SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:25   #21
UtahIrishman
BLR

Interesting piece.

I've been trying to make knives off and on for a couple years now. One of these days I'll get brave enough to post a few.

Wayne Goddard's book is an excellent place to start. Though it will probably cost you a bit more than $50.00 now than when it was written it is probably still the cheapest way to get into it.

countrygun is right, it is very addicting and fun.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 19:36   #22
codecowboy
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahIrishman View Post
Interesting piece.

I've been trying to make knives off and on for a couple years now. One of these days I'll get brave enough to post a few.

Wayne Goddard's book is an excellent place to start. Though it will probably cost you a bit more than $50.00 now than when it was written it is probably still the cheapest way to get into it.

countrygun is right, it is very addicting and fun.
Very addicting. I started knife #2 tonight.
codecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 21:27   #23
mj9mm

oh man,,, you guys are rekindling an old flame. I had to give up my short knife making career 10 years ago,, after several sessions of physical therapy on my shoulders, elbows and hands. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3281.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	235239

the long knife was a file with a bone handle. the short knife was a slice off a forktruck fork
Old 08-19-2013, 22:06   #24
countrygun

The only one I ever made that I have a picture of is this one (I was making before digital cameras ) It was the first knife I made with my first "store bought" forge. The wife wanted the first one from the forge and designed it herself as a "left-handed paring knife". I did it in one day after I annealed the 1" ball bearing it came from.

The Cutting Edge

The Cutting Edge

Not the prettiest I ever did but we had a bet about whether I could forge harden, temper and finish a knife in one day and, whether it would be "presentable" if I did.

I won! ( I think )
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:11   #25
GunHo198

Railroad spike knife

Thanks for posting and all the info you guys put on here. A long time ago I bought a railroad spiked knife a blacksmith made at the State Fair. He has since past away, but my son got a spike for free from another guy who is black smithing now as he told the guy he wanted to try and make his own.

We tried heating it up with just the torch but the heat just wasn't hot enough. We will try and build the soup can kiln next week and give it a try.

Last edited by GunHo198; 08-20-2013 at 01:12..
GunHo198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:16   #26
r3dot

That's awesome! Good work.
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 21:39   #27
willy1094

Send a message via AIM to willy1094
I am going to have to try this!! Great post and great info. I've never done ANYTHING like this before so I may pop back in with a question or two.
willy1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 21:52   #28
rednoved
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecowboy View Post
Railroad spikes are bountiful and fun to use as well.
Where do you guys get your spikes? I've borrowed a few from my local track, but there has to be a better source..
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 22:08   #29
codecowboy
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednoved View Post
Where do you guys get your spikes? I've borrowed a few from my local track, but there has to be a better source..
eBay has a lot for sale. But I would hazard a guess they were picked up near the local track.

For some silly reason picking up one of these things is illegal. Even though they are plentiful and will never be picked up by the railroad.
Old 08-20-2013, 22:09   #30
codecowboy
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy1094 View Post
I am going to have to try this!! Great post and great info. I've never done ANYTHING like this before so I may pop back in with a question or two.
Sure thing. I bought the parts for my brake drum coal forge today. I'm taking this to the next level soon.
Old 08-20-2013, 22:22   #31
countrygun

Quote:
Sure thing. I bought the parts for my brake drum coal forge today. I'm taking this to the next level soon.
That's what my first forge was.
Old 08-21-2013, 20:36   #32
codecowboy
NRA Life Member

I was given a dual propane burner with a shelf in the middle. I removed the shelf and started the basic setup on a brake drum coal forge. My brother is going to help me reinforce it and finish the welding.

The Cutting Edge
Old 08-21-2013, 21:16   #33
countrygun

Cool deal. Much better than my first 3 forges.

here is #4 a charcoal that I had rigged of another fan (long story about getting it) and miraculously the original fan turned up at a garages sale in town. I haven't set it back up since I got my propane.

The Cutting Edge

Here is the propane and a little "Two brick forge " I use with a torch for small work.
The local grocery store was phasing out the metal carts for plastic ones and let me have one since I buy my propane there. worked out great.

The Cutting Edge

The Cutting Edge

When my Dad's health got bad I had to quit working to take care of him and I rented the sop to a friend to store "divorce surplus" in and they thought that meant they had a free hand to turn it into a mess.

When Dad died I sorta took a Sabbatical and it turned into a Mondical and a Tuesdical

Last edited by countrygun; 08-21-2013 at 21:18..
Old 08-22-2013, 22:22   #34
codecowboy
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Cool deal. Much better than my first 3 forges.

here is #4 a charcoal that I had rigged of another fan (long story about getting it) and miraculously the original fan turned up at a garages sale in town. I haven't set it back up since I got my propane.
Here is the propane and a little "Two brick forge " I use with a torch for small work.
The local grocery store was phasing out the metal carts for plastic ones and let me have one since I buy my propane there. worked out great.
When my Dad's health got bad I had to quit working to take care of him and I rented the sop to a friend to store "divorce surplus" in and they thought that meant they had a free hand to turn it into a mess.
When Dad died I sorta took a Sabbatical and it turned into a Mondical and a Tuesdical
Nice setup. Whatever works right? I want a propane forge like that, but I find myself unable to part with the $400-$600 it would take to buy one. I'm hoping this coal forge does the job for me. If not I might have to make my own propane forge.
Old 08-22-2013, 23:50   #35
countrygun

Quote:
Nice setup. Whatever works right? I want a propane forge like that, but I find myself unable to part with the $400-$600 it would take to buy one. I'm hoping this coal forge does the job for me. If not I might have to make my own propane forge.
The forge you are building will work fine and especially if you can install a "gate" on the airflow between what ever fan you use and the turueye (pardon my misspelling the French word).It is more importan to control air volume than speed.

For the "Turwee", which is the pronunciation, on one I built that was similar and I used an electrical ceiling box with some of the "slugs" popped out.

I am curious though about your design? Is the "T" so that you can bring the air in and the "tail below for ash fall ?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:33   #36
codecowboy
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I am curious though about your design? Is the "T" so that you can bring the air in and the "tail below for ash fall ?
Yes. Forced air from the side via a hair dryer or a leaf blower with a regulator. The bottom will have a screw on cap or a slider to block the air, but also serve as a ash fall. Following the path of least resistance should send the air up through the flange and the vent at the top.

The Cutting Edge
Old 08-23-2013, 12:58   #37
countrygun

If you can get a slider or gate on the air side, you'll be all set.

Did you get the burners for the propane unit??? Good start on a home made propane unit.
Old 08-23-2013, 13:08   #38
codecowboy
NRA Life Member

Quote:
If you can get a slider or gate on the air side, you'll be all set.

Did you get the burners for the propane unit??? Good start on a home made propane unit.
The table in this was a dual burner propane stove that somebody made. I just thought it would be a nice dual use setup by making the center my forge. Though I'm wondering if I could turn one side into a high flow propane forge somehow. HMMMM. The possibilities are endless.
Old 08-23-2013, 18:31   #39
countrygun

Quote:
The table in this was a dual burner propane stove that somebody made. I just thought it would be a nice dual use setup by making the center my forge. Though I'm wondering if I could turn one side into a high flow propane forge somehow. HMMMM. The possibilities are endless.
They really are. I have some salvage equipment I had put back to build a propane unit out of but I wanted to spend more time hitting hot steel than wrenching cold steel.

I got a restaurant deep fryer (propane) that the electronic controls went out on. I figured a little cutting here, a little bending there some insulation and a little fan ducting.......

I was going to have a home made forge or be positioned to dock with the space station.

Last edited by countrygun; 08-23-2013 at 18:31..
Old 08-23-2013, 22:35   #40
officer196

That is really cool. Very impressive for your first go at it.

My Photostream
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
officer196 is offline   Reply With Quote