SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-09-2013, 14:38   #21
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Kuhl View Post
Knowing the inevitable punishment the .357 magnum in a small package brings to your body and your senses, I've decided to part company with my SP101 forever.

Gotta jones for either a Shield, or, if I can scare up enough greenbacks, the XDs9. Those are more my speed. No more magnums for this old bird.

AK
I agree, AK, the recoil is harsh with many .357 rounds fired at paper. The beauty of these guns is the ability to practice with milder .38 specials.

Recoil probably won't be an issue when adrenaline is flowing (never noticed recoil from a hunting gun when a critter was in the sights). I just don't like the idea that my SP101, unlike S&W, requires a precise trigger reset before a second shot can be fired.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 15:17   #22
1canvas

for a house gun I would be looking at a 4'' barrel. I think there are better guns and calibers in that price range for a house gun. I wouldn't want to fire a .357 snub in a house.
Old 07-09-2013, 16:06   #23
PBRLite

I'd go for the GP100 3" over the SP101 3", especially for your intended purpose for the gun. A 3" GP100 with Lett style compact grips is an absolut workhouse, and shoots more like a 4". Carries well, and tames recoil more than the 3" SP101.

I've got the 2.25" and 3" SP, along with a 3", 4", and 6" GP100 and the 3" GP is my favorite of the bunch.

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

There's a great vid of Hickok45 putting one through it's paces on YouTube.
PBRLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 16:39   #24
Bruce M

No question that the SP101 is a very solid revolver. I like S&W triggers a bit better, but that is just me.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 18:39   #25
GlockFish
Floyd

I love shooting full power 357's out of my 2.25" SP101 with a Hogue rubber grip. I can shoot a hundred rounds in a session with no problem. I love the blast and fireball.

And anyone who says 357's out of a short barrel is a waste and is no better than 38's out of a short barrel is misinformed.

But a man needs to know his limitations. Some people aren't in to that much power, noise and blast in a revolver. And that's cool. Put 38+P's in it and you'll be able to control it better.

The SP101 isn't a lightweight revolver. It'll handle whatever you give it. It's also not a pocket gun, but excels as an IWB or small belt revolver.
or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list.
GlockFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 19:09   #26
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockFish View Post
I love shooting full power 357's out of my 2.25" SP101 with a Hogue rubber grip. I can shoot a hundred rounds in a session with no problem. I love the blast and fireball.

And anyone who says 357's out of a short barrel is a waste and is no better than 38's out of a short barrel is misinformed.

But a man needs to know his limitations. Some people aren't in to that much power, noise and blast in a revolver. And that's cool. Put 38+P's in it and you'll be able to control it better.

The SP101 isn't a lightweight revolver. It'll handle whatever you give it. It's also not a pocket gun, but excels as an IWB or small belt revolver.
I agree 100%. With Houge rubber grips it changes everything. I love CC'ing mine. I think it carries like a dream. I rarely shoot .38's out of any of my .357's as they don't cost much less. Occidental makes a GREAT carry rig for the SP101. This thing disappears and with a good belt (I use a Wilderness), it's almost forgotten about on the hip.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 19:46   #27
Doug S

I like my 3in SP101 very much. IMO it's a good multi-purpose handgun. Small enough for CCW, and big enough for HD. I think I paid right around $500 for mine in Feb of 2012. My brother-in-law is currently looking for one, and tells me they are hard to find at present, so if you found one at a decent price, grab it. General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having heard it. May God have mercy on your soul.

Last edited by Doug S; 07-09-2013 at 19:50..
Doug S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 19:50   #28
Restless28

Thanks for the help, my friends.

I'm bored with bottom feeders and I like what I know so far about the Ruger.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 22:25   #29
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
I like my 3in SP101 very much. IMO it's a good multi-purpose handgun. Small enough for CCW, and big enough for HD. I think I paid right around $500 for mine in Feb of 2012. My brother-in-law is currently looking for one, and tells me they are hard to find at present, so if you found one at a decent price, grab it. General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

The 3" version is awesome. Reminds me of my 3" S&W model 65, which is one of my favorites.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 22:32   #30
darkenfast

The late Stephen A. Camp (whose articles I definitely recommend), wrote a good review of the three-inch SP101. You might find browse his site for related articles on .357 ammunition in short barrels as well.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/R...1%20Report.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/OtherHandguns.htm
darkenfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:46   #31
DonD

Will say again that the Hogues work very well with one exception. Speedloaders hang up on the rubber. I normally carry a speed strip instead. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 13:37   #32
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

kind of want one, as a lighter, less bulky trail/camp gun
Old 07-10-2013, 14:24   #33
fastbolt

I was looking for the 3" model many years ago when I finally had to settle for a 2.25" DAO model.

Being a longtime revolver shooter (and I carried an issued .357 Magnum service revolver as a young cop), I thought the 5-shot SP101 was a pretty decent compromise gun. Heavier weight & caliber advantage over my older .38 Spl S&W M36 & 649 Bodyguard, and more "powerful" and rugged than my Charter Arms Bulldog 3" guns (blued & stainless, both of which went away due to functioning issues).

However, while mine has seen range use over the years, it sees much less carry usage than my collection of J-frames (2 of which are chambered in .357 Magnum, but mostly see +P used in them).

It's a dandy heavy little belt gun for a .357 Magnum, and the 3" barrel allows for some advantage in wringing some velocity out of the Magnum loads, but many folks seem to dislike the muzzle blast & torque effect when actually using full-power Magnum loads. I tend to use 125gr & 145gr loads, myself, but again, I'm a longtime Magnum revolver shooter.

I might still be interested in picking up a 3" model someday. If nothing else, it would still seem to be a viable compromise considering weight, capacity & barrel length when balanced against heavier 6-shot, 4" guns.

It's certainly a bit slimmer and lighter on the hip than similarly sized 6-shot snubs like the M19/66 & Speed-Sixes.

One of Ruger's better ideas ... and actual executions of an idea.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote