit a week ago
Old 08-15-2013, 11:56   #19
wct097

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettely View Post
I don't know about Robin, but here is the link to the ATF. Having done SBR and Silencer, I have found that you can get different answers from different Agents. Some, if not most, seem to not be exactly pro gun. I believe it is only a trust that can not be abbreviated. To the OP, do not use "multi" caliber on your form or it will be kicked back.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/i...-overview.html
It could very well be just a trust thing. I've heard of examiners rejecting forms because the name of the trust on the form didn't include "The" at the beginning of it. Dana Pickles is not that anal as of early 2013 as I have two stamps with his signature, one with "The", the other without.

I'm the type that would prefer to play it safe in regards to the ATF. If there are mixed messages as to if something it permissible, I'm going to err on the side of caution. If you had an examiner tell you that abbreviations are a no go and I had an examiner tell me that they're OK, I'm probably just going to avoid the issue all together and forget about abbreviating. Not worth the potential hassle over a one time engraving that's tougher to fix than to do "right" the first time.
Old 09-05-2013, 21:17   #20
Chevytuff19

I just paid for and sent the paperwork for a SBR this afternoon. I specifically asked about engraving the lower and the dealer said that I shouldn't have to unless the ATF specifically requested that I do it in a letter before I can get approved.
Chevytuff19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 17:00   #21
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
That is a good question.

Should you? Yes, it makes your life easier and you are very safe.

Do you have to? Well, I know others have talked to the ATF and were told they did. I have a letter saying I don't have to. Now it is an old letter. Can they change the rules to suit them, .....I don't know.

Again, should you....HELL yes.
Old 09-06-2013, 19:54   #22
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevytuff19 View Post
I just paid for and sent the paperwork for a SBR this afternoon. I specifically asked about engraving the lower and the dealer said that I shouldn't have to unless the ATF specifically requested that I do it in a letter before I can get approved.

Yes, it needs to be engraved.
Old 09-08-2013, 20:17   #23
KML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevytuff19 View Post
Yes it needs to.I have two that I form-1 and I had to engrave and one I bought from a individual that has his info engraved.I have a also talked to two agents that were doing a inspection of a local classIII dealer a d both said yes to engraving.
KML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 19:10   #24
baxsom

I just joined the site here but saw this thread and since I just got my form 1 back a few weeks ago I thought I would throw out what the ATF examiner told me about engraving. He said to put the name of my trust and city and state in 4H since I am using a trust and then have only that info engraved. I used Ident Marking for the service, very fast turn around.
baxsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 17:28   #25
floored

some good info in here about engraving and abbreviations
floored is offline   Reply With Quote