SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:59   #1
TORCHRIDER
Wake Up America

Gen 3 barrel in Gen 4?

Guys, I know this has been beaten to death but I cannot find a satisfactory answer from someone who has actually verified it.

I have a Gen 3 G32 (.357) barrel that I want to use in my soon to arrive Gen 4 G23. Will this work?

I have heard:

1. Yes it will
2. No it wont
3. Glock says it wont but it will
4. The barrel has differences in the guide rod area but it will work
5. The barrel has differences in the guide rod area and it will not work

What is the real answer by someone who has been there and done that?
"Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14
TORCHRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 13:14   #2
Green Mountain Boy

IDK but this is interesting because I have considered buying various barrels for my gen 4s and would have thought it would work.

Regards, GMB

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 20:43   #3
TORCHRIDER
Wake Up America

Anyone?
"Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14
Old 07-11-2013, 21:02   #4
kodiakpb

Depends how old the gen 3 is. Recent production gen 3 barrels (as in barrels in gen 3 guns) are exactly the same as Gen 4 barrels. By this I mean the cut on the lug for the RSA is the same.

General Glocking
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 21:10   #5
TORCHRIDER
Wake Up America

Now that is great info. I will have to check my barrels. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 21:55   #6
TnShooter83

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
Depends how old the gen 3 is. Recent production gen 3 barrels (as in barrels in gen 3 guns) are exactly the same as Gen 4 barrels. By this I mean the cut on the lug for the RSA is the same.

General Glocking
It looks like the newer barrels have some type of markings on the rear lug? What is that? And could you go by those markings to differentiate the newer and older barrels?
TnShooter83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 22:30   #7
TORCHRIDER
Wake Up America

Turns out my .357 barrel looks like the old Gen. 3 in your photo. Does that mean I need to unload it and get a Gen. 4 or newer Gen. 3 barrel? Anybody know if it will work?

Quote:

General Glocking
Old 07-11-2013, 22:39   #8
hughiee

Gen 3 mid-2007 barrel production has the OLD smaller and rounder cut on the lug. I would recommend not switching out the barrels even on the newer Gen 3's.

Last edited by hughiee; 07-11-2013 at 22:41..
hughiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:48   #9
Glock40man

It will run just fine.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:42   #10
DocWills

They should drop in. Most of the confusion is on whether 3 rsa will fit 4th gen or vice versa. they don't.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:21   #11
crzn01
G23 Gen 4 (32)

Been using a Gen 3 G-32 barrel in my Gen 4 G-23 for a couple years now with no issue what so ever..........

Last edited by crzn01; 07-13-2013 at 15:22..
crzn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47   #12
Buckshot Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnShooter83 View Post
It looks like the newer barrels have some type of markings on the rear lug? What is that? And could you go by those markings to differentiate the newer and older barrels?
Thanks for the post. Just learned something.
Buckshot Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:55   #13
TORCHRIDER
Wake Up America

OK, all I have managed to do is get more confused. I am not always the sharpest knife in the drawer. I will try the older Gen. 3 barrel in the Gen. 4 and if it doesn't work I will let everyone know.
Old 07-12-2013, 17:24   #14
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
OK, all I have managed to do is get more confused. I am not always the sharpest knife in the drawer. I will try the older Gen. 3 barrel in the Gen. 4 and if it doesn't work I will let everyone know.
Don't forget that the RSA doesn't really "fit" in the cut, it only rests there till the slide is completely installed on the frame. It is a way to keep the spring put to make installation easier, not for functioning. In normal operation, the spring doesn't touch the barrel at all.
If you still think that you need to do something, you could take a fine file and work those two corners down a bit. I did it on one of my barrels just because I had nothing better to do, I used a thin shim to cover the vertical surface and when I was done I put a little cold blue on the filed tips.
I left my other Gen 3 barrels alone, they all work fine in my Gen 4 guns.
Old 07-12-2013, 18:06   #15
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

I have The following extra barrels, for my 23 Gen 3:
Lone Wolf 40-9 and Glock 32 Gen 3.
I contacted Lone Wolf Dist. and asked if these barrels would function, in a Gen 4 23.
The response was simply "YES".
There was no mention of whether or not they were "new" or "old" Gen 3 barrels.
Old 07-12-2013, 20:10   #16
Mike-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWills View Post
Most of the confusion is on whether 3 rsa will fit 4th gen or vice versa. they don't.
The RSA for a Gen 4 subcompact model is identical to the RSA for a Gen 3 version. Glock's part numbers for the RSA are the same for any generation of subcompact (only).
Mike-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 20:22   #17
Mike-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nraman View Post
Don't forget that the RSA doesn't really "fit" in the cut, it only rests there till the slide is completely installed on the frame. It is a way to keep the spring put to make installation easier, not for functioning. In normal operation, the spring doesn't touch the barrel at all.
That is exactly what makes the unnecessary worry about Gen 3 and Gen 4 barrel compatibility all nonsense. Glock's "will fit" info on the parts order form acknowledges no distinction between generations. One can not order a "Gen 4" barrel.

Quote:
If you still think that you need to do something, you could take a fine file and work those two corners down a bit.
That eliminates the surface hardening in that area that was established by the Tenifer process (still being applied to Austrian-made pistols). This is a low stress area, but still, corrosion resistance is degraded at those points.
Mike-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 20:39   #18
Made in Austria

Your gen4 Glock will run like a sewing machine with the old gen3 barrel. Source: called Glock about two years ago and asked if I could speak to an technician, the nice lady there said, yes of course now moment please. The technician then said that my gen4 will run just fine with a gen3 barrel in it.

I also asked him what the difference is between the two. He said that the half circle cut out on the barrel lug is shaped differently, but this does not affect reliability if you use a gen4 spring with a gen3 barrel, and that this is the only difference.
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:01   #19
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
Turns out my .357 barrel looks like the old Gen. 3 in your photo. Does that mean I need to unload it and get a Gen. 4 or newer Gen. 3 barrel? Anybody know if it will work?
They are the same. The assembly half circle is just
that. For assembly, not function.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:16   #20
Buckshot Barry

Quote:

General Glocking
Please share the serial number (letters only) of the "Gen 3 Recent" barrel. My Gen 3 TTLxxx Aug 2012 barrel looks to be the old style.

CORRECTION: After further examination, my TTLxxx barrel looks like the new style.

Last edited by Buckshot Barry; 07-13-2013 at 16:20..
Buckshot Barry is offline   Reply With Quote