Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:48   #26
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Correct. Rather than looking for a "defensive" knife,make your criteria one that feels food and is easy to grab, open and close one handed. I too prefer bench made autos, but they aren't legal for most folks. If I couldn't carry an auto, I'd carry an bench made with axis lock. The next best thing to an auto. That or an Applegate fairbairn covert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
Knives are for cutting things, not as a go-to for defense unless you have no other option. I prefer bench made autos.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:50   #27
AXO

I personally like Spyderco or Benchmade. But there are some really nice folders out there. I saw someone posted CRKT brand knives. When I was starting out I purchased several of these and have to say CRKT makes excellent knives for those that don't want to spend in excess of $100. I still daily carry a CRKT "Williams HEIHO". If I remember correctly I paid $37.00 for it. I like how it is not over sized and very comfortable to carry. I've cut anything from letters, wires, etc and the blade is still razor sharp and unmarked.

I really have become very fascinated with Knives lately and my collection is growing quickly. If I had to recommend one brand I would say Spyderco. It reminds me a lot of Glock. Great medium price and Awesome Customer Service.......

Last edited by AXO; 07-04-2013 at 07:52..
AXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:59   #28
triggerjerk

I like the larger Cold Steel Voyagers.

If you feel like getting an automatic look at Protech and Piranha imho.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:23   #29
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v

I've had two SOG folders - they are OK, but that's about it. IMHO there are much better options out there.

For you described "last option" use, nothing beats a wave deployment in my mind, and Emersons have the most "grip-able" handles of any that I've tried (other than the Rukus I mentioned earlier). Another benefit of the grip on the Journeyman and Commander (& the 8 series) that I suggested is the slightly "pointy" grip butt makes an excellent non-lethal striking weapon.

Journeyman
The Cutting Edge

Commander on far left
The Cutting Edge

Mini CQC-8 (Horseman) - I'd go with full size or Super for your purposes
The Cutting Edge
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:44   #30
fastbolt

I tend to agree with many of the observations & comments offered by bdcochran.

As with guns, lots of folks tend to look at folding lockblade knives as if the characteristics & properties of any particular knife is going to make them better able to properly & effectively use it in a defensive encounter.

Ever see someone seriously slashed & cut by a blade? Nasty.

Ever have someone try to slash or stab you with a knife? Disconcerting, to say the least. The first time it happened to me, I'd been practicing the arts for a little over 10 years, and I was able to make him miss his over-extended thrust. When facing a blade, distance is your friend.

One of the sayings you can sometimes hear is that someone holding a blade can erase up to 5 years of arts training on the part of the defender. Blades can CUT anything they reach, or that reaches for them.

Folding knives are tools. Like other folks, I own a lot of them. I choose them for many reasons. Some are better suited than others when it comes to the inherent balance, grip & extension characteristics I look for in tools that might be forced into use as defensive weapons ... considered against my own training, skillset, background & experience.

Since I travel to a couple other states, and even some jurisdictions in my home state that have some variable laws affecting folding knives (such as blade length), I also choose folders which would be suitable for carry in different areas, under different laws. Sometimes you may need to compromise due to the totality of the anticipated circumstances. (My retirement ID may cover my guns under LEOSA out-of-state, but I'm not interested in "pushing things" when it comes to lockblades and how other cops may look at their local statutes, policies and DA interpretations of things. )

Just like you used to see the original (and very affordable) Buck 110 in its distinctive black leather belt sheath on many folk's hips, nowadays you can see folder pocketclips on the mouth of pants pockets just about everywhere you look in public.

How many of those folks carry them as working tools ... and how many secretly think they're "armed" against violent attack just because they have some wicked looking folding knife?

Serious about learning what's involved in using a knife to defend against imminent threat of seriously bodily injury or death, and how to defend against a blade? Try to find some realistic training. Good luck with that, though.

Learn the relevant laws involved in carrying a lockblade folder in whatever area where you plan to carry one, too.

It's a tool, not a talisman.

BTW, your hand can slip even on a nicely shaped, rubber coated hammer or screwdriver handle, so your concern about slippery handle scales or shapes has merit.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 07-04-2013 at 12:47..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:50   #31
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
Knives are for cutting things, not as a go-to for defense unless you have no other option. I prefer bench made autos.
I disagree with your assertion. Don't go looking for "gun" answers to non-"gun" problems. The blade is as viable a defensive option as any other tool. One must consider defensive scenarios carefully and train appropriately.

I love how "gun" guys can bloviate for days on "9mm vs. .45", but never devote so much as a few hours a week to training the blade. It's a shame, really, to leave that portion of your fighting ability undeveloped.

Completely on topic, I really like the Spyderco Yojimbo II and P'Kal for folders, even through they have entirely different philosophies in design and application.
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 13:04   #32
heitzoflearning

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=60
Old 07-04-2013, 13:22   #33
deputy tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzoflearning View Post
^^ This or a less costly Matriarch from the same company. For something more utilitarian but still a viable last ditch SD knife the Endura works well. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cẹl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

Last edited by deputy tom; 07-04-2013 at 13:33..
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 13:26   #34
SGT HATRED

When I can't carry my pistol, I carry a matriarch II. Supposedly it was designed for undercover cops with minimal knife skills. It defiantly falls into the single purpose of defense only category...

The Cutting Edge
Old 07-04-2013, 13:28   #35
deputy tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
When I can't carry my pistol, I carry a matriarch II. Supposedly it was designed for undercover cops with minimal knife skills. It defiantly falls into the single purpose of defense only category...

The Cutting Edge
Bingo! tom.

ETA River City Sheaths makes a great kydex neck sheath for these. tom.

http://www.rivercitysheaths.com/ours.html

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cẹl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

Last edited by deputy tom; 07-04-2013 at 13:31..
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 13:47   #36
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

I like my spyderco manix 2 g10

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 07-05-2013, 05:57   #37
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

A gun problem is a gun problem. A knife problem is a box that needs to be opened. It is wise to know how to employ your knife in an alternate use, in case you find yourself faced with a gun problem when you don't have one. I love knives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoastmaster View Post
I disagree with your assertion. Don't go looking for "gun" answers to non-"gun" problems. The blade is as viable a defensive option as any other tool. One must consider defensive scenarios carefully and train appropriately.

I love how "gun" guys can bloviate for days on "9mm vs. .45", but never devote so much as a few hours a week to training the blade. It's a shame, really, to leave that portion of your fighting ability undeveloped.

Completely on topic, I really like the Spyderco Yojimbo II and P'Kal for folders, even through they have entirely different philosophies in design and application.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 07-05-2013 at 13:30..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 19:05   #38
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
Emerson Knives are touted as such.

Why not try out the production knife that started the tactical knife market?

A nice shiny CQC7

The Cutting Edge
I got a cqc-8 recently and wasn't impressed at all. Felt cheap and the liner lock did not inspire confidence. Also sucks they are only tapped for right handed carry. For $200 you can do a lot better. I would check out ZT or hinderer. Just got an xm-18 and its a badass knife. Look around blade forums.com they have a ton of good info and you can find good deals on blades in the used section. For work I carry a BM adamas auto and a waved zt 200 in front left pocket both are rock solid.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by SCSU74; 07-05-2013 at 19:11..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 19:16   #39
TCMod19
Save it.

KA-Bar TDI with the belt clip. The blade is already open, it can be used overhand or underhand. It's non-slip, sturdy, inexpensive and you do not want to be on the other end of it.
Old 07-05-2013, 19:38   #40
Eric2340
Infidel :)

I've got to be honest with you guys, after looking at several suggestions and a lot of what's out there, I'm honestly have a hard time finding anything I like more than my good old Cold Steel Voyage tanto. I hate to say that, and again there have been some EXCELLENT suggestions (thank you ) but none of them seem to fit my bill for one reason or another? :(

Another, while I DO appreciate AND understand the recommendations for training, I really am looking for just what is considered a "good" defensive folder in the knife world from all that is out there. You know the "Glock 19, G21, G30, 1911, Sig P226, HK USP, AK, M4, Rem 870 and 700" of the knife world - you know, the tried and true ones that pretty much are considered a universal "good knife" by all, or at least deeply respected for their qualities.

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2013, 00:53   #41
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMod19 View Post
KA-Bar TDI with the belt clip. The blade is already open, it can be used overhand or underhand. It's non-slip, sturdy, inexpensive and you do not want to be on the other end of it.
Very dangerous knife. Especially if worn unconcealed

Old 07-06-2013, 01:15   #42
Happy Hunting

I like the frame lock, assisted open, flipper ZTs- 301. I have a mini cqc-8 and that sucker opens faster than any auto or flipper, and I choose to carry the ZT because I like the look of it more. I would get a cqc-15 if I needed another Emerson, which I don't.

I have a knife on me a lot more often that I do a pistol and it feels good to have that in your pocket when something you observe makes your hairs stand up on the back of your neck (and you temporarily forfeit your right to carry due to the contents of your glass).

Dress knife- MT LUDT
Everyday- 90% ZT 301, 10% horseman
Outdoors- swamp rat ratmandu or backwoods custom

Happy Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:27   #43
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I like the Camillus Beast.

The Cutting Edge
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:17   #44
TCMod19
Save it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
Very dangerous knife. Especially if worn unconcealed

As opposed to what? Plastic dinner wear?
Old 07-06-2013, 15:50   #45
Badwolf75

A Spyderco P'kal.
Badwolf75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 16:43   #46
itstime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer's Match View Post
I've had two SOG folders - they are OK, but that's about it. IMHO there are much better options out there.

For you described "last option" use, nothing beats a wave deployment in my mind, and Emersons have the most "grip-able" handles of any that I've tried (other than the Rukus I mentioned earlier). Another benefit of the grip on the Journeyman and Commander (& the 8 series) that I suggested is the slightly "pointy" grip butt makes an excellent non-lethal striking weapon.

Journeyman
The Cutting Edge

Commander on far left
The Cutting Edge

Mini CQC-8 (Horseman) - I'd go with full size or Super for your purposes
The Cutting Edge

This saves me a lot of typing.

Keep in mind all hands are different sizes. What feels good to me may not for you.

Go to a large knife store. Play with a lot. Even if you have to travel a ways it'll save you in the end.

I like the Emerson 8. Maybe a Roadhouae but never handled one. Many food recommendations here. May work for them but not me. Same will apply to you.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:28   #47
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwolf75 View Post
A Spyderco P'kal.
Agreed. It seems to me that a lot of folks are not looking for martial blades, so much as utility blades that they can press into service in a pinch.
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 21:54   #48
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMod19 View Post
As opposed to what? Plastic dinner wear?
I don't even know how to respond to that? Tdi's have no retention and are easily recognized as a knife, bad combo in a fight

Old 07-13-2013, 12:46   #49
Baba Louie

Ritter Griptilian

http://www.knifeworks.com/dougritterrsk.aspx

Don't know diddly about using a knife for defensive purposes myself, but these are pretty good cutters for the price.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 16:04   #50
fjrdc

Emerson knives .......my EDC CQC7BW .... Nu'f said.!