GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:48   #1
Narkcop

Why is it that education doesn't make most people smart?

In my experience education level does not equate to smart. Look how the mainstream media influences the sheeple who by and large are well educated. One example is how people are buying into this notion of bombing Syria because the media is telling them "It's the right thing to do". That is now the catch phrase of this bunch of KOOKS.
Narkcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:26   #2
bigdogmurph
Lifetime Membership

As Ron White would say, you can't fix stupid.
bigdogmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31   #3
farscott

Who says that most Americans are well-educated? Most are functionally illiterate, cannot do basic math (ever watch people make change or compute a tip??), and have no understanding of basic physics. Combine that with people who have an agenda and you get where we are.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31   #4
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

knowledge does not equal wisdom.

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:35   #5
gommer

Because education shows your ability to learn.

Being intelligent means you can figure it out.
gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:39   #6
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Because our education system revolves around memorization and regurgitating what you memorized on a test. Memorization capability does not equate to intelligence.

It's like the age old question, who is more intelligent, a doctor or an engineer?

I know doctors that wouldn't even know where to begin to change the oil on their car. Even if the engineer didn't know how to do it, they could figure it out.

Last edited by Fear Night; 09-05-2013 at 07:04..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:48   #7
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

We don't teach our children how to learn we teach them what to learn.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:54   #8
railfancwb

Even a truly well educated person is not necessarily smart. There may be a lack of ability to apply that education to real world situations.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:09   #9
Herzeleid
Kein Mitleid

Intelligence - the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

Sometimes, you can't teach folks how to apply that knowledge and skills they picked up from whatever education they received....
Herzeleid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:16   #10
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer View Post

That is an excellent explanation.

I work with a lot of highly educated people, many with doctorates.

Some of them are brilliant. Others, I wonder how they dress themselves before they come to work.

Some of the highly educated think they already know enough and shouldn't have to figure out anything.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20   #11
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkcop View Post
In my experience education level does not equate to smart. Look how the mainstream media influences the sheeple who by and large are well educated. One example is how people are buying into this notion of bombing Syria because the media is telling them "It's the right thing to do". That is now the catch phrase of this bunch of KOOKS.
Being able/wanting to change ones own oil is not a sign of intelligence. I bet with time a chimp could be trained to do it.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:23   #12
automatic slim
Walmart Shopper

This is a highly complicated subject, that I know nothing about...

What a crappy chameleon.
automatic slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:26   #13
blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer View Post

And wisdom and common sense are even more valuable when combined with education and intelligence. It's a rare mix, though.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:58   #14
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
Being able/wanting to change ones own oil is not a sign of intelligence. I bet with time a chimp could be trained to do it.
That's completely not the point. The point is, with any problem thrown at them, the intelligent person should be able to work to solve the problem on their own, with little to no training involved. Changing oil is just a very simple example of thousands that could be used.

Yes, with training even a chimp or the dumbest in our society could do most tasks, but that does not make them an intelligent problem solver.

Last edited by Fear Night; 09-05-2013 at 07:10..
Old 09-05-2013, 07:11   #15
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Intelligence is the limit on how much you can be taught. Education is teaching you the stuff.

Think of it like this - intelligence is the size of the glass, and with education you fill the glass.

However, I believe there are several different types of intelligence. There are probably doctors who could describe every aspect of the human heart, and diagnose and (within current technology) cure any disease or condition affecting it. However, they probably could not change their own oil or wire a house. Likewise, there are probably very brilliant automotive engineers out there that do not change their own oil or even work on their own car. My own brother-in-law is a controls electrician, but doesn't like to mess with house wiring.

But that begs the question - is it because they cannot figure it out, or is it because they are wealthy enough to pay someone else to do it, too busy to have time to do it, and don't have any interest in doing it themselves? Mechanical things (for the doctor example) just don't interest everybody. And perhaps the engineer just doesn't want to do it.

There are a few things I pay to have done that I could do myself, just because I don't want to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 09-05-2013 at 07:15..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:13   #16
Bruce M

I think generally people who are smarter tend to be more educated, but I agree not always.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:15   #17
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkcop View Post
I agree with you. Education is not the same as intelligence. Intelligence may be wasted if you don't have the education to use it and education may be wasted if you don't have the intelligence to use it, but their relationship to one another is like an engine and fuel, the intellect being the engine and education being the fuel. These days, education is a lot more common then intelligence and it is often wasted on stupid people.

As for Syria, it depends on what you mean by "right." Is it a question answered on moral, practical, legal, etc. grounds?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:16   #18
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

I am reminded of some rocket scientists (yes real rocket scientists) I knew who would often come to work wearing two different color socks or shoes, or with their t-shirt inside out. And these guys were military officers.

They were good at what they did for a living though.

Regards,
Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 09-05-2013 at 07:20..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:18   #19
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
That's completely not the point. The point is, with any problem thrown at them, the intelligent person should be able to work to solve the problem on their own, with little to no training involved. Changing oil is just a very simple example of thousands that could be used.

Yes, with training even a chimp or the dumbest in our society could do most tasks, but that does not make them an intelligent problem solver.
A lot of problem solving comes from experience, not just "intelligence". I know some complete morons who could replace a head gasket but can barely do math. They have been around it their entire lives and just know how to do it.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20   #20
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
Intelligence is the limit on how much you can be taught. Education is teaching you the stuff.

Think of it like this - intelligence is the size of the glass, and with education you fill the glass.

However, I believe there are several different types of intelligence. There are probably doctors who could describe every aspect of the human heart, and diagnose and (within current technology) cure any disease or condition affecting it. However, they probably could not change their own oil or wire a house. Likewise, there are probably very brilliant automotive engineers out there that do not change their own oil or even work on their own car. My own brother-in-law is a controls electrician, but doesn't like to mess with house wiring.

But that begs the question - is it because they cannot figure it out, or is it because they are wealthy enough to pay someone else to do it, too busy to have time to do it, and don't have any interest in doing it themselves? Mechanical things (for the doctor example) just don't interest everybody. And perhaps the engineer just doesn't want to do it.

There are a few things I pay to have done that I could do myself, just because I don't want to do it.
It depends. The doctors I know, some of which are in my wife's family, will just throw their hands up in frustration with anything related to technology. Some can't even figure out how to sync their iPhone to their PC, or clear a paper jam, let alone get into the engineering side of technology. I can assure you these individuals wished they could work well with technology, but they are forced to seek outside help.

Open up Eclipse and tell them to code a "Hello World" program, which would be a complete laughable joke for any engineer, and they would probably throw the monitor out the window.

Their minds would be blown if they knew just how deep that rabbit hole goes. When I try to explain to them what I do at work, I just get a blank stare like what I said went right over their head.

Last edited by Fear Night; 09-05-2013 at 08:19..
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20   #21
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
I am reminded of some rocket scientists (yes real rocket scientists) I knew who would often come to work wearing two different color socks or shoes, or with their t-shirt inside out.

They were good at what they did for a living though.

Regards,
Happyguy
I'm no rocket scientist but I did that (the shirt) the first morning back at work after my son was born.

Never done the sock thing but I match my socks as I fold laundry so that shouldn't happen.

Lack of sleep can be a bear.

Quote:
Old 09-05-2013, 07:42   #22
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

My old boss had a saying, the world is full of people that have been educated well beyond the level of their intelligence.

Knowledge can be taught but intelligence cannot.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:01   #23
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I agree with you. Education is not the same as intelligence. Intelligence may be wasted if you don't have the education to use it and education may be wasted if you don't have the intelligence to use it, but their relationship to one another is like an engine and fuel, the intellect being the engine and education being the fuel. These days, education is a lot more common then intelligence and it is often wasted on stupid people.

As for Syria, it depends on what you mean by "right." Is it a question answered on moral, practical, legal, etc. grounds?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
My old boss had a saying, the world is full of people that have been educated well beyond the level of their intelligence.

Knowledge can be taught but intelligence cannot.

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:07   #24
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
It depends. The doctors I know, some of which are in my wife's family, will just throw their hands up in frustration with anything related to technology. Some can't even figure out how to sync their iPhone to their PC, or clear a paper jam, let alone get into the engineering side of technology. I can assure you these individuals wished their could work well with technology, but they are forced to seek outside help.

Open up Eclipse and tell them to code a "Hello World" program, which would be a complete laughable joke for any engineer, and they would probably throw the monitor out the window.

Their minds would be blown if they knew just how deep that rabbit hole goes. When I try to explain to them what I do at work, I just get a blank stare like what I said went right over their head.
Yeah, but there are no Engineer license plates. Nor do you hear, "Oh my God. This man has collapsed. Call an Engineer!"

To the original question: Me duznt now.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:09   #25
GVFlyer

Quote:
Because our education system revolves around memorization and regurgitating what you memorized on a test. Memorization capability does not equate to intelligence.
That depends on the discipline. You are completely right in some areas of study. A close friend thought that he wanted to be a doctor - until he began his studies and found most doctors not to be that intelligent - more like savants with exceptional rote memorization skills.

He gained his Ph.D and now develops high level medical business strategies for a Fortune 50 Company. Such a job requires an agile brain and provides him the opportunity to function in an intellectually challenging area while associating with equally smart guys.

The levels of learning are Rote, Understanding, Application and Correlation. Those functioning at the Correlation level have certainly benefited from their education.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote