Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-26-2013, 14:34   #1
ronin.45

Scoring delay?

I'm wondering why scores take so long to finalize. If prelim scores can be up in 24 hours, why is it a month before they are finalized? I realize that there is a ton of info to compile, but the majority of the work is already done after the prelims are figured.
Old 08-26-2013, 14:49   #2
youngann
Pistol People

The delay gives everyone a chance to contest any mistakes that were made when inputting their scores.
youngann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 14:53   #3
ronin.45

I could see that accounting for a few days at most.
Old 08-26-2013, 15:09   #4
DannyR

GSSF has a 30 day period to resolve any scoring issues. Some issues are not easily resolved. Not every competitor is on the computer every day. You must learn to be patient. In 1999 it took 90+ days.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 15:27   #5
ronin.45

I'll admit that patience is not my strong suit. It's one of the reasons I rarely shoot USPSA. The ridiculous scoring takes too long to post.
Old 08-26-2013, 16:02   #6
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
I'll admit that patience is not my strong suit. It's one of the reasons I rarely shoot USPSA. The ridiculous scoring takes too long to post.
Yea, we all want Instant Gradification(IG). 30 days is IG to us and we bear with GSSF because we know they have a life too without us.
Old 08-26-2013, 16:12   #7
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
I've shot USPSA at 5 different ranges in the greater Charlotte area. Some have them up the same day, at the worst usually the next day. Major matches are a day or two.

That's reasonable to me.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 16:21   #8
ronin.45

Most small matches around here take the better part of a week. Bigger matches usually two or three days. I've seen some matches going to computerized scoring with tablets. That is a huge improvement that can get scores out in an hour or so after the match wraps up.

I much prefer IDPA scoring. I know before I leave if I won or not.

Last edited by ronin.45; 08-26-2013 at 16:25..
ronin.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 17:32   #9
wilhelm51

Quote:
...I know before I leave if I won or not.
I generally know the not before I leave a gssf match. Truth be told, I probably knew before I got there.

wilhelm

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
wilhelm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 18:28   #10
Justin1911

I think the answer to why it takes 30 days is "it has always taken 30 days." May be back then folks didnt have as easy a time to access the internet. I just expect it to take that long, no big deal. It would be nice to have a policy change of say 7 days, may be one day it will.
Justin1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 18:36   #11
DannyR

GSSF can probably do that if they cut the number of matches and limit matches to just one day, but I for one would not appreciate it.

If a two-day match has 600 entries, that's 1,800 score sheets. With that many, there are bound to be a few errors. When pistols are at stake, no one wants any errors that might cost them a pistol.

Now there is staff time. Two per match, leaving on Thursday or Friday and not returning until Monday night or Tuesday. Many weekends have double matches. Every now and then they even get a day off.

Finally, there are now 100,000+ members to take care of.

Bottom line, GSSF does an amazing job, thanks to a very dedicated staff.
Bull Dawg #1

DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 23:24   #12
SARDG

Quote:
Try going up to the clubhouse and helping GSSF sort "1800" (or more) scoresheets by hand, by entry number for computer entry (and later reference). You'll get an idea of the enormity of the job to get prelims up so quickly. Perhaps GSSF isn't your sport if you can't wait 30 days for corrections. If those required corrections were your scores, you may appreciate the delay a little more.

Quote:
Most small matches around here take the better part of a week. Bigger matches usually two or three days. I've seen some matches going to computerized scoring with tablets. That is a huge improvement that can get scores out in an hour or so after the match wraps up.

I much prefer IDPA scoring. I know before I leave if I won or not.
...and you know that how? Does everyone keep track of their own scores and exchange notes before leaving the range? We have ~40 shooters at our IDPA matches and 4 squads and it's like herding cats to get them squadded and shooting - then all but a few take off before tear-down.

If I wait 2 or 3 or 4 days for IDPA or Steel Challenge or Bowling Pin scores, I am very happy with that because someone else is taking their own time to do that for the shooting masses within their discipline.

I must be the perfect competitor; I'm an IDPA SO, Steel and Pins and GSSF RO, help set up, help tear down, and never complain about scoring delays. Try it at IDPA and GSSF sometime. GSSF always welcomes the help and it will get you closer to understanding the system and whats involved.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:03   #13
misunderestimated

Quote:
This venue teaches us to slow down and not rush, Must be slow to be accurate to avoid penalties,yet fast enough to keep the times low,

This entire venue is all about waiting

We have to wait for the event,then wait for our credit card to be charged the Wednesday before the event,waiting to pick up our stickers,waiting to get on the sign in sheet,waiting to give in your stickers,waiting to get on the tree,waiting on deck,waiting for the pre lims,waiting on the finals,waiting on the certificate or the prize, waiting for the next event again,

I would say to anybody who doesnt have the ability to wait for things and need to be gratified instantly ,this may not be a good venue for you.

the shooting part of this venue as we know if all goes well should only be a couple of seconds.

This venue is all about waiting

All that being said . I absolutely love and enjoy every bit of the venue except all the grumblings of the people who don't realize waiting is a large part of this venue.

I also think the journey to a destination most of the time is far better then the destination it self, that being said I actually enjoy the days and weeks after an event daydreaming and thinking about what gun I am going to purchase when I win a random gun certificate, it helps me pass the time while waiting for the next event in my area,like buying a lotto ticket its so much fun thinking about what you may win, once the result post you cant day dream about it anymore

Last edited by misunderestimated; 08-27-2013 at 05:10..
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:39   #14
c5367
Esq.

Send a message via AIM to c5367
Quote:
At most of the clubs in my area, results are up on the same day. The club I do scores at is moving to electronic scoring, and preliminary testing indicates that we'll be able to have scores within 5-10 minutes of last shot fired.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:03   #15
PM720

To all the guys that have these wonderful clubs that post results the same day or a day or 2 later, how many of these could do this with 500 to a 1000 entries? And allow a protest period? At the IDPA regional I shot sure we had the results that afternoon. We had to start at 7:30am and I think I left the range after 7pm after the awards were all presented. I think we got a 15 minute protest period. Yeah, I get a little impatient too sometimes but overall I am happy with the process and I can wait.

And I agree with the IG statement, this is what our society has turned into and in most cases I am not sure it is a good thing.

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40   #16
MajorD

I think gssf does a great job and 30 days to contest an error is a very reasonable amount of time. What if for example a competitor has to mail in his carbon copy that come in with what is probably hundreds of other items to gssf daily? There is an enormous amount of work that goes into gssf and other than the profit gained by us buying guns it does not make the company any money to speak of. I wish other companies would develop similar types of events
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:43   #17
MajorD

I further appreciate the emphasis on accuracy as only hits count - many shooters obsession with speed often results in very sloppy shooting
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:42   #18
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I'm wondering why scores take so long to finalize. If prelim scores can be up in 24 hours, why is it a month before they are finalized? I realize that there is a ton of info to compile, but the majority of the work is already done after the prelims are figured.
I have seen cases where a shooter was listed in the wrong division and it changed who won guns, after he saw the prelims and notified GSSF. It's worth the time to get it right.

Last edited by Bren; 08-27-2013 at 09:44..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 15:56   #19
RonS

Everyone makes mistakes, no reason to rush to set them in stone. After a couple of weeks of no one raising issues then it seems reasonable to lock it in and if someone finds something later, well, they had ample opportunity to pull their crumpled score sheets out of the range bag and check them.
Old 08-27-2013, 17:54   #20
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Quote:
You better say a little prayer that you don't win a gun!

First, you wait for the certificate, then you wait, wait, wait for the gun.

Your head will implode and you will never get to enjoy your free Glock

It is nothing like waiting for Christmas when you were 6.
Its more like waiting for your tax refund when you are 76.