GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:30   #1
Nalapombu

Any Residents of BOSTON that were there During the MANHUNT??

Hey all,

I've got a question that's been on my mind for a bit and thought I'd ask it. It may have been posted and talked about before and I missed it, if it has, sorry for bringing it up again.

Anyway, is there anyone here that lives or lived IN Boston at the time of the bombing and subsequent manhunt?

We all saw how the city was placed in a state of de facto Martial Law. The Police Chief and Mayor (I suppose) were on TV and media telling EVERYONE to STAY HOME, not to come out during the "hunt." Do I have that correct? People were told by the authorities to stay in their houses and not to do anything at all outside, even in their yards or garages?

We all saw the heavily armed police forces, who knows what agencies they were from and if they were FEDS, State or Local, going house to house conducting searches. It appeared the homeowner or tenants were given little choice in the matter of consenting to these searches. I've seen and read several articles where police went to a house, gained entry and were seen leading the occupants out in handcuffs for whatever reason.

We all know the seriousness of the situation that was going on. A first rate piece of trash that helped his scumbag brother maim and kill a lot of totally innocent and helpless victims, some of which were just little kids standing to watch an historic foot race in a great American city on a beautiful morning was on the loose and could likely kill and injure lots more people if given the chance. He HAD to be found, I agree with that entirely.

What I am wondering about is whether anyone actually did go out during that time when you were supposed to be staying put inside. Did anyone have a craving for a TACO or a BIG MAC and say "I'm gonna go out and drive till I find a TACO BELL and get me a Burrito?" If you did, were you stopped by the police or detained? Were you allowed to go out and get a pack of cigs if you wanted one or a 6-pack of beer? Just how tight did the authorities have that city SHUT DOWN during that hunt? If you did venture out would you get stopped and charged? I can easily see a situation where you did go out for whatever reason and were stopped and arrested and charged with obstructing a LEO.

Do you know if anyone was arrested and charged for simply going out to get a Coke against the orders of the Authorities? What about those searches of the houses? Could you refuse to allow them in to search and tell them "there is no one here but me and my cat and I don't consent to you searching my home" without fear of arrest and prosecution?

Does anyone know if the authorities arrested lots of Bostonians for doing the things I asked about that ordinarily wouldn't be any big deal at all?

What about during the searches of the homes and police finding a bag of weed that someone has for their own use on the coffee table or on their nightstand? Do you think they'd arrest you if they ran across that during their house to house searches during that time?

I'm just curious if people were arrested and punished for things like that during the manhunt and if there was any push back against the LOCKDOWN that was imposed by the LEO's and Officials in the days after.

Are they any Bostonians in the house that can tell us what it was really like during those tense couple of days and how it was in the city and suburbs while the hunt was going on?

Thanks for the time.

Nalajr

Last edited by Nalapombu; 08-27-2013 at 04:35..
Nalapombu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:48   #2
Gunny Lingus
Think it moved

I'm not in Boston, but I suspect if you had any contraband, it would be hidden before they forced their way into your home. Since they were looking for a person, I doubt they would look in drawers, cabinets, and other small areas for drugs. They didn't have time.

But if you were in the middle of burning a big ol' doob, or had a Kilo of white powder on a table, or a meth lab, it may be a different story.

FWIW, they weren't going door to door searching for a terrorist. They went door to door searching for a terrorist who killed a cop. Get used to seeing those heavy handed tactics. Especially in the NE.

A Nation of Cowards

Hey Yeager: Youtube is NOT your friend, and doesn't help your business.

Last edited by Gunny Lingus; 08-27-2013 at 04:49..
Gunny Lingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:57   #3
walt cowan

my guess is more than a few refused to comply. now as to what happen at that point we'll never know. the media and its handlers main job was to present to the public, that there was no resistance.

Last edited by walt cowan; 08-27-2013 at 14:29..
walt cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:25   #4
Bren
NRA Life Member

Let me guess, another guy who wants to stretch the advice given by government and the terms used by the press into some conspiracy to violate civil rights, without actually having any evidence that a single right was violated. Haven't we been here before?

OP, there wasn't a LOCKDOWN!!!!!! Get a grip.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:10   #5
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Lingus View Post
I'm not in Boston, but I suspect if you had any contraband, it would be hidden before they forced their way into your home. Since they were looking for a person, I doubt they would look in drawers, cabinets, and other small areas for drugs. They didn't have time.

But if you were in the middle of burning a big ol' doob, or had a Kilo of white powder on a table, or a meth lab, it may be a different story.

FWIW, they weren't going door to door searching for a terrorist. They went door to door searching for a terrorist who killed a cop. Get used to seeing those heavy handed tactics. Especially in the NE.
I bet the minute the police started looking for the suspects anyone with any kind of weight moved their drugs out Boston. Anyone who kept them put them near the toilet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44   #6
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

I wasn't there Monday for the Marathon, as traffic around the city is impossible, but on Tuesday and Wednesday it was business as usual for me. Some customers were closed, but most were open and operating as normal.

The guy who owns "the boat" is a friend of my fathers (same boat club in Watertown). Those neighborhoods were "shut down" by police presence but the city was open and operating
tehan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50   #7
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

The whole thing was a trial run to see what martial law would look like and how to go about handling it in a real world scenario, it was live practice for them to see how the public would react, what the public would tolerate.

What about the guys at the end of the Boston marathon wearing khaki pants and black jackets, wearing hats with the Punisher skull on it, also known as "Craft" contractors? One had a backpack, was in the exact area of the explosion, and a photograph of his exploded backpack was later taken. It wasn't Tsarnaev at all, it was govt. contractors plain and simple. Even police there at the end of the marathon were warning people not to panic even before the hoax event occurred. And yet again, the American public was lied to.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:17   #8
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
The whole thing was a trial run to see what martial law would look like and how to go about handling it in a real world scenario, it was live practice for them to see how the public would react, what the public would tolerate.

What about the guys at the end of the Boston marathon wearing khaki pants and black jackets, wearing hats with the Punisher skull on it, also known as "Craft" contractors? One had a backpack, was in the exact area of the explosion, and a photograph of his exploded backpack was later taken. It wasn't Tsarnaev at all, it was govt. contractors plain and simple. Even police there at the end of the marathon were warning people not to panic even before the hoax event occurred. And yet again, the American public was lied to.
So, I guess you still have your drugs?

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:21   #9
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Let me guess, another guy who wants to stretch the advice given by government and the terms used by the press into some conspiracy to violate civil rights, without actually having any evidence that a single right was violated. Haven't we been here before?

OP, there wasn't a LOCKDOWN!!!!!! Get a grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehan2 View Post
I wasn't there Monday for the Marathon, as traffic around the city is impossible, but on Tuesday and Wednesday it was business as usual for me. Some customers were closed, but most were open and operating as normal.

The guy who owns "the boat" is a friend of my fathers (same boat club in Watertown). Those neighborhoods were "shut down" by police presence but the city was open and operating
Old 08-27-2013, 09:22   #10
Steve0853

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post

Huh???
Steve0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:28   #11
Ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychman View Post
So, I guess you still have your drugs?
No, my guess is he's taken them all. And then posted.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30   #12
AN-HERO
Invader

Quote:

... someone needs to lay off the InfoWars for a while. Lulz HAHAHAHA XD
Old 08-27-2013, 09:51   #13
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Another one comes out of the woodwork.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:05   #14
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post

just to be clear, by "shut down" There were so many cops in the area you couldn't get in or out. You weren't forced to stay indoors, but leaving the neighborhood was NEARLY impossible. for example, you can't leave your street via automobile because there are 30 police cars on it, and none of them are moving any time soon.

There was no one pushing you back into your home or arresting you as you were walking.
tehan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:49   #15
gommer

It was only 'martial law' and heavy-handed if it wasn't YOUR family who's arms and legs were found 30 yards apart.

Those guys had every reason to expect to be hit with a bomb at any point in time. They were out there, where were you?
gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56   #16
Sharkey

Well let's go down another trail - Besides going out on the streets for a burger, what about the police going house to house searching for the terrorist? I have no issue with that but I do have an issue with LE searching your home without a warrant and without permission.

Also let us remember who found the terrorist. It wasn't LE in their warrantless home searches but it was a homeowner doing the terrible thing of going outside his house for a smoke. Thank God for his addiction.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:06   #17
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

From a LEO perspective:

OP, where were you when the manhunt occurred? My guess is no where close to the greater Boston area. I also guess that you don't know anything about law enforcement. Why don't you go apply, and willingly take a sworn oath to lay down your life to protect a community or even a state full of strangers? I fully support what the LEOs did in Boston and I am damn proud of them for catching the SOB that killed and wounded innocent American citizens.

Police work is not always unicorns and rainbows and it always involves pissing off one group of people or another. You can't make everybody happy all of the time.

OP, I ask you if you would have thought the police actions were appropriate if one of the people blown to hell by a bomb was a family member of your's?

Lastly, there has been no hard evidence that I have seen to lead me to believe that any mis conduct occurred on the part of law enforcement.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:22   #18
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Lingus View Post
They went door to door searching for a terrorist who killed a cop.
He hasn't been charged with that murder, that I'm aware of.
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:24   #19
yellolab
Silver Membership

Interesting as was not the ****** caught BECAUSE the boat owner left his house to have a cig?
yellolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27   #20
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer View Post

Those guys had every reason to expect to be hit with a bomb at any point in time.
Is that why they fired into the boat over 100 times when the suspect was unarmed? To set off his bombs?
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:33   #21
Adjuster

I am only aware of one instance where residents were brought out of their home in cuffs and the home forcibly searched and it was because it was student residence and associates of the younger brother. All other homes were voluntarily given permission to search. And yes we have previously discussed this on the forum and there is even a video of it taken by a neighbor. In the video the neighbor is under the assumption that the innocent people of the home were forcibly removed and the home searched. It is later that we find out after the video goes viral that the people were actually suspects of harboring the younger brother.

/
Adjuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:34   #22
Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeglasses View Post
Is that why they fired into the boat over 100 times when the suspect was unarmed? To set off his bombs?

Yes exactly. They had already previously had bombs thrown at them that failed to detonate.

/
Adjuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:36   #23
CAcop

I just realize a lot of drugs probably were carried out of the city or placed near toilets because even terrorists are smart enough not to go into ghettos. I would be surprised if the open air drug markets of Boston were a little more free when they were off chasing terrorists.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 08-27-2013, 11:37   #24
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeglasses View Post
How many officers were there and what movements did the suspect make during the time of the shots?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:41   #25
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloBravo View Post
From a LEO perspective:

OP, where were you when the manhunt occurred? My guess is no where close to the greater Boston area. I also guess that you don't know anything about law enforcement. Why don't you go apply, and willingly take a sworn oath to lay down your life to protect a community or even a state full of strangers? I fully support what the LEOs did in Boston and I am damn proud of them for catching the SOB that killed and wounded innocent American citizens.
Once again, a civilian was the one who found him but yeah, LE lit him up. I'm not the OP obviously and we will see what he says but I do have about 20yrs in LE. I didn't take an oath to lay down my life. I took an oath to uphold the Constitution. Big difference obviously.

Quote:
Police work is not always unicorns and rainbows and it always involves pissing off one group of people or another. You can't make everybody happy all of the time.

Sure. Don't be a cop if you want folks to like you.

Quote:
OP, I ask you if you would have thought the police actions were appropriate if one of the people blown to hell by a bomb was a family member of your's?

Well I dunno how he will answer but I will say that when we use emotion to determine the Constitutionality of our actions, we are already screwed.

Quote:
Lastly, there has been no hard evidence that I have seen to lead me to believe that any mis conduct occurred on the part of law enforcement.
I dunno, I wasn't there. Were you? I live in the Lone Star State but I also know the Feds lied about confiscating guns in NOLA during Katrina. They also screwed the pooch at Ruby Ridge and Waco so I find it real easy to believe LE would search a home without permission in violation of the Constitution. I can also see where they would cover it up or downplay their actions in a sue happy culture.

I try to keep my tinfoil off my head but I see how the Feds could view this as an indicator of just what the populace will allow when, not if, that time comes. It's a slippery slope and we are sliding down it.

Tags
déjà vu, subject to investigation