Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-10-2013, 22:17   #1
Glock 1

Finally took the G20 out today

Gen 4 G20. Took it out today with 50rds. of Buffalo Bore 180gr JHP. 1350FPS 728ft lbs. I didn't know whether to cry or be thankful that I only took 50 rds. Let me explain...

When I first joined this forum I knew there was a group of nuts lurking around here who loved these 10MM's. I avoided them like the plague. They hated on my beloved 45 acp and were constantly blathering on about their 10MM and its ballistic superiority over my coveted 45 acp. The 45! I mean, its the GOD of handguns! It's the gun I took my CHL with! My nightstand gun, my safety net, my prized Glock possession for crying out loud! I got tired of hearing it. I vowed to NEVER give them a second thought. I would protect my G21 and let them go on thinking their petty 10MM was superior, that will show them!

But, one of my distributors sent me an e-mail saying they had some new guns in stock. They gave me a list. I grabbed a few EAA 10MM's and a Gen 4 G20 along with some G23's and some Gen 4 G27's. I had been waiting so long for the G27 Gen 4 to come in and I was excited! I would finally get my go to carry gun!

Then I held the Gen 4 G20. Intriguing... The grip, the feel, the capacity... It was the same size as my G21. How is that possible? It is an inferior round, is it not?!? No, no, no, of course it is inferior! But...why did Glock give it equal stature to my G21! I must know!

Curiosity got the best of me. I came here and sneaked into the 10 Ring and I began to read... I began...to doubt. I must know!

I added the G20 to my collection. I ordered some ammo for it and swore I could always sell it once I found out... Nay, once I PROVED it was indeed inferior to my G21 which I had lovingly nicknamed... The Beast. My day at the range would come. I would take both... and compare. Yes...that will be the test.

Today was range day. I loaded my G21 with care and ran a few magazines down range and the familiar recoil of the powerhouse 45 acp found a renewed home in my heart. Right there next to God and my Country!

With a smile on my face and doubt in my mind I loaded the G20 and shot it. What?!?! This cannot be! What is this magic!?! What is this devilry!?! The power! The recoil! The accuracy! The people at the range staring at me! Why am I talking like Jack from The Nightmare before Christmas while I type this!?!?!

My son brought me back to reality with a nudge. He is asking to shoot the 45.. The 40 what? I say in a daze. The 45 he says. Yes I say.. go on.. Shoot it all you want. I need to shoot the 10 more.. Need? Did I say NEED?

Sorry, I got wrapped up in the moment. Anyway, I love this gun. It is my new favorite. I love my G21SF but the 10MM is now "The Beast". I must have the G29 to go with it. I can only hope they come out with a G29S. I let several people shoot it today and it was the life of the party. All I could think of was "it can be loaded hotter!" I giggled like a school girl in the boys locker room as I shot it and enjoyed every minute of it.

I will say this. The Lone Wolf GRA is not needed. I ended up taking it out and going back with factory because I was getting FTF's. It's shoots great stock. I love the power, the noise, the grouping, everything about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 22:33   #2
RooK
10mm

Awesome story, haha. The first cartridge I ever helped handload, was the 10mm. My uncle showed me how when he was loading up some silvertips one night, for his S&W 1006 no less. There is a mystique surround the caliber and what it can do, some people have never heard of it still. I've never been recoil shy, so that factor never bothered me. The .45 may have the bigger bullet, but the 10mm just makes you grin.
RooK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 22:45   #3
palabman

Great read. Congats on the new G20. I just picked one up about a month ago and have yet to shoot anything hot but loved the hell out of it shooting the PPS hollow points I had. I like it so much I just ordered a G29SF. I have about 500 Golden Sabers and can't wait to start working up some hotter loads.
palabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 22:56   #4
countrygun

Sounds similar to "I was scared, it was dark, and I was alone".

Losing a different kind of virginity though.

The 10mm tends to grow on you, by about the second shot.

I was shooting the 10 long before I ever had my first Glock so none of it was really new to me with my 20sf, until I looked at the target. I am sorry to say Glock fans but I am more used to match grade 1911s and their groups and have always felt Glocks to be "OK, I guess". But the G-20 actually made me sit up and take notice.

I do not have extensive experience with Glocks but a lot of experience with other guns. I also have no experience with witchcraft so I can't say for sure if the G-20 is abnormally accurate for a Glock, I've just had, Glocks that were having a bad day, or there's some hoodoo voodoo going on.

I have heard shooters of the .45 Glop..errr..GAP say that caliber was above normal in accuracy, but, well, when someone that would.....never mind.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 23:19   #5
Bongo Boy

Yup. Everyone here could have told you this would happen, but it would have seemed ridiculous, and you just have to experience it yourself. Congrats.

And I felt the same as you regarding the 45ACP and I'm not saying one is 'better' than the other. I'm just saying...it's an awesome round that deserves all the respect it has. But I think the 10 is even awesomer.

As I slowly trudge through knee-high empty 10mm brass on the floor of the garage to get from the back door to the loading bench, I wonder why I would bother shooting anything else.
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:40   #6
bmoore

Love my 20SF. I had the same reaction the first time I touched off a real 10mm.
Old 08-11-2013, 13:30   #7
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Great read. Congrats on your new G20 Gen4! I scratched the 10mm itch with a G29sf. I'll eventually buy a G20 Gen4.

You need to get your hands on some Underwood 10mm ammo. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 15:48   #8
BigBull 301

Welcome to the dark side!!

Now get a 29
Old 08-11-2013, 17:26   #9
Python-Hunter
NRA Life Member

Good posts!

I just received my GSSF Coupon to purchase a Blue Label Glock! I am really leaning toward the Glock 20 Gen 4.

I expect to Deer Hunt with it. The Hunting Regulations require a 5.5" Minimum Barrel for Hunting.

I've looked at Glock, Lone Wolf & KKM barrels.

They all have 6" Barrels. Now I have to decide if I want a Longer, Threaded Barrel or Not. (Flash Suppressor later?).

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.........
Old 08-11-2013, 17:33   #10
Jbehredt

21 is a nice piece but the 20 slung across your chest just feels better when you hear something rustle in the bushes.
Jbehredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 17:49   #11
ccoprdc

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 10mm Glock 1.
For me it's an addiction that I don't ever want to find a cure for. A
caliber versatile enough to go from 9mm power levels all the way up to
magnum level and all from the same sexy package (that is for those of
us who can call a Glock sexy). Welcome to the addiction Glock 1.

David C.
aka ccoprdc

Last edited by ccoprdc; 08-11-2013 at 17:50..
ccoprdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 18:28   #12
G29SFWTF

Don't hold back, tell is what you really think about the G20.

After reading all the G20 posts I would like to get one but can't really justify it. I know I would never carry it except just to see what it's like. I will keep my G29 though.
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 19:19   #13
oceanbob

We all love the 10MM and now you understand...

Have fun and enjoy...

Be well
Bob
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 19:35   #14
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Great read!

`Come over to the dark side...we have candy
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 19:36   #15
bac1023

Congrats on the G20.

The 10mm is an awesome round for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 20:03   #16
Glock 1

Thank you all for the kind words of welcome. it is indeed an itch. I am watching for a G29SF now. Or a Gen 4 G29. Either will work.

I posted about my new found love for the 10MM on Facebook and of course all my friends who don't shoot 10's are offering up much more "effective, inexpensive, more powerful, and "just plain better"" rounds. They do not understand.

It was hard not to go back to the range today. My wifes family is in town and its been 4 years since we have seen them. When I told her I was going shooting again today she said I was being antisocial and would not get to spend any time with her family. Apparently I am the only one who finds nothing wrong with that. I think "And?" was the INCORRECT response.

So, I stayed home. But, going back next weekend. I am going to try and get some Underwood ammo before I go back. I want some of the really hot stuff.

Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 20:57   #17
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Welcome to the lair, sir!!

It happens to the best of us!

Nick
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 21:21   #18
ShallNotBeInfringed
NRA Business Al

My carry gun for over 20 years. I also feel a hot .40 S&W in a smaller frame G23 is pretty special.
ShallNotBeInfringed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 22:48   #19
pasky2112

Enjoy your new friend, Glock 1! Save your brass! Have fun and let us know when you get the G29 in a cpl months. My G20FS got a 'baby' sister G29SF only six weeks apart. The GSSF Coupon program is brilliant and nice for shooters from all shapes and sizes. That's how I got my G29. If you can get to a match, they're a great experience too.
Congrats, brother!
10-Ring #2112 10mm Loaders #2112
G20 Gen3, G29SF Gen3, G23 Gen4
Armalite M15/YHM 20" 5.56 "100m fly swatter"
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 17:00   #20
tenforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTRESORT20 View Post
Great read!

`Come over to the dark side...we have candy
And mushroom......

..... clouds

Congratulations on discovering the 10mm - yes its an addiction.

I brought the lanes either side of me to a standstill at my LGC on Saturday when I started shooting Underwood 180's from my G20.

I put 2 tight groups of 5 into the middle of 2 targets at 15 yds by which time everybody was staring at me.

The guy next to me wanted to know "what the hell Glock is that?" as the sound of the last shots reverberated around the local hills.

Last edited by tenforme; 08-12-2013 at 17:07..
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote