SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2013, 17:20   #1
Eric2340
Infidel :)

G30SF load?

I need a good, DEEP penetrating G30SF load - recommendations from actual test data / real world use?

Anyone know what the LAPD unit that requested the new G30S is using (figured they ought to have an idea better than anyone else since they requested the gun?)?

I've been running 200 gr +P Gold Dots in my G21SF and G21, not sure how they'll pan out in the shorter barrel (again, considering penetration here, want to get past the 12" mark in case of bones, arms, clothing, bad angle shots / whatnot ??) knowing there will be SOME velocity loss?

How about the short barrel Speer stuff? I know it's designed to open up at lower velocities from the shorter barrels, but how's it do on penetration?

My natural move world be to run with a 185 gr +P load, but I know that does not always apply to .45 ACP - I know the other end of the spectrum (230 gr loads) don't fair well either in under a 5" barrel, so what's going to give me deep penetration and larger expansion in the G30SF's shorter barrel?

The MAIN reason I went back to the G30SF was the recoil was easier on my hands than the .40 in either a G23 or 22 (I have developed arthritis in my right hand and the .40 kills me now after shooting it and my shooting is suffering from it vs. when I shoot the .45 - plus the G30SF's dual recoil spring will help too). Again, I HAD a G30SF two years ago, and then tried going back to the .40, only to find the .45 was easier on me.)

Really not sure what weight load to look at now, know enough to try a few in a given weight and see which I shoot best, but looking for a weight to start with first.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2013, 17:44   #2
1canvas

when I did my research after buying my G30sf this is what I came up with. for maximum expansion the 230grn HST, for max penetration using a hollowpoint the 200grn 7 petal +P Gold Dot. for a good combo of both the 230grn Gold Dot. I did a lot of reasearch and it was tuff cause most of the data used 5'' barrels so it took me a while looking for short barrel performance. with what I found with +P 230grn there wasn't much benefit concidering the added recoil for minimum speed gain. in the 200grn GD +P there is data on the old bullet and the newer 7 petal bullet. the new 7 petal opens more reliably in shorter barrels without over expanding and penetrates better than the old 200grn bullet.
Old 07-07-2013, 17:51   #3
lyodbraun

G30SF load?

If you want a round that performs everytime get the Barnes DPX solid copper bullets they are one of the best rounds that I've tested out of my G30SF..Caliber Corner

Last edited by lyodbraun; 12-29-2013 at 14:16..
lyodbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 18:02   #4
elde
Lifetime Membership

Yep. The Barnes copper bullet is the ticket in mid-short barreled .45's. Corbon uses it in their 185gr +p DPX.

Last edited by elde; 07-07-2013 at 18:02..
elde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 18:05   #5
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
If you want a round that performs everytime get the Barnes DPX solid copper bullets they are one of the best rounds that I've tested out of my G30SF..Caliber Corner
What weight have you been playing with?

Any kind of data from penetration in any kind of medium?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2013, 18:09   #6
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canvas View Post
when I did my research after buying my G30sf this is what I came up with. for maximum expansion the 230grn HST, for max penetration using a hollowpoint the 200grn 7 petal +P Gold Dot. for a good combo of both the 230grn Gold Dot. I did a lot of reasearch and it was tuff cause most of the data used 5'' barrels so it took me a while looking for short barrel performance. with what I found with +P 230grn there wasn't much benefit concidering the added recoil for minimum speed gain. in the 200grn GD +P there is data on the old bullet and the newer 7 petal bullet. the new 7 petal opens more reliably in shorter barrels without over expanding and penetrates better than the old 200grn bullet.

I was kind of hoping with the added popularity to the G30 it got in the past few years with the SF, and now all the newer Springfield models - there would start to be more and more short barreled data out there.

I'd be MORE than happy to know I can get away with one load between my G30SF and two G21s. Then the only added benefit would be trying to find some more of it.

Thanks -
Old 07-07-2013, 18:30   #7
lyodbraun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post
What weight have you been playing with?

Any kind of data from penetration in any kind of medium?

Thanks!
In the Barnes bullets in .45 the 185+p Is what I use and carry, and tested as for penetration they go thru 4 layers of denim into clear ballistics gel on average, around 13 7/8" to 14 1/4

I've put them through a stress test of 12 layers of denim and it was the only round to expand the 230gr HST,Ranger T, and 220gr Critical duty all failed to expand.. Even out of my G21... It's a very good round and passes FBI protocol ...
Old 07-07-2013, 18:32   #8
Eric2340

Factory loading??
Old 07-07-2013, 19:44   #9
lyodbraun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post
Factory loading??
Yes all factory rounds...
Old 07-08-2013, 03:48   #10
Eric2340

No, I meant which factory is offering these bullets in these loadings please? LOL
Old 07-08-2013, 04:27   #11
lyodbraun

Barnes TAC XPD, Corbon DPX, Double tap also has them...
Old 07-08-2013, 07:19   #12
whitey4311

I thought about a shorter gun needing a different ammo but am not so sure there is a significant enough loss for this to matter. I have the 230grn Gold Dots and a lot of them that I intend to use in my 30sf.

Anyone have a link to ballistics in shorter barrels. I remember seeing some but cant think of the name of that web site.
whitey4311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:27   #13
Eric2340

Tn Outdoors ( I forgot his member name here) had some testing of some loads on his You Tube site of the same loads in both a 5" Gov model and then in one of the newer, shorter Springfield models (around the barrel length of a G30 or so).

While NOT hard data or a large pool of it, what he did have showed a pretty good drop off in penetration more than anything else. I know at least one or two of the ones he tried in both were well past the 12" mark in the 5" gun, and then just below it or right at it in the shorter gun. :(

Again, NOT a lot of data there or really anything "lab scientific" wise, but enough to look at and at least make you think?

I'll look for the links later and post them, along with some comments he made to me when he and I discussed it via e-mail.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:30   #14
Arnold Kuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey4311 View Post
I thought about a shorter gun needing a different ammo but am not so sure there is a significant enough loss for this to matter. I have the 230grn Gold Dots and a lot of them that I intend to use in my 30sf.

Anyone have a link to ballistics in shorter barrels. I remember seeing some but cant think of the name of that web site.
I am interested in this data also. The only SD round I have is, would you believe (?), 185gr. +P Golden Sabers that are almost 20 years old! Yes, I know, it's high time to buy some new ammo for my 30SF (and 21SF), for HD/SD; but which one?

One GT member has suggested I buy what's on the shelf. This stuff, especially in .45ACP, is scarce as hens' teeth, at least in my habitat.

Regards,
AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:31   #15
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Run whatever the heck you like. You aren't losing much.

230 grain XTP
Winchester Brass
6.6 grains WSF
CCI 300 primer

G30 827 fps average
Sig P220 824 fps
5" Springfield TRP 856 fps
G21 876 fps
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 13:35   #16
whitey4311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Run whatever the heck you like. You aren't losing much.

230 grain XTP
Winchester Brass
6.6 grains WSF
CCI 300 primer

G30 827 fps average
Sig P220 824 fps
5" Springfield TRP 856 fps
G21 876 fps

I shoot competition and always ask those guys stuff like this. I am being told the same thing and actually a nice flat point bullet may even be best. I don't have any but it seems like a good choice vs a JHP. Still have penetration and no worry about expansion. The flat point will still have some punch to it and penetrate what it needs to like walks, glass, etc.
whitey4311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:30   #17
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
I shoot competition and always ask those guys stuff like this. I am being told the same thing and actually a nice flat point bullet may even be best. I don't have any but it seems like a good choice vs a JHP. Still have penetration and no worry about expansion. The flat point will still have some punch to it and penetrate what it needs to like walks, glass, etc.
I don't mind round nose flat point bullets at all. I like semi wadcutters a touch better for meat smacking and cutting a nice big clean hole, but good luck getting those to feed in a Glock.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 16:46   #18
ABNAK

I carry HST +P 230gr loads in my Glock 36. Spunky? Yep. However, it'll give mid-800's out of the 3.78" barrel and that is the usual standard pressure 230gr velocity when fired from a 5" 1911. I can live with that.

11C2P '83-'87
ABNAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 17:57   #19
cowboy1964

Quote:
I shoot competition and always ask those guys stuff like this. I am being told the same thing and actually a nice flat point bullet may even be best. I don't have any but it seems like a good choice vs a JHP. Still have penetration and no worry about expansion.
OVER penetration and a guarantee of NO expansion? No thanks.

As Ayoob points out over and over again, a good JHP will act as a flat point if it doesn't expand, and if it does expand will still give good enough penetration (at least if it's a good JHP). Best of both worlds.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 07-08-2013 at 18:00..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:16   #20
fredj338

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish or asking for. Obviously a solid is going to penetrate more than any JHP. If you want some exp max penetration, then the XTP line is exc. Their 200gr +P load will penetrate further than many 230gr JHP loads. In a shorter bbl, less vel = less expansion = slightly greater penetration, regardless of gun type.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote