GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:41   #1
Gpruitt54

Primer labeled as for Standard and Magnum (WTF!)

I have been hand loading for about a year and I love it. I am still very much one to follow the load data sheets. Recently I bought some Large pistol primers that were labeled as for both Standard and Magnum loads. This is the first time I have seen such labeling. The Cabela's sales person confirmed that these are in fact OK for standard loads.

My loads are square in the middle of the load high and low limits. However, none of my load data give details on using magnum primers for my standard loads. I have seen many conversations on this forum warning against using Magnum primers with standard loads. I am loading .45 ACP.

Are the primers I bought legit for standard loads? How can the primers be both standard and Magnum primers at the same time? They are either/or right? I am confused and feeling a little silly for allowing myself to be talked into buying these things. The primers are Winchester Large Pistol Primers.
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:51   #2
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

They're fine for standard loads in 45 ACP.

I use WLP primers for 45 ACP and my loads are also in the mid range of the load data.

Those are outstanding primers for mid range 45 ACP loads.
Use them with confidence.

I also use them in 44 magnum and 45 Colt loads with no problem.

Last edited by JBnTX; 08-21-2013 at 09:59..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:47   #3
Oldgoat03

I too use Winchester Large Pistol Primers (Std and magnum) for .45 ACP. No issues with any load up to published max.
Oldgoat03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:03   #4
TX Archer

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1496334
TX Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:27   #5
ess45

Wichester large pistol primers are labeled as such ever since I can remember.
ess45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:34   #6
snowG29

I use these in 44, 45 ap and in 10 mm. Good to that versatility. Loading data will designate when a mag primer is required.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
snowG29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:54   #7
fredj338

Winchester switched over years ago to this middle of the road primer. generally, switching to a mag primer is only going to be an issue if your load was worked up using a std & the load was already max. Loading at the top end, everything affects the last 3-4Kpsi & the load should be reworked if changing anything.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 15:12   #8
Gpruitt54

Thanks, appreciate the detailed information always available here to help a guy out.
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 15:15   #9
AngelDeville
NoHablaMexican

I have used Winchester primers for years, makes the supply caninet a lot less crowded...
AngelDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 18:30   #10
shotgunred
reloading nut

I bet I have loaded well over 50K of 40 and 9 mm loads with magnum primers. Generally you can buy them cheaper than standard primers and work just fine. Don't use them in bunny farts and rework any load close to max.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 18:37   #11
motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDeville View Post
I have used Winchester primers for years, makes the supply caninet a lot less crowded...
I almost hate to buy Federal primers for the big ass box they come in. Nowhere to put the damn things!
Old 08-22-2013, 00:00   #12
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclist View Post
I almost hate to buy Federal primers for the big ass box they come in. Nowhere to put the damn things!
Nothing fuels contempt in the reloader heart as much as big ass boxes of primers stacked sideways. It really makes me nuts.

As far as the Winchester primers, they run a little hotter than most standard primers, probably a little short of most magnum primers. Doesn't change the method.... you change a component, you back off some and work your way up looking for pressure signs.

Reloading
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:28   #13
Wil Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess45 View Post
Wichester large pistol primers are labeled as such ever since I can remember.
YEP ! Ever since they found that their 7M-111F large pistol magnum primers worked perfectly well with all cartridges requirering the large pistol primer. NO use having two primers to do the same thing, although there are still some who do so you guys who will NOT read gun history can think you got that something special. AND pay more to boot
Wil Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:49   #14
dla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
I have been hand loading for about a year and I love it. I am still very much one to follow the load data sheets. Recently I bought some Large pistol primers that were labeled as for both Standard and Magnum loads. This is the first time I have seen such labeling. The Cabela's sales person confirmed that these are in fact OK for standard loads.

My loads are square in the middle of the load high and low limits. However, none of my load data give details on using magnum primers for my standard loads. I have seen many conversations on this forum warning against using Magnum primers with standard loads. I am loading .45 ACP.

Are the primers I bought legit for standard loads? How can the primers be both standard and Magnum primers at the same time? They are either/or right? I am confused and feeling a little silly for allowing myself to be talked into buying these things. The primers are Winchester Large Pistol Primers.
Great primers. You'll a little higher ES with them in 45acp, but no matter. My Chrony says they are equivalent to CCI350 when it comes to lighting ball powders in 44mag. They do have a softer cup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

dla is offline   Reply With Quote