SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-09-2013, 17:34   #21
srhoades

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite53 View Post
My machine is configured with a single, two partition, hard drive. C:\ is for operating system and program installation. Nothing gets saved to the C:\ drive.

D:\ is for all personal data. Everything gets saved to the D:\ drive. I've got D:\ configured with Yadis! to back-up real time to a second hard drive. I periodically (like most, not often enough) do a full imaging of C:\.

Having an OS/program drive and a separate data drive has worked well for me for years.

All the Best,
D. White
Those are only separate partitions and hence separate logical, not physical drives. If the drive fails you still lose everything on C and D.
Old 07-09-2013, 18:36   #22
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
Those are only separate partitions and hence separate logical, not physical drives. If the drive fails you still lose everything on C and D.
He probably realizes that. But keeping OS and data on separate partitions still has irrisputable(tm) advantages, even if the partitions are on the same physical drive.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12   #23
dwhite53

Quote:
Yeah, I realize that but, in times of having to re-install the OS (and we know that NEVER happens with Windows) all my personal data is secure on its own partition plus it's all backed up to the second hard drive.

In all honesty Windows reliability is much better than it used to be. Years ago when I could run Linux for everything I got spoiled on the rock solid reliability of Linux.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite53; 07-10-2013 at 08:14..
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 19:33   #24
Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
I know "fake" software RAIDs are laughed at in the IT community, but I have been happy with mine (4 drives in RAID10, Intel ICH10R). It had adequate speeds and no noticeable CPU load. The array properly rebuilt itself when I faked a drive failure.
Well, if you are happy with that, I think you've answered your own question!

Rather than spend money on a mobo that might cost more with a fancier, built in RAID controller, you could save that money and consider an SSD Blade PCIe card - more expensive than a normal SSD, but the performance is there for sure. But you don't need a big one - just something to house the OS and your applications.

You can use a separate "spinny" drive for your video editing, and then build a RAID array to use a dump site for your data, sync it up to make backups at various times when you're not using the machine, and such if you're really concerned about software RAID performance. (Though with modern processors, I don't think this is a big deal, especially not with a single array, or even two.)

Hardware solutions I think are the way to go with multiple large arrays but for the home user, or small business, software RAID gets the job done - slower, but cheaper, and in my opinion, more reliable.

Sure, people will argue with that, but as already mentioned - you can run into proprietary issues with hardware, and controllers can fail too, just like anything else.

I have a machine at my office that is supporting 4 x RAID 1 arrays (28TB/2 = 14TB mirrored), 2 internal sets (3TB@) and 2 external sets (4TB@), all SATA III scaled back to SATA I as that is the max the machine can support anyway, and it does just fine. ANY machine you get today will blow the doors off this 9-year old thing.
Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:51   #25
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Anybody ever wonder why 535 Congressmen can't come to an agreement?
Old 07-24-2013, 21:43   #26
srhoades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
Anybody ever wonder why 535 Congressmen can't come to an agreement?

Their brains are missing the parity bit.
Old 07-28-2013, 15:26   #27
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Scary stuff there. There is something fundamentally wrong about a RAID that does not report a dead array member.
I've been telling folks for years that no news is not necessarily good news.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 15:27   #28
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Their brains are missing.
Fixt-it-for-ya.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 19:44   #29
ND40oz

You can pick up OEM LSI based cards that are system pulls fairly cheaply. The IBM m5014 can be had fairly cheap and you can flash the stock LSI 9260 firmware onto it.

http://www.servethehome.com/flash-ib...608i-firmware/

Should be able to boot up its array on any 2108 or 2208 based card should you have the card fail.
ND40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:06   #30
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
You can pick up OEM LSI based cards that are system pulls fairly cheaply. The IBM m5014 can be had fairly cheap and you can flash the stock LSI 9260 firmware onto it.
Thanks for the tip, looks like you could save $100-$150 that way.

For now, I have settled for the "fake" Intel RAID10. Works fine for what I'm doing, and the price was right.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41   #31
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
If I were doing business on my computer, I'd probably get a 'real' raid controller.

That said, I've been running raid 1 controlled by motherboards on my home PC for years and it's never been an issue. I don't use it for a server or anything, I just like to have my data on two hard drives in case of a failure at some point between my weekly backups.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11   #32
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
If I were doing business on my computer, I'd probably get a 'real' raid controller.

That said, I've been running raid 1 controlled by motherboards on my home PC for years and it's never been an issue. I don't use it for a server or anything, I just like to have my data on two hard drives in case of a failure at some point between my weekly backups.

How do you set that up; in the BIOS, or does the motherboard come with a software utility you run from within Windows?

What other RAID formats do some MoBo's support?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:41   #33
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
How do you set that up; in the BIOS, or does the motherboard come with a software utility you run from within Windows?
There are two ways to create an array:
- in the RAID BIOS (if you are planning to install Windows onto the RAID drive);
- or using the Windows utility (if you already have Windows installed and running on a separate drive).

Installing Windows on the RAID drive (or even on a non-RAID drive on the same controller) can be tricky. In my last build I was not able to do it (Win7 x64 required signed drivers which Intel did not publish).

Quote:
From what I've seen, most RAID-enabled motherboards can do RAID0, 1, 10 and 5.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37   #34
srhoades

Even if the drivers are not signed you still should be able to use them. As long as you have them on a flash drive to point to during the install it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-30-2013, 13:24   #35
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Even if the drivers are not signed you still should be able to use them. As long as you have them on a flash drive to point to during the install it shouldn't be an issue.
Call me stupid, but I couldn't figure out how. The Windows setup just plain refused to use unsigned drivers, no matter how I tried.

No big deal really, since my OS is on a standalone SSD anyway. But I still do not understand why a company as big as Intel would not have signed drivers for their chips.
Old 07-30-2013, 15:26   #36
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post

It can typically be done in the OS or on the motherboard. I usually do it at the motherboard. Depends on the chipset on the motherboard but typically they will support 0/1/10 and sometimes 5.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04   #37
JimmyN

Quote:
No big deal really, since my OS is on a standalone SSD anyway. But I still do not understand why a company as big as Intel would not have signed drivers for their chips.
The Intel drivers are signed, the problem is the Windows installer frequently doesn't know a signed driver when it sees one. Once Windows is installed you can go into Device Manager>Storage Controllers>Driver and you'll see the driver is indeed digitally signed by Intel. The problem seems to be with Windows 7 installer not the driver.

Plus you have the fact that Win 7 64bit won't load an unsigned driver at boot (supposedly to prevent rootkits from being loaded during the boot process), so if the Intel driver wasn't signed you wouldn't be able to have RAID function at all since Win7 64bit would refuse to load it. The 32bit version of Win7 will load an unsigned driver when booting up.

If the motherboard chipset was on the market prior to your Win7 installation disk then Windows already has the correct Intel RAID driver and will install it, you won't have to do the "F6 - install additional driver". I'm currently working with the X79 chipset which is newer than Win7 so additional drivers need to be loaded, but I don't use the "F6" method. I use the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen to load the driver, as it seems to work better at forcing installation of the "unsigned" Intel driver.

If you want to boot from a RAID array there are several steps that must be taken in order to install Windows 7 on it.

1) Since you're going to boot from the RAID make sure your drives are plugged into the correct Intel SATA ports. Consult your MB manual. Disconnect any other drives until you get windows installed, you can add those later. DVD or CD drives are OK, but unplug any other hard drives.

2) Start the system, go into the BIOS and set the Intel controller into RAID mode, it will be in a default AHCI or IDE mode.

3) Save and exit the BIOS. When the system starts back up you'll see new screen text for the Intel RAID configuration, It may appear before or after the normal POST info, usually before. Press <CTRL> I to enter the configuration utility. Select your drives and the type of RAID you want to use (typically 0,1,5, or 10). If you miss this step you'll have the controller set for RAID, but no actual RAID array since you haven't told the controller which SATA ports (drives) to include in the array or the type of RAID you desire. This will result in an error message such as "no device found", driver installation failure, or the system may hang when you try to install the drivers.

4) Restart the system again and go back into the BIOS. Since you've assigned drives and the RAID mode you should now see the RAID listed in the storage/boot sections of the BIOS. Make sure you place it first for boot, or second if you want the CD/DVD as the first boot option.

5) Save and exit the BIOS and boot from the Windows installation disk. Choose the "Install Now" option and then a "Custom" install. After the license agreement the next screen up will be "Where do you want to install Windows". Your RAID won't be shown unless Windows already has the correct drivers, if so select it and proceed with the install, you won't need any additional drivers. Otherwise click on the "Load Driver" option and navigate to your RAID drivers, it works well to put them on a flash drive. After you load the drivers the RAID will show up in the "where to install" window as Disk 0 (check the unallocated size to make sure everything is correct). Select that "drive" and you can proceed with installation.

The flash drive needs to be formatted in FAT32. Copy the Intel RAID drivers to it, you'll only need the .inf and .sys files. Plug the flash drive into a USB 2.0 port. USB 3.0 won't work, and don't plug it into a USB external hub. The best location is a USB 2.0 port on the motherboards I/O panel in the rear. When you get the "unsigned drivers" notice tell it to install them anyway and your RAID array should then show up as "Disk 0 - Unallocated Space" in the "Where to install Windows screen". Select it and continue on with the install.

To get back on topic using the Intel controller is a "real" RAID, it's not a software RAID, and it will work very well. I use it for both RAID 0 and 1, and the speed is excellent. It uses a driver for interface with Windows but so does an add-on hardware RAID controller. Windows will only see the RAID array as a single drive, which is good as it's best to keep some things hidden from Windows so it can't mess it up.
Old 07-31-2013, 16:38   #38
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyN View Post
The Intel drivers are signed, the problem is the Windows installer frequently doesn't know a signed driver when it sees one.
So how do you convince the installer to use those drivers?

Quote:
5) Save and exit the BIOS and boot from the Windows installation disk. Choose the "Install Now" option and then a "Custom" install. After the license agreement the next screen up will be "Where do you want to install Windows". Your RAID won't be shown unless Windows already has the correct drivers, if so select it and proceed with the install, you won't need any additional drivers. Otherwise click on the "Load Driver" option and navigate to your RAID drivers, it works well to put them on a flash drive.
Here is where my show stops. I try to load the driver, and the installer says the driver is unsigned and "installing an unsigned x64 driver is not supported".
Old 07-31-2013, 18:05   #39
srhoades

Perhaps installing an earlier version of the driver that is signed and then once the system is up and running you can update the driver.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:03   #40
JimmyN

Sorry I'm late with a reply, I had some oral surgery so I was heavily medicated for a day. Maybe it was two days I'm not really sure at this point.

That method has worked for me, I've installed the Intel RAID drivers on 14 new system builds running Win7 64bit. I checked the files on the thumb drive and unfortunately I left out something in the above, you will also need the .cat files on the thumb drive, which are the actual certificates.

I used the Intel drivers provided on the motherboards setup disk and copied those to a flash drive, rather than downloading from Intel. Maybe that makes a difference, I checked this morning on two of the systems I have running here, and they are version 11.7.0.1013. I then checked Intel's site and the latest version is 12.5.0.1066.

I downloaded the 12.5.0.1066 drivers and extracted the zip to look at the certificate. Double click on the iaStorAC.cat file and the 'Security Catalog' window opens. Click on 'View Signature' and Windows says "This digital signature is OK". The issuer is "Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility PCA". So the drivers are actually signed by Microsoft, I don't know why the Windows 64bit installer always has a problem with them.

Last edited by JimmyN; 08-02-2013 at 06:04..
JimmyN is offline   Reply With Quote