Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-18-2013, 00:11   #1
Glock 1

Surface rust

A few months ago I became the owner once again of my very first shotgun. A Stevens model 311 H. The gun is in good shape but the previous owner allowed the barrel to develop a few surface rust spots. I am able to rub most of it off with a microfiber towel and gun cleaner but it is bare metal underneath. I do not want to re-blue the whole gun or coat it in anything like cerakote. I want to stop the rust and retain the original finish since its very small spots. The biggest one is about 4mm in diameter and there is only one of those. There are 3 others that about a millimeter in diameter.

My first though is a copper chore boy to remove the rust and a "blueing pen" to spot blue it. My worry is that the result in a poor fix. Again, I really just want to stop the rust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 14:45   #2
unclebob

I would try 0000 or finer steel wool. Then I would coat the gun with RIG. The best stuff I have found that protects the gun from rust. Also keep your bare hands off the metal unless you are going to shoot it. I would also soak the rust spots with pentrating oil. and also when using the steel wool.
GSSF Life Member

Last edited by unclebob; 08-19-2013 at 14:48..
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 14:54   #3
max it

cleaning rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
I would try 0000 or finer steel wool. Then I would coat the gun with RIG. The best stuff I have found that protects the gun from rust. Also keep your bare hands off the metal unless you are going to shoot it. I would also soak the rust spots with pentrating oil. and also when using the steel wool.
Ditto, however, I would use gun oil, on the 0000 steel wool. my smithy told me so.

Max It
So. Cal.

Last edited by max it; 08-19-2013 at 14:55..
max it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:32   #4
Glock 1

I found the RIG and I have 0000 steel wool. What about the blueing of the bare metal? I have an oil soaked rag wrapped around the barrel on the rust spots right now until I figure out my plan. I wipe it down with an oil rag every time I touch it too. I have since I got it back. It's an older gun (about 25 years old) and the blueing is not durable as my newer guns.

This is what I am looking at for reblueing:

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Finish...6-81a867399319

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:21   #5
PhotoFeller

If you aren't troubled by small spots without blueing, apply Renaissance wax to all of the metal surfaces (and wood) to seal out moisture and prevent rust. Unless your gun is stored in an extremely damp area, rust won't be a problem if a good wax coating is present.

I haven't had much luck with blueing pens, but you may get better results. Dabbing the spots with blueing should look better than shiny metal as long as the application is done after careful cleaning. Applying any cold blueing solution carefully with a cue tip ought to provide the same result.

Good luck.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:28   #6
unclebob

Will probably work just as well as any cold bluing out there.
Instead of wiping the blue guns down with oil use the RIG instead. I have a Zip Lock bag with a rag that has rig on it. Every time I touch the gun I wipe it down with the RIG. In 37 years of living in Florida I have not had gun rust using the RIG. Oil runs and it also can destroy wood stocks. One of the reasons you store long guns with the muzzle pointing down.
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-20-2013, 15:16   #7
Lt. Matt

When you use the RIG which one do you use exactly?
Lt. Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 16:38   #8
Glock 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Will probably work just as well as any cold bluing out there.
Instead of wiping the blue guns down with oil use the RIG instead. I have a Zip Lock bag with a rag that has rig on it. Every time I touch the gun I wipe it down with the RIG. In 37 years of living in Florida I have not had gun rust using the RIG. Oil runs and it also can destroy wood stocks. One of the reasons you store long guns with the muzzle pointing down.
I did not know that about the blued guns. I will change the way I store this one for sure. I had not though about the wood being ruined.

Old 08-20-2013, 16:40   #9
Glock 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
If you aren't troubled by small spots without blueing, apply Renaissance wax to all of the metal surfaces (and wood) to seal out moisture and prevent rust. Unless your gun is stored in an extremely damp area, rust won't be a problem if a good wax coating is present.

I haven't had much luck with blueing pens, but you may get better results. Dabbing the spots with blueing should look better than shiny metal as long as the application is done after careful cleaning. Applying any cold blueing solution carefully with a cue tip ought to provide the same result.

Good luck.
That tells me what I need to know. I will remove the rust first and see if i want to mess with trying to re-blue. I might take it apart and have it coated.

Old 08-20-2013, 21:15   #10
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Matt View Post
When you use the RIG which one do you use exactly?
Grease. It does not take much. Just a light coat. When you want to use the firearm just wipe off.
GSSF Life Member

Last edited by unclebob; 08-20-2013 at 21:16..
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:59   #11
Lt. Matt

Thanks while I'm at it I would like everyone's opinion on the custom gun stock I did on my Remington 700. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1377097163.779756.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	235257Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1377097178.353909.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	235258Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1377097191.271850.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	235259
Lt. Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:07   #12
Glock 1

Interesting. Not my cup of tea but still interesting. I like the synthetics but that is just me. How did you do that? With a torch of some sort?