Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:29   #51
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle359 View Post
The lesson that I am taking away from this is to be more mindful about getting yourself in a situation where you do have to defend yourself.
And I'll bet you that's one George has learned as well. I'll bet if he's ever in that situation again he either keeps driving or calls police and stays in his truck.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:33   #52
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
And I'll bet you that's one George has learned as well. I'll bet if he's ever in that situation again he either keeps driving or calls police and stays in his truck.
No doubt his life is changed for ever. Between the media exposure and the fact any number of people will try to make a name for themselves by targeting him for retribution, I would be moving to a small farm somewhere well away from that region.

Shame it has to be like that, but that's the world we're in today.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:42   #53
sappy13

I dont see how you can be more reluctant to fire when the time comes, since you would only want to fire as your last resort. When that time comes, its either him or you.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:52   #54
DOC44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle359 View Post
The lesson that I am taking away from this is to be more mindful about getting yourself in a situation where you do have to defend yourself.
Someone used to post here with a sig line... "If you look like food someone will try to eat you."

Be aware of how you appear to others. I bet if Z had be 6'3" 240 lbs TM would not have jumped him.... Z looked and looks like food.

Doc44
Old 07-14-2013, 07:58   #55
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

Yes, I am still going to carry. With the same mindset as before-- I am not going to shoot unless I or a loved one are about to die if I dont
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59   #56
cfrye11

I hope they give him his gun back. He gives it a nice cleaning and puts it right back where it belongs on his hip.

It is always better to be tried by 6 or twelve then carried by six

molan labe
cfrye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:56   #57
Beretta92guy

Quote:
Uh yeah, any idea how much his legal fees were? Or will continue to be once Crump and the Scheme Team file their civil suits?
oh yeah, his life is destroyed....yeah, he's alive but he will have to look over his shoulder for the rest of his life
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:07   #58
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy13 View Post
I dont see how you can be more reluctant to fire when the time comes, since you would only want to fire as your last resort. When that time comes, its either him or you.
My point was the Zimmerman may affect how I, and probably you, decide when it's a "last resort" situation.

Do you think maybe Zimmerman might have just tried to retain control of his gun a little longer and risk being beaten unconscious rather than fire if he knew what he was in for? He knew police were only minutes, perhaps seconds, away. He knew John Good was calling 911. I suspect he might have been a little more reluctant to fire, though he was entirely justified, if he knew he was going to be the subject of a race based political persecution masquerading as justice.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:13   #59
Hairlesswookiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22Dude View Post
Even though my state has stand your ground law my practice has been and will always be to avoid confrontation even when I am 100% in the right. If I can safely disengage then I'm out. I've had situations where I would have justified in using for and I walked because I don't need the drama.
Me too. Even though it's incredibly difficult to hold restraint with the increasing amount of mouthbreathers out there.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:20   #60
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

The Zimmerman fiasco lends credence to the old saying that it's "better to be judged by 12 (or 6) than to be carried by 6."

Regards,
Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 07-14-2013 at 09:20..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31   #61
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

I believe it was Zimmerman's neighborhood watch position and racial profiling issues that caused all his problems. As an armed citizen who carries for self protection nothing has changed for me.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:08   #62
Bruce M

Quote:
****..., or carried by 3?
Triangular coffin??

http://www.triangleatlantic.com/
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:36   #63
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
....As ALWAYS, I'll do my best to avoid trouble.... If it even sounds like trouble ahead, I'll be going a different way.

But if trouble comes after me, and I fear death or great bodily harm to me or a loved one, I'll defend myself and worry about the consequences later.

The above is talking about outside my home. Inside my home, trouble may find trouble....
Several posts have expressed this line of thought. It simplifies for me the vagueness of statutes involved in SD incidents and provides a common sense approach to carrying a weapon for SD. If my mind computes with certainty that I'm about to be killed, and I have no way to escape, I will respond with any weapon at my disposal to stay alive.

A tactical area that requires additional thought by me involves how to respond in situations where a deadly attack seems imminent but hasn't reached the defend-or-die point. This involves situations where we're confronted by a gun or knife or baseball bat yielding thug, or someone claims he has and intends to use a concealed weapon, or someone who corners us without a weapon displayed or implied, who threatens but hasn't launched an attack. Some threat-of-attack scenarios have more clear cut answers than others, but I'm still trying to sort out how I might respond. My physical circumstances (70+ years of age, bad knees, other issues) and lack of hand-to-hand skills must be factored into the possible responses. All of us should think about these possible scenarios, and maybe most already have.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 07-14-2013 at 12:43..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:38   #64
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Reluctance to defend yourself is to willingly face possible death. Who gains by this change, not the victim.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:43   #65
eb07
Sharkin'

Stupid thread award
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:43   #66
jakebrake
cracker

I would stop, why, exactly?
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:46   #67
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
you've never seen one? burled birchwood, brass hardware... the eternal isosceles....heavenly.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 13:40   #68
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Self-defense was put on trial by the race mongers. Self-defense won. Carry on as usual.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 13:58   #69
Caver 60

Quote:
......if he knew he was going to be the subject of a race based political persecution masquerading as justice.
You hit the nail on the head. I heard on the radio this morning, the Fed's are trying to go after him now. This whole thing has just been a legal attempt at an old fashioned lynching. And they still haven't given up.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 22:19   #70
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

My take on your question is would I rather be Trayvon or Zimmerman. No choice there.

Paul53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 22:24   #71
G22Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairlesswookiee View Post
Me too. Even though it's incredibly difficult to hold restraint with the increasing amount of mouthbreathers out there.
There are truly some folks out there that are so stupid that they seem to do their best to push you into a bad situation. I told my wife years ago that because I know the harm that I can bring in a fight/shooting etc. I try to be more deferential than I need to be. Because when I need to become the beast and snatch somebody's life from their body, those who witness the even will say I was pushed beyond reason
G22Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 22:27   #72
G22Dude

Gents the one thing that this case has brought home for me, and I learned it also in my LEO training, use very nice and loud verbal commands. Let it be said, by witnesses that you said stop, don't do this, go away, I have a gun. Yell it loud. We see from GZ's case that witnesses came out of the woodwork. Do yourselves the favor, put as many people on your side by yelling and appearing to avoid the confrontation, if you can that is
G22Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 22:43   #73
jame
mange takk

Avoid confrontation at all costs.

Draw and fire if my life (or member of my family) is threatened with likely lethal threat.

This is an issue of life and morality, not legal cost or the possible inconveniences of my decision.

Honest to God, I don't understand you question.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 23:01   #74
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame View Post

Honest to God, I don't understand you question.
Reread the thread then, slower. Or don't, at this point I don't really care.
Old 07-14-2013, 23:17   #75
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen

Saw it in an earlier post. Agree 100% A stranger getting attacked is S O L.
The circle of people I am willing to defend has shrunk to me and mine. Anybody else, well, you should have been carrying your own gun. The fact that you don't have one indicates that you probably think only the police should carry guns. So, wait for a cop to show up to save you or write the report.
SpectreRider is offline   Reply With Quote