Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:00   #1
stackedup11

Rear Sight Removal

I recently purchased Truglo Tritium Sights and was wondering if its possible to remove the stock rear sight without the use of and expensive sight pusher?
stackedup11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:52   #2
ArGyLe64
Argyle Armoring

Yes. You can use a vise and a soft punch to drift the sights out. As long as you don't pound on them, the glass should hold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Enhancements to make your GLOCK rock!

Certified GLOCK Armorer
ArGyLe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 13:20   #3
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Plastic Glock sights go in and out very easily and it can be done with a punch made of such soft material that there'd be no danger of dinging up the slide. Even a wooden dowel pin can remove a plastic Glock sight.

Putting the new metal sight in though, is a whole different story. Some go in (sort of) almost easy, but some go in so tight that you'd ding up the slide for sure if you don't use a proper sight pusher.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 14:24   #4
stackedup11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
Plastic Glock sights go in and out very easily and it can be done with a punch made of such soft material that there'd be no danger of dinging up the slide. Even a wooden dowel pin can remove a plastic Glock sight.

Putting the new metal sight in though, is a whole different story. Some go in (sort of) almost easy, but some go in so tight that you'd ding up the slide for sure if you don't use a proper sight pusher.
then that being the case would a polymer faced armorers hammer/mallet work with out causing damage?
Old 07-20-2013, 14:41   #5
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackedup11 View Post
then that being the case would a polymer faced armorers hammer/mallet work with out causing damage?
For removal of the old one, no damage to the metal slide, but damage to the plastic sight might happen. But of course plastic Glock sights are so cheap I wouldn't worry about saving the old sight.

When driving in a new metal sight, you'll find that soft hammers require you to beat a lot harder on it to make anything move. A steel hammer hitting a brass punch will allow you to drive in metal sights without having to hit it so hard, but don't take that as meaning I recommend installing new metal sights with a hammer & punch. I know some guys have gotten lucky that way, but it can just as easily result in dings on both sight & slide. I'd find a sight pusher for the new install.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 14:45   #6
markerbeacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackedup11 View Post
I recently purchased Truglo Tritium Sights and was wondering if its possible to remove the stock rear sight without the use of and expensive sight pusher?

take a look to see "How To" or find a Gunsmith. BTW, take them off yourself, it will be cheaper when you see your Gunsmith.
markerbeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 14:53   #7
stackedup11

thank you everyone for the help
Old 07-20-2013, 19:57   #8
Boot Stomper

If you want to do it right this is one of the best tools. Makes putting the sight on easy.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/884...ght-tool-glock

One even better idea is ask here on Glock Talk if there is a Glock armorer in your area that would do it for a few bucks. Most would likely do it for free. Local PD carry Glocks?

Last edited by Boot Stomper; 07-20-2013 at 20:00..
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 22:59   #9
stackedup11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot Stomper View Post
If you want to do it right this is one of the best tools. Makes putting the sight on easy.

[URL]http://www.midwayusa.com/product/884401/maryland-gun-works-rear-sight-tool-glock[/URL]

One even better idea is ask here on Glock Talk if there is a Glock armorer in your area that would do it for a few bucks. Most would likely do it for free. Local PD carry Glocks?
no local pd carries S&W MP .40 not sure about San Diego I might try going to the glock store and see if they will do it but id like to be able to do it myself without spending alot and so i can do it on future projects
Old 07-21-2013, 00:03   #10
jack76590

You will also need a hex nut tool and loctite for installation of new front sight, unless that was included with new sights.

Last edited by jack76590; 07-21-2013 at 00:04..
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 14:47   #11
stackedup11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
You will also need a hex nut tool and loctite for installation of new front sight, unless that was included with new sights.
i got the front sight tool no loctite but i will be getting some thank you
Old 08-09-2013, 15:00   #12
sasqwatch2

I have found that putting the slide in the freezer for a while will make sight removal/installation a lot easier.

When I put TFOs on my G20, I was hesitant to use a hammer, for fear of breaking the tritium vials inside and I really didn't want to purchase an expensive sight pusher or pay someone to install them.

I made my own pusher by welding half of a nail to a 6 in. C-clamp. I use a padded wood clamp to secure the slide to a table, and use the modified C-clamp to push the sight in or out.
sasqwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, modifications, sights