GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 13:52   #1
JAS104
NRA Life Member
 
JAS104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,927
Does this look normal?

Gen 4 19 with only around 1k rounds through it. Does it look like excessive wear on the locking block? No aftermarket parts or anything, it's all stock. As i said its a Gen 4 19, serial number RXVXXX.It almost looks to me like its worn down to copper. Thing its something to be concerned about? The gun is still perfectly operational, I just want to get some advice.
Thanks all
Attached Thumbnails
General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version   General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version  
__________________
Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?
JAS104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 13:57   #2
J_P
Senior Member
 
J_P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 711
How does the barrel lugs look, any excess wear on them or on the slide where there is friction, maybe a burr on the underside of the slide. Hard to tell in the pics!


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
-Glock 17 Gen 4
-Glock 19 Gen 4
-Spikes Tactical 16" Mid-length--ST-15
J_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 14:00   #3
high ground
Senior Member
 
high ground's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: VA
Posts: 399
Looks fine to me for 1000 rounds.
__________________
MMC(SW/AW), USN
"What is right and what is fair are often not the same."
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
high ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 14:08   #4
JAS104
NRA Life Member
 
JAS104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P View Post
How does the barrel lugs look, any excess wear on them or on the slide where there is friction, maybe a burr on the underside of the slide. Hard to tell in the pics!


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Sorry about that I took the pics with my phone .
The barrel lugs look fine, little to no wear at all, and the slide looks fine. Its just weird to be that the block is so worn, it almost looks like a silver metal is peeling off and exposing copper underneath?
__________________
Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?
JAS104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 14:14   #5
Maine
Senior Member
 
Maine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,486
It looks excessive to me. I no longer own any Glocks but I've put thousands of rounds through at least a few of mine and never wore off the finish like that.
__________________

Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 14:17   #6
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy
 
Joshhtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,781


Looks excessive to me!
__________________
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***CHECK OUT MY EBAY STORE FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED-***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 14:18   #7
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 56,995


I don't see any metal being worn away, just the surface coating.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 14:21   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: east of East St. Louis
Posts: 33,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
Sorry about that I took the pics with my phone .
The barrel lugs look fine, little to no wear at all, and the slide looks fine. Its just weird to be that the block is so worn, it almost looks like a silver metal is peeling off and exposing copper underneath?
What cleaners do you use?

The locking block is a steel part with a copper cladding to allow the nickel plating to adhere. Many cleaners are VERY damaging to the nickel plating. That is all you are seeing, the plating coming off. If you are seriously concerned, search for a Glock certified Armorer in your area. Gunshops, ranges are the best locations to find an Armorer.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 14:27   #9
JAS104
NRA Life Member
 
JAS104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
What cleaners do you use?

The locking block is a steel part with a copper cladding to allow the nickel plating to adhere. Many cleaners are VERY damaging to the nickel plating. That is all you are seeing, the plating coming off. If you are seriously concerned, search for a Glock certified Armorer in your area. Gunshops, ranges are the best locations to find an Armorer.
BreakFree CLP, but I've used Hoppes #9 a few times as well. Do you think this errosion of the plating will effect the cycling function over time? Wanted to get a few opinions on here before i went to see an armorer.
__________________
Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?
JAS104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 15:26   #10
willieH
Senior Member
 
willieH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
Gen 4 19 with only around 1k rounds through it. Does it look like excessive wear on the locking block? No aftermarket parts or anything, it's all stock. As i said its a Gen 4 19, serial number RXVXXX.It almost looks to me like its worn down to copper. Thing its something to be concerned about? The gun is still perfectly operational, I just want to get some advice.
Thanks all
I don't know if this helps, but this is a G23gen4 with less than 1K rounds (I don't count).

General Firearms Forum
willieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 15:30   #11
LeMat
Jellybaby?
 
LeMat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Flathead Valley, MT
Posts: 717
Its fine. Don't worry about it.

Sent from my TT Capsule Type 40 MK I TARDIS.
__________________
What a blow that was to us! And how it shamed us! All that brave talk by patriots, "The government will never take my guns away," and then nothing but meek submission when it happened.
NRA Life Member
The 10 Ring #1300
LeMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 15:39   #12
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
 
OldSchool64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In The Danger Zone
Posts: 5,411
Anyone who thinks they know what "normal" is has gotta be delusional






Edited to add... ... don't take me too seriously.

Last edited by OldSchool64; 07-31-2013 at 15:49.. Reason: spelling
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 15:44   #13
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: east of East St. Louis
Posts: 33,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
BreakFree CLP, but I've used Hoppes #9 a few times as well. Do you think this errosion of the plating will effect the cycling function over time? Wanted to get a few opinions on here before i went to see an armorer.
The plating is for corrosion protection/prevention.
Hoppes #9 will severely erode and peel nickel plating. Use in barrel if you like, but keep it off all small parts.
A Glock certified Armorer will, most likely, replace the locking block for free. You can replace it yourself, if you want to avoid the hassle and buy the block yourself. That is what I would do.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 15:49   #14
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: east of East St. Louis
Posts: 33,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool64 View Post
anyone who thinks they know what "normal" is as gotta be delusional






edited to add... ... Don't take me too seriously.
ybnrml
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 15:59   #15
vafish
Senior Member
 
vafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia
Posts: 24,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
The plating is for corrosion protection/prevention.
Hoppes #9 will severely erode and peel nickel plating. Use in barrel if you like, but keep it off all small parts.
I think I owned one nickel plated gun years ago, and I haven't used #9 in 20 years or more. So I probably haven't paid attention to this.

But I had never heard of hoppes#9 being bad for nickel plated guns. Did a bit of google searching and it has a horrible reputation for turning the nickel plating milky and causing flaking if left on too long.

I learned something new today.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
__________________
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 16:01   #16
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew
 
concretefuzzynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: VB, VA
Posts: 6,261
At least this was not a locker room question.
__________________
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 16:13   #17
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
 
OldSchool64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In The Danger Zone
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
At least this was not a locker room question.

You want a locker room question, go here...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1497446

Last edited by OldSchool64; 07-31-2013 at 16:15.. Reason: 'cause I can & 'cause I can't type
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 17:55   #18
moeman
Senior Member
 
moeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I don't see any metal being worn away, just the surface coating.
+1

If the metal doesn't look square on the edges you may an issue ( can't tell from the pics) but not likely.
Remember Glocks have very short metal insert that interface with the slide.... From what I see no biggy.

Last edited by moeman; 08-01-2013 at 04:23..
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 18:03   #19
45caldan
Senior Member
 
45caldan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: central Florida
Posts: 1,022
I don't think you have a problem....
If it really bothers you, then for less than a box of GOOD ammo, you can replace it!
http://www.glockmeister.com/Locking-...s/products/92/
Glock parts are sooooo cheap!!!
__________________
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Last edited by 45caldan; 07-31-2013 at 18:04..
45caldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 18:06   #20
MarcDW
MDW Guns
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Maine USA
Posts: 5,087
Stop worrying and keep on shooting!
__________________
Glock Armorer - FFL/01/08/SOT
Importer of fine firearms
see
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for current inventory
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
gen 4, gen 4 glock 19, glock, locking block, wear
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:23.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,002
296 Members
706 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31