SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:12   #21
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSTIL1 View Post
My brand new G29 has a very loose chamber. I just tried some underwood 180g JHP and every round had the glock smiley.
Interesting, I have shot every weight and flavor of Underwood 10mm ammo through my G29SF and have not had a single smiley.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:05   #22
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
Interesting, I have shot every weight and flavor of Underwood 10mm ammo through my G29SF and have not had a single smiley.
Glock 10MM's, are like a box of chocolates, when it comes to the barrel chamber support. You never know what you are going to get. Have had 5 of their offerings. Two of the factory barrels were terrible, with bulges, and the other three, have been perfect. Not even the slightest bulge, and, for the most part everything ran through them is the best the 10 has to offer in performance!
Old 08-04-2012, 13:46   #23
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
My same experience.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 14:16   #24
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Gotta run. Me and the 29SF are accompanying the wife to lunch and WalMart!
Old 08-05-2012, 14:41   #25
blastfact

We all know support has improved concerning Glock Chambers. But there over all sloppy nature is suspect IMHO.

I also never said a G29 would be carried concealed. Honestly IMHO Glock bricks wont be carried concealed. Would I carry a G29 open? You bet I would! But I will stay with 9mm in deep conceal.

Members: I like the 10mm. I think it is the best combat round ever developed for a auto pistol. I was a early adopter. I was one of the many that found out the hard way the Colt DE's where wicked great pistols. But could not handle a steady diet of real much less hot 10mm ammo. And they still can't.

The contrast is Glock! Once they started making a 10mm pistol they have stuck by it! For that dedication I bought one. A G20 with a barrel that has good support. But a really sloppy chamber like everything else they make.

I like my G20!
The 10 Ring

Why? It's the round. It's the 10mm wonderful auto pistol round the Glock launch's with ease if you set it up right. It will let a shooter explore the insane world of 10mm if your a reloader. And it's deadly accurate out to 100 yards with the stock sites.

Just blows my mind how Glock can put this wonderful platform together and blow the barrel and chamber.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 14:58   #26
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

My G20sf and G29sf are both newer gen 3 gray matte type finish, and both have better chamber support and leave less hog belly than did my earlier G20's/G29's. Still loose enough for a 'feed anything combat gun', but yes, the chambers are a tad tighter than the earlier models i have. Ilike them and have never had a problem with any type load in them.

Good shooting

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 16:20   #27
texas 48
Gold Membership
Citizen

Glocks are combat pistols and as such were never designed as match grade weapons. Combat weapons should be able to feed and fire reliably. The chambers are designed with reliability and functionality in less than perfect conditions. All the 10mm glocks I have owned have never had a feed issue no failures to fire and all have been tack drivers.
Glock has tightened up the chambers in the gen 3 20sf and 29sf I own but will hog belly my hot loads but I have not had any smiles. For the range I use my Kkm barrels to avoid the bellies but use my OEMs for carry. If you want a match grade gun pony up for a Kimber or a. Colt but you won't get the reliability or capacity.
Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
texas 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 16:32   #28
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas 48 View Post
Glocks are combat pistols and as such were never designed as match grade weapons. Combat weapons should be able to feed and fire reliably. The chambers are designed with reliability and functionality in less than perfect conditions. All the 10mm glocks I have owned have never had a feed issue no failures to fire and all have been tack drivers.
Glock has tightened up the chambers in the gen 3 20sf and 29sf I own but will hog belly my hot loads but I have not had any smiles. For the range I use my Kkm barrels to avoid the bellies but use my OEMs for carry. If you want a match grade gun pony up for a Kimber or a. Colt but you won't get the reliability or capacity.
I agree, but, will have to add, hog bellies do not have to be part of the make up. I can easily live with loose chambers, but not with poor support, and yes, with poor support, requires after market barrel purchase. Like I have said, have owned 5 Glock 10MM's and only two had bad support. IMHO, there should be none. Loose chambers, fine, but full support can, and has, been done with stock barrels. They all should be!! I have a LW 5.15" barrel, and the only reason I do is to meet Ohio's minimum length requirement for deer hunting. Pretty sure, I wouldn't want to have to waste the money only for the reason that my factory barrel destroys brass.
Old 08-05-2012, 17:30   #29
texas 48
Gold Membership
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyInMT View Post
Do you have a kkm for the 29sf as well? how does it fare with accuracy? i had been thinking about getting one due to how my stock barrel is a bit wild with hard cast bullets.
I have 2 KKM barrels for my 29sf. 1 3.78in and 1 4.6in. Both are spot on accurate and excellent chamber support and they both have eaten everything they have been fed

texas 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:53   #30
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
Well,,, I thought I had read that the G29 Chamber seemed to be a tad tighter than the G20 Chambers. 3rd Gen that is.

Yes I would agree the 3rd Gen Chambers have more support than 1st and 2nd Gens. But there still sloppy loose beyond sanity. My OEM G20 Chamber is awful in my opinion. I can put a piece of shot / fire formed brass out of my LW Barrel in and it still rattles around in the near worthless OEM G20 Chamber. Theres .010+" slop in that useless chamber.

None of my semi auto pistol's have a chamber as sloppy as my G20's OEM chamber. Not a one. Thus why I've never shot the crap barrel.

I just hate having to go out, buy a G29 and order a barrel for it cause Glock has some whacked out euro trash spec and design theory. I didn't mind it to much for the G20. But that was still money need not be spent if Glock just did it right to start with.
A Barsto barrel fixed my G20 crappy barrel
Never had a problem or smiley since. IMO Glock barrels are @#$%^&
Old 08-02-2013, 14:25   #31
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSTIL1 View Post
My brand new G29 has a very loose chamber. I just tried some underwood 180g JHP and every round had the glock smiley.
That's been my experience, as well. I backed off my handloads d/t the terrible brass damage I was getting from my G20FS Gen3 OEM bbl. But then got the same thing with UA loads!? When I bought the 6" KKM for it, my cases were fine. I also carefully worked my loads back up and all was well. I've found the KKM's to be very reliable also.
I understand the loose OEM chambers may have been engineered for reliability for reducing FTF's, but I don't get FTF's with a bbl that has a more supported chamber, either. (KKM). So...
10-Ring #2112 10mm Loaders #2112
G20 Gen3, G29SF Gen3, G23 Gen4
Armalite M15/YHM 20" 5.56 "100m fly swatter"
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:53   #32
G29SFWTF

Yes the chamber in stock bbl may be loose but I understood that Glock did that for feed reliability. It's not like they can't get their process right, they're doing it on purpose correct?

This is not a chamber issue but my experience with the stock G29 (Gen3) barrel was huge tumbling with the Underwood 135 grain. Classic keyhole pattern and I was lucky to hit paper at 15 yards. Higher grains did fine with accuracy. I switched to KKM and it shoots a ragged hole with all grains at same distance.

Last edited by G29SFWTF; 08-03-2013 at 07:57..
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:51   #33
Bongo Boy

Hmmm...I carry the G29 concealed everyday with no problem at all, often with just a T-shirt and I don't wear big baggy sloppy clothes. But as for the stock chambers, not sure what is meant as 'sloppy'. To me, 'sloppy' and 'poorly supported' are completely different, even if both contribute to improved reliability (or not).

In any case my G29 was purchased new within the past year and I assume it's been manufactured roughly within the past year, too. It's support is virtually identical to my G29 aftermarket barrel, although the LWD is very slightly greater in terms of support.

Over pressure is over pressure, to me, and I've swelled the cases in some of my loads regardless of which barrel they're fired in. The barrels are insignificantly different in that regard. Likewise for accuracy--I'm unable to demonstrate any difference at all in accuracy that I'd attribute to the barrel, mainly since my shooting accuracy can (and does) change during the same shooting session far more than any barrel could be blamed for.

Now, today, shooting freestyle indoors at 15 yds, I was able to put a box of handloads into one single hole. It wasn't a tiny hole, but it was 50 rds in one hole about 2" in diameter. It's a subcompact CCW handgun--that's close enough I think.

As for being sloppy, I have noticed that if I scrape up all the disaster hand loads up off my loading bench (stuff I really should throw in the trash) and take them to the range with the stock glock barrels--they'll all shoot just fine. I've had brass I forgot to base size (the stuff I did swell or smile), necks I crushed and wrinkled, and some just plain butt-ugly loads that I considered safe to shoot...probably. In fact I took about 40 of them to the range today, and while it may have taken a second try on a few of them, they all chambered and fired in the Glock stock barrel.

I know in many cases the reason they were at home on the bench was because they simply wouldn't chamber in the LWD barrel at all. So, that's NOT the barrel I want in my carry piece--I'll stick with the stock barrel. Sloppy...if that's what it is...is exactly what I want. I don't think there's a thing wrong with the stock barrels, at least of recent manufacture.

All 300 rounds I fired today were 0.1gr over published max, should be pushing the 180gr slugs out at about 1,200 fps or so, minimum, and none of them appeared damaged. I believe they will all slide through a full-length die with little trouble and very little change in shape. I just don't see a problem.

I think we all share the same experience with round itself, however--as mentioned many times here and often not really joking much, it's really quite extraordinary. That I was able to shoot 300 rds of a reasonably-substantial load (respectable, I think) in 90 minutes and not feel fatigued much at all says something about the value of the caliber, and maybe something about the G29 as well.

We can all congratulate one another for making an awesome discovery.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 08-10-2013 at 12:53..
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 13:28   #34
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the first G29 a 2.5 gen and then it saw the addition of the rail to make it a 3rd gen?
G2930SF, The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #???, US Army Veteran

Old 08-15-2013, 14:27   #35
palabman

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas 48 View Post
I have 2 KKM barrels for my 29sf. 1 3.78in and 1 4.6in. Both are spot on accurate and excellent chamber support and they both have eaten everything they have been fed
Does the 4.6in KKM also fit the 20sf by chance? I don't see why it wouldn't. The reason I'm asking is I have a KKM for my 20sf and would like to use it at the range in the 29sf I just purchased.
palabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 14:31   #36
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by palabman View Post
Does the 4.6in KKM also fit the 20sf by chance? I don't see why it wouldn't. The reason I'm asking is I have a KKM for my 20sf and would like to use it at the range in the 29sf I just purchased.
Nope, the barrel lugs are different between the G29 and G20
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 08-15-2013 at 14:32..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 14:58   #37
palabman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Nope, the barrel lugs are different between the G29 and G20
Crap
palabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 15:44   #38
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-30Jet View Post
Glock has carried over the reliability thought into all their weapons. Yes the chambers are loose. Yes the newer gen 3 weapons have better support for the critical pressure ring area. Tight or match barrels are just that. Reliability with "all" loads will indeed suffer. You will have to tune your loads for your particular weapon. Bullet ogive and profile are a big contributor to reloading very feed-able ammo.

Some of us actually like the pursuit of working up loads.

Anyway think about what you want, better brass support for hotter loads or a tight match chamber for target shooting or a little of both. I don't know if Barstow is still making barrels or not. They would be the guys to talk to. These tubes are not cheap but they are among the very best!
Baarstow still makes barrels. I have one in my 10mm as I will not use Glock barrels in my G20 due to smileys with factory ammo. Never had a problem. Going to get a 6 inch barstow in a few months. Barstow: 605-720-4000
Old 08-23-2013, 16:52   #39
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

I have the factory 3.8", an LWD 4.6" and a KKM 4 3/8" for my G29. I have never hand loaded and I have never seen a smiley on my brass. When I shoot Underwood I use my LWD or KKM barrel just because they were designed specifically to have better chamber support, so why not trust that there is a reason for that.

I don't even have a holster that fits my G29, I carry it in my front pocket everywhere I go. I am too old and too fat to wear tight pants so most of my pants have large and loose pockets, and I don't really care how much the gun prints.
G2930SF, The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #???, US Army Veteran

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 08-23-2013 at 17:10..
vaquero aleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:07   #40
dryfly
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquero aleman View Post
I don't even have a holster that fits my G29, I carry it in my front pocket everywhere I go. I am too old and too fat to wear tight pants so most of my pants have large and loose pockets, and I don't really care how much the gun prints.
Do you have one in the chamber when in pocket ?
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote