SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:49   #1
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

"Back in my day" nonsense.

Yes being a younger guy older people always tell me how my stuff is bad and what they used to do, and it seems like there looking back through a filter.

I always love the "we weren't playing video games we were outside every day all the time." Then i bring up what they did during downpours, blizzards, ice storms and other greatest hits of the northeast's bipolar weather, they say they still went out. Then I ask them their favorite T.V. shows were and they name a million, so obviously they were inside watching tv not playing outside.

Or the we walked everywhere uphill both ways nosnsense. Busses existed if you lived in a city.

Whats your favorite things you were told.?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54   #2
Rabid Rabbit

When he was 16, my dads family of 5 lived in a 16 foot camper for two years (he slept in a unheated shed) while my grandfather worked on the buildings for the manhatten project in Washington state.
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55   #3
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

It is true though, as a kid (and I am under 40) we played outside all day most everyday. If it rained, we waited for it to stop (often in the garage) or played in the rain. (no winter storms where I grew up)

Sure we watched TV, all 5 channels...the Bozo show before school and whatever our parents had on at night along with Saturday morning cartoons.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:08   #4
RedTop

Ditto what Rabbi said. Sure we watched TV but there really wasn't a big choice. All I remember was the A-Team and Dukes of Hazzard on Friday nights during the middle 80's. And, of course, Dallas. (Early teens for me).

We were always outside, and had to be home when the street light came on.
RedTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:18   #5
deputy tom

I agree with a couple of posters above. It was up-hill both ways. Google Pittsburgh's steepest streets and you'll see why. Growing up in the 1950's-60's we didn't have much TV action in our house. We played outside year 'round and had to be in when the streetlights came on except in winter months when sled riding in the woods or shoveling snow. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:21   #6
Stevekozak
Returning video

When I was a kid, I really did play outside all the time that it was permissible to be outside. When it rained, I played inside until it stopped raining. In the winter, I waited impatiently for the temp to get above freezing so I could go play outside. this involved bi-hourly trips out to the thermometer on the clothesline pole to check for the mercury to reach that vaunted height. Also, sometimes a little judicious breathing on the thermometer to help the weather..... I was healthier as a kid than I have ever been since.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:25   #7
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Yes, I was a young whippersnapper once, but back in my day we didn;t have time to start threads on the internet as we too busy walking up hill both ways going to school.

One thing is for sure, back in my day (and today as well) we never wasted valuable hunting or fishing time shoveling rain.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:27   #8
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Again, it has to be emphasized that "favorite TX shows" shows came on at night. Daytime TV was very different before cable. It was pretty much Soaps, news and early talk shows. Geared exclusively towards housewives. No kid wanted to watch that. It was horrible.

You played outside all day everyday (or after school) and of course you were home in the evening and you watched what your parents watched. Chances are they watched the popular shows of the day as well. Only a handful of channels and shows to choose from.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 09-03-2013 at 07:29..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:36   #9
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

They aren't lying about it. We really did play outside pretty much all day, winter, spring, summer, and fall. Of course we had school and I did lots of inside stuff too. But TV? Yeah, sometimes. I had certain shows I tried to watch and would get up at 6:00 AM to watch Saturday morning cartoons. After about 9:30 the good ones were over so we'd head outside to play. I read the entire World Book Encyclopedia when I was in 5th grade. I built model airplanes (these actually flew and had internal combustion motors) and also built a rubber-band powered helicopter of my own design. I'd enter contests of all sorts, like one that was a contest to see who could build a rubber-band powered car that went the furthest (got 3rd place in my school district.)

I played Little League, started on my grade school and middle school basketball team, shot hoops out on our driveway, played pickup baseball games all the time, made rockets and rocket-powered cars, jump my bicycle off sweet ramps, made my own stilts, made many custom kites and would sell those (along with my rubber-band powered helicopters, those where very popular.) I even made cardboard Star Trek communicators, phasors, and Tricorders and sold them at school for 50 cents each. I did that when I was about 7.

First video game I played was Pong. My mother's father gave it to us for Christmas. Got bored with it within a day or two. Later I did become somewhat addicted to Pac Man, Joust, and Gallaga but even so you had to leave the house to play them.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:37   #10
LEO/Dad
Navy Veteran

My Dad taught me a great deal and he appreciated everything he had, and that he had to work for. He lost his parents early when he was very young, and grew up with relatives and family friends. He lived through the great depression, and talked of the misery, and how people lost everything they owned. Suicides. When eating meals, he would make us clean our plates, saying that people were starving all over the world, and would cherish what was on our plates. Families socialized more, sitting around visiting, playing cards. These were weekly events, mainly on Sunday afternoons. I was taught to respect my elders, and not to stare at people that were unfortunate. My mother was a very loving mother that I miss a great deal. She taught me many great virtues also.
LEO/Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:40   #11
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
Yes being a younger guy older people always tell me how my stuff is bad and what they used to do, and it seems like there looking back through a filter.

I always love the "we weren't playing video games we were outside every day all the time." Then i bring up what they did during downpours, blizzards, ice storms and other greatest hits of the northeast's bipolar weather, they say they still went out. Then I ask them their favorite T.V. shows were and they name a million, so obviously they were inside watching tv not playing outside.

Or the we walked everywhere uphill both ways nosnsense. Busses existed if you lived in a city.

It's all true, if my dad and uncles are to be believed. Had to walk over a mile to school 4 times a day. Morning, lunch, end of day.
PostsOnPercocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:42   #12
MaxxAction

Yup...

during the summer, from the time I awoke, I was either outside running up and down the river, fishing, hunting, shooting, riding my bicycle, or later my dirt bike, until it got dark.

During the school year, we had to be home by 8:00 p.m. but if the homework and chores were finished, I had the freedom to take off until school night curfew.

What was even better, parents back then didn't have to worry nearly as much about nuts driving around trolling for children. Different times for sure.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:43   #13
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

There were a lot of old cartoons on TV in the afternoon. Mighty Mouse. Heckle & Jeckle. I may have seen a few/several of those. LOL

I read a BUTT-TON. I credit my ability to learn and retain today to reading almost constantly from age 8 to 18 (and beyond). I have many many friends that were out to have a good time and skate by early in life. They are continually amazed at the wealth of knowledge that I consider to be "common" knowledge.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:44   #14
ysr_racer

Back in the old days (when I turned 40) we didn't whine on the internet about the presents our parents gave us
ysr_racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:48   #15
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
There were a lot of old cartoons on TV in the afternoon. Mighty Mouse. Heckle & Jeckle. I may have seen a few/several of those. LOL

I read a BUTT-TON. I credit my ability to learn and retain today to reading almost constantly from age 8 to 18 (and beyond). I have many many friends that were out to have a good time and skate by early in life. They are continually amazed at the wealth of knowledge that I consider to be "common" knowledge.
I remember in 6th grade I was in science class and the teacher mentioned the (then-new) electron microscope. I raised my hand and said I could draw the design of one on the chalk board if anyone was interested. My friend sitting next to me said "How do you know that?" Shrugged and said I read a lot.

The downside was that I became really nearsighted back then. Had to wear glasses all during middle school and high school, finally got contacts when I was 19 and LASIK about 12 years ago which was and is awesome.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:53   #16
RedTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
I read the entire World Book Encyclopedia when I was in 5th grade.
Wow - I forgot about this. My brother and I always read these. They were full of cool stuff and still are.

We also spent a lot of time playing with plastic army men and had dirtclod wars.
RedTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:00   #17
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

When my older brother was young, my parent's bought an entire set of Collier's Encyclo's for him. It made interesting reading and good research for book reports in the 5th and 6th grade without having to go to the lie-berry.

When I was 14, I used the drawing in the Encyclo, plus size details in the article, of a Colt 1911 to make a model of one out of a 1x8. I mucked up the grip - the lines weren't parallel enough. But otherwise, you'd have swore it was a 1911 from 5' away. All I had was a coping saw, sandpaper and one useless file. No power tools. No gouges. :(
Old 09-03-2013, 08:09   #18
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:

Rabbi is right. The opportunities for digital entertainment were limited back "in my day". :p

I swam all summer, and rode my bike year round, unless it was snowing. There were always touch football, stickball, or street hockey games to play. I hardly ever see a large group of kids playing these games, it is always groups of 3 or 4. We would have hockey games with two lines per team.

I think living in Philadelphia played a big part in it. We could walk or bike a short distance and run into kids we knew. Living in the suburbs is different. Kids lives seem more structured here. Everything is scheduled for them.

Sent from my MB865 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 09-03-2013, 08:12   #19
ditto1958

Yes, OP, we actually did play outside from morning until dark in the summer. If it rained, we watched from a garage or a front porch. During the school year, we played on the playground before school, during morning, lunch and afternoon recess, and also after dinner during spring and fall.

We played outside during winter, sledding, ice skating, building snow forts.

Yes, I could rattle off a bunch of TV shows I enjoyed on our three channels, but we actually only watched during limited hours, and very little in the summer.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:16   #20
dewidmt
Gunaholic

I walked a mile to school and back in grade school and this was the early 70's. Not every little hick town had buses.
Spent most of my time outside, had an abandoned gravel pit, woods and cornfields behind my house. Ran around and shot stuff with a BB gun, hunted salamanders and snakes. Only watched Sat. morning cartoons, no TV the rest of the week. Winters were sledding, snow forts and ice skating on the pond.
I miss those days......
Old 09-03-2013, 08:17   #21
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

When I was a kid we had other fun things, like polio, and various fevers that swept through the communities killing a percentage of the population.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:19   #22
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:

Back in my day, we didn't have the internet, so we talked to real people, face to face. That's where we learned that (a) if a guy says "every day all the time" we didn't prove him wrong by arguing that he went inside to watch TV at night, like it's literal. Then, if we did take a guy's hyperbole literally, we didn't turn around in the same breath and claim he named "a million" favorite shows. And (b) we also had math in school, so we realized that if a guy is 50 and names 20 shows he liked back in the day, that's not much TV. I spent years of my childhood with no television, but I can still name plenty of favorite shows. And yes, we went out in all weather. It's no BS that kids and young adults today are very noticeably more delicate.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:27   #23
M2 Carbine

I'm 75 so I've seen a lot of changes over the years that young people can't even imagine.

In a nut shell........
Such as medicine, transportation, the computer age, etc, is amazing and makes life so much better and easier than when I was a kid.

What has changed is the people.
People really suck now days.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37   #24
MaxxAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
I'm 75 so I've seen a lot of changes over the years that young people can't even imagine.

In a nut shell........
Such as medicine, transportation, the computer age, etc, is amazing and makes life so much better and easier than when I was a kid.

I agree...

to an extent. People are so distracted these days, and especially the youth. The distractions of technology take away from the reality of having to nurture relationships to make them work, of intimacy, and of such good human traits as compassion and empathy. I think with something constantly in our faces, it is easy to lose focus on what matters.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:41   #25
oldman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post

In a nut shell........

Yeah, I'm 73 and I know exactly what you mean.