GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 23:44   #1
UselessEnergy
simple user
 
UselessEnergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 193
UE's 21sf .40 Super Noob-ject

General Glocking

First Trip to the Range


After months and months of parting this mess together, Ive finally come to the point where its ready to shoot.. almost.

The Noob-ject (im hardly a pro):

The .40 Super ... if you dont know, check it out.

Underwood ammo 135gr 10mm vs 135gr .40 Super!!!
  • Caliber: 10mm Auto
  • Bullet Weight: 135 Grains
  • Bullet Style: Sierra Jacketed Hollow Point
  • Case Type: Brass

    Ballistics Information:
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1600 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 767 ft. lbs.
  • Caliber: 40 Super
  • Bullet Weight: 135 Grains
  • Bullet Style: Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point
  • Case Type: Brass

    Ballistics Information:
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1775 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 945 ft. lbs.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40_Super
... there is little out there on the round, but there is some.
(needless to say 9x25 D, 357 sig, 10mm, .400corbon, .45 Super; Eat your Heart OUT)

Parts:

-Gen 3 21sf
-Lone Wolf M/21L .40 Super barrel, cut down to 135mm
-Meprolight Adj Tritium Night sights.
-Wolff self-defense 3pc spring kit
-Wolff stainless steel guide rod/ 24lb guide spring
-RockYourGlock custom engraved slide cover plate
-glockpolishing slug plug
-Glock 10round mag
-Insight M3 light
-Duracoat paint by Lauer Weaponry
-VHT High Heat header paint

Ammo:

-Double Tap 135gr Nosler tip
-Double Tap 200gr Nosler tip
-Underwood 220gr hard cast

The symbol painted on the slide is a dress from the Iroquois Nations. fyi

Lauer Weaponry asks that you dont shoot your firearm for a couple weeks, so in a bit Ill be bringing it to the range (when I do Ill supply my novice report)

Until then, heres some images of what ive managed to destroy ha

General Glocking
General Glocking


General Glocking
General Glocking
General Glocking




thanks for taking a look, hope you liked what you saw.. and if not, I wont loose sleep over it.

cheers
__________________
Honor and Respect All of the Constitution, or Shove Off

Last edited by UselessEnergy; 08-20-2013 at 16:42..
UselessEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 23:49   #2
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict
 
stolenphot0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kettering, OH
Posts: 5,021
Never heard of the round, but think it would be fun to shoot, but hard to plink with. Hope you take a video
stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 23:57   #3
UselessEnergy
simple user
 
UselessEnergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenphot0 View Post
Never heard of the round, but think it would be fun to shoot, but hard to plink with. Hope you take a video
Yes, Def not a plinker. Ill share the video asap
__________________
Honor and Respect All of the Constitution, or Shove Off
UselessEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 00:01   #4
Hondo341
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 193
That is one gorgeous pistol. Looks awesome!!
Hondo341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:16   #5
UselessEnergy
simple user
 
UselessEnergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo341 View Post
That is one gorgeous pistol. Looks awesome!!
thank you
__________________
Honor and Respect All of the Constitution, or Shove Off
UselessEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:39   #6
ctious
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 540
It is a cool round. But the 10mm will match it no problem. Easier to reload. Brass is way cheaper. One less step in reloading also. The only reason I could see to own one would be if u were a 45 lover and wanted to just drop a barrel in and hunt.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:58   #7
colin1230
Senior Member
 
colin1230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 838
I can dig it !!
__________________
G17, G19, G21, G26, G34 and G42.
NRA Life Member
AF&AM Life Member
colin1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:13   #8
blkt6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Jupiter,FL
Posts: 60
Very cool gun. That's what's great about this sport, you can try different things and ideas !!
blkt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:17   #9
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,602
Very few know about the .40 Super, it's a very interesting and powerful cartridge. Your Glock looks great I might add, very unique and personal. Thumbs up for your effort and I hope you enjoy it!

Also, as I'm sure you're aware, Underwoods makes some very good .40 Super ammo too.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/40super.aspx
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."

Last edited by SDGlock23; 08-12-2013 at 08:48..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:23   #10
UselessEnergy
simple user
 
UselessEnergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctious View Post
It is a cool round. But the 10mm will match it no problem. Easier to reload. Brass is way cheaper. One less step in reloading also. The only reason I could see to own one would be if u were a 45 lover and wanted to just drop a barrel in and hunt.
It is a cool round. Actually from what Ive read and seen, the 10mm has the ability to match the 40. Super when its pushed to its maximum - then bumping the case pressure up in the 40. S (which is higher than the 10) and its out of the 10s league. Its when the 10mm is running out of steam, the .40 Super is just getting going.. A monster of a round. I had a G20 and loved it; but I did tons of data collection on the 40. S and it truly is a class above the 10mm. Thanks for the reply though

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1230 View Post
I can dig it !!
haha. I hope I can dig the recoil. Im sure itll be a bear, but manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkt6 View Post
Very cool gun. That's what's great about this sport, you can try different things and ideas !!
Most certainly. I love the 21 slide because it offers SOO many options for caliber conversions.. anything from the 9x25 D to the 460 Rowland.
__________________
Honor and Respect All of the Constitution, or Shove Off
UselessEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27   #11
UselessEnergy
simple user
 
UselessEnergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
Very few know about the .40 Super, it's a very interesting and powerful cartridge. Your Glock looks great I might add, very unique and personal. Thumbs up for your effort and I hope you enjoy it!
I appreciate that, thank you. I know its different, but Its me and I absolutely love how it turned out. Thanks again for the compliments.

And, thats very true, the round is really not well known at all. Every search online and you have to sift through 45 Super and 400 corbon threads.

Im highly anticipating its first trip to the range.
__________________
Honor and Respect All of the Constitution, or Shove Off

Last edited by UselessEnergy; 08-12-2013 at 08:34..
UselessEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:50   #12
GRT45
Transform & Win
 
GRT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,914
The .40 Super round is a terrific choice for a wildcat caliber and it is beautifully executed in your custom pistol. Kudos to you for carefully researching this option.

I intend to convert a new G30 Gen4 to 40 Super instead of 10mm. It will be used exclusively for woods protection and the available 40 Super factory ammo options exceed the performance of 10mm factory ammo at the top end. For example, Underwood offers 40 Super 220gr HC-FN rated at 1350 fps, 890 ft-lbf. The 40 Super conversion is also less complicated since the stock 45 extractor and 45ACP mags can be used.

When we recently upgraded to Gen4, a G30SF pistol was gifted to my nephew and the 10mm conversion gear went with the pistol. 10mm Auto is a good option for a converted pistol intended for various uses in target shooting, personal defense, hunting, woods protection and competition since there are far more factory ammo options available in 10mm that cover a wide range of power.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 08-12-2013 at 08:55..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01   #13
UselessEnergy
simple user
 
UselessEnergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT45 View Post
The .40 Super round is a terrific choice for a wildcat caliber and it is beautifully executed in your custom pistol. Kudos to you for carefully researching this option.

I intend to convert a new G30 Gen4 to 40 Super instead of 10mm. It will be used exclusively for woods protection and the available 40 Super factory ammo options exceed the performance of 10mm factory ammo at the top end. For example, Underwood offers 40 Super 220gr HC-FN rated at 1350 fps, 890 ft-lbf. The 40 Super conversion is also less complicated since the stock 45 extractor and 45ACP mags can be used.

When we recently upgraded to Gen4, a G30SF pistol was gifted to my nephew and the 10mm conversion gear went with the pistol. 10mm Auto is a good option for a converted pistol intended for various uses in target shooting, personal defense, hunting, woods protection and competition since there are far more factory ammo options available in 10mm that cover a wide range of power.
GRT45, You've been one of my helpful resources for putting this noob-ject into gear. Thanks for the help and the kind words
__________________
Honor and Respect All of the Constitution, or Shove Off
UselessEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:10   #14
ctious
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 540
Pressure for 40 super is 37000. 10mm 37500. So not much difference there. It's just that most 10mm factory ammo is not loaded to its top. When top to top is compaired the 40 super will edge out a little. But the added cost I don't think is worth the little added power. My personal hunting load is a 200 gr at 1450 in my 10mm. So I see no increase for using the 40 super.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:38   #15
ctious
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 540
On a side note. I would love to see the 10mm brass made like the 40 super. Small pistol primer. Thicker case web.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 13:51   #16
UselessEnergy
simple user
 
UselessEnergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctious View Post
Pressure for 40 super is 37000. 10mm 37500. So not much difference there. It's just that most 10mm factory ammo is not loaded to its top. When top to top is compaired the 40 super will edge out a little. But the added cost I don't think is worth the little added power. My personal hunting load is a 200 gr at 1450 in my 10mm. So I see no increase for using the 40 super.
I assume youre handloading your 10mm.. which compared to my factory data is apples to oranges. Double Tap has been loading 10mm since the creation of time and they've exhausted the caliber's outer power limits.

If I handloaded .40 Super Id have no problem braking 39,000 - the cases are absolute hulks.

I dont disagree that the 10 is a Wonderful round; but for limited exposure/pure power and ft.lbs + knock down ability, the 10mm without a question bows to the .40 super

simple science
__________________
Honor and Respect All of the Constitution, or Shove Off
UselessEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 17:01   #17
greenlion
Senior Member
 
greenlion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 929
Whats the point in launching a little low-sectional-density bullet that fast? Just cause you can?

If you are hunting, you'd be way better off with a much heavier bullet in 44 magnum or larger revolvers.
greenlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 19:24   #18
ctious
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
Whats the point in launching a little low-sectional-density bullet that fast? Just cause you can?

If you are hunting, you'd be way better off with a much heavier bullet in 44 magnum or larger revolvers.
Why do hunting rifles shoot light small bullets fast and kill?
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 19:30   #19
ctious
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessEnergy View Post
I assume youre handloading your 10mm.. which compared to my factory data is apples to oranges. Double Tap has been loading 10mm since the creation of time and they've exhausted the caliber's outer power limits.

If I handloaded .40 Super Id have no problem braking 39,000 - the cases are absolute hulks.

I dont disagree that the 10 is a Wonderful round; but for limited exposure/pure power and ft.lbs + knock down ability, the 10mm without a question bows to the .40 super

simple science
I understand what u are saying. But pressure being identical the 40 super is only slightly faster. Like I said its a cool round. But the added work and cost I don't see it worth the money. I know my hunting load is over book pressure for the 10mm. But I don't think its very far over. Being I have no pressure signs and the primers look fine. The 10mm was originally set at 42000. I believe. So there is a little room. I am wondering how hot one could push the 40 super. Being the case is really strong.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 19:32   #20
UselessEnergy
simple user
 
UselessEnergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
Whats the point in launching a little low-sectional-density bullet that fast? Just cause you can?

If you are hunting, you'd be way better off with a much heavier bullet in 44 magnum or larger revolvers.
? What makes a .4" bullet small ?

sidenote: I can drop a Maine Bull Moose with a 22 short

__________________
Honor and Respect All of the Constitution, or Shove Off
UselessEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,199
311 Members
888 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42