Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 14:57   #1
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

3rd, yes 3rd, amendment case.....

http://politics.foxnews.mobi/quickPa...03.proteus.fma

Hopefully, that link works.

I hope this guy wins millions and jobs are lost.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:00   #2
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Yeah, this one's something to watch. One of these will work.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2013/07/05/...n-nevada-case/

http://now.msn.com/anthony-mitchell-...ent-violations

http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/07/03/59061.htm
Old 07-08-2013, 15:08   #3
ArtyGuy

While I don't agree with the arrest, I don't see how they are going to argue it is in violation of the 3rd Amendment. Police aren't Soldier-- it' my understanding the reason for the amendment was for something very different. It'll be interesting to see how the lawyer(s) argue it.

Last edited by ArtyGuy; 07-08-2013 at 15:10..
Old 07-08-2013, 15:09   #4
2bgop

Cop haters!!!!

Sorry, just wanted to get in before they shut you down.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:25   #5
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
While I don't agree with the arrest, I don't see how they are going to argue it is in violation of the 3rd Amendment. Police aren't Soldier-- it' my understanding the reason for the amendment was for something very different. It'll be interesting to see how the lawyer(s) argue it.
IMHO, they will argue that police = government = what the 3rd is about.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 07-08-2013, 15:31   #6
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Militarization of the police. Surplussed military equipment. More LEOs have military background. Rank structure. LE wear uniforms, including combat styled boots. Use of military terminology. DHS getting delivery of 2.7 billion rounds of small arms ammo since January 1 of this year. Expanded/common use of blue coloured roof lights on police cars indicating merger of UN practices (traditionally, U.S. LE/first reponders only used red and white lights).

Probably many more indicia that I missed.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 07-08-2013 at 15:36..
Old 07-08-2013, 15:35   #7
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Militarization of the police. Surplussed military equipment. More LEOs have military background. Rank structure. LE wear uniforms. Use of military terminology. DHS getting delivery of 2.7 billion rounds of small arms ammo since January 1 of this year. Expanded/common use of blue coloured roof lights on police cars indicative of adopting European/UN practices (traditionally, U.S. LE only used red and white lights).

Not going to weigh in on whether I think it's a good or bad thing, but there is a definite trend toward militarization of the police forces going on nationwide.

When I was a kid, cops most places looked basically like civilians in police uniforms and carried shotguns and revolvers. Now, as you said, most of them wear military haircuts and are issued AR's, and just about every department either has its own SWAT/SRT team or participates in a regional joint group.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Last edited by crazymoose; 07-08-2013 at 15:37..
Old 07-08-2013, 15:37   #8
Syclone0538

Breaking and entering, assault, and kidnapping under color of law?
Old 07-08-2013, 15:39   #9
PIMking
Im weird

Quote:
police are not soldiers but they're government employees...
Old 07-08-2013, 15:44   #10
kenpoprofessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
So what you're saying is they're civilians like everyone else ?

If they're not subject to the UCMJ, they are civilians, no matter what dictionary tell you they're not.

If there's a murder on base, they always say "Oh, we have to let the "civilian agency" do their job" .

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
Old 07-08-2013, 15:44   #11
Jose the carwash man

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
Not going to weigh in on whether I think it's a good or bad thing, but there is a definite trend toward militarization of the police forces going on nationwide.

When I was a kid, cops most places looked basically like civilians in police uniforms and carried shotguns and revolvers. Now, as you said, most of them wear military haircuts and are issued AR's, and just about every department either has its own SWAT/SRT team or participates in a regional joint group.
I think it is that and the "blue wall" that makes cops feel like they are a class above your average civilian. In most other countries the cops are part of the community first and foremost and *big shocker* actually more interested in the welfare of the people they serve when who get's the newest model of Taser or laser sight.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:48   #12
Jose the carwash man

I'll also say that if this story is true (and there are some red flags here) then the cops should all be criminally charged. This is one of the big downsides to cops not being liable for this stuff financially. They get to act like Judge Dredd and the city/county get's to pay out the multi-million dollar settlements.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:50   #13
Jose the carwash man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I have a Ranger friend who said the RoE for American SWAT teams is lower than what he had going on raids in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:50   #14
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post

I grew up in the 1970s and remember how cops looked back then. Bushy hair and hairy mustaches. And yes, I was like that too. Then in the 1980s I went with a rat tail! But that was stylish! Now I find crewcuts much more practical.

I do agree that U.S. LE has been forced to ramp up their equipment in response to many, many more BGs who are moving towards AK/AR rifles as their weapon of choice. I would not expect LEOs to go after long gun armed BGs with 6-shooters.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:52   #15
snorko
NRA Life Member

I've seen this posted several places and have yet to see anyone bring up the fifth amendment vs the third in this case. To me this appears to be a takings case where the use of the property was taken by the Gov w/o just compensation or due process.
Old 07-08-2013, 16:00   #16
ArtyGuy

Quote:
Militarization of the police. Surplussed military equipment. More LEOs have military background. Rank structure. LE wear uniforms, including combat styled boots. Use of military terminology. DHS getting delivery of 2.7 billion rounds of small arms ammo since January 1 of this year. Expanded/common use of blue coloured roof lights on police cars indicating merger of UN practices (traditionally, U.S. LE/first reponders only used red and white lights).

Way back in the late 80s and early 90s when I was studying criminal justice in college, we examined the paramilitary structure of police forces-- it is nothing new. However, I don't see that being a successful legal argument. You can argue anything but it needs to be a good argument if you wish to be successful in court.

We didn't discuss the 3rd Amendment very much in Criminal or Cnstitutional Law because it was written based upon the fact British Soldiers forced owners to quarter them and there were not any court cases that changed the way things are done.-- it is rarely challenged.

To me, they key word is Soldiers. Police are not Soldiers. The military falls under Title 10 of the US government. Local police do not, State police do not, the FBI does not, the DHS does not, and the DoS does not. They all have different stipulations. I mention that because I would think showing the distinction can be the counter argument. The amendment was written to address Soldiers and there are legal definitions of what a Soldier (military) is. The fact that the arresting officers have military style rank and/or weapons does not magically give them military authorities.

(I'm to going to touch the DHS or UN practices because they have nothing to do with this).
Old 07-08-2013, 16:04   #17
ArtyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose the carwash man View Post
I have a Ranger friend who said the RoE for American SWAT teams is lower than what he had going on raids in Afghanistan and Iraq.
I'm active duty Army with experience in both theaters doing raids. Your friend is mistaken or you misunderstood him. I would offer that SWAT teams would love to have the freedom we did. Nothing stopped us from hog tying folks, detaining them, etc. We weren't dealing with folks that had rights anywhere close to what John and Jane Q. Public have.
Old 07-08-2013, 16:05   #18
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
I think it is that and the "blue wall" that makes cops feel like they are a class above your average civilian. In most other countries the cops are part of the community first and foremost and *big shocker* actually more interested in the welfare of the people they serve when who get's the newest model of Taser or laser sight.
I don't know if I'd go that far. There are a whole lot of places in the world where the police are basically thugs that get to do more or less what they want, including extortion, beating, etc. A lot of Asian, African, South American, and former Soviet countries fall into this category.

The "Blue Wall"/fraternity mentality is a legitimate thing that happens here, but it's pretty much guaranteed to happen to some degree or another. You have to factor in personality traits that are common in many police officers (very clear-cut, moralistic world view), and the fact that they are at odds with many or most of the people they interact with on a daily basis. They may not be exchanging gunfire or fists with every person they run into, but they deal with plenty of people in an average shift who aren't exactly happy to see them. These things are bound to foster an "us vs. them" mentality to some degree, but for the most part, it's pretty well controlled in this country. My biggest concerns with police in America are policy/administration/tactics oriented, and do not stem from the officers themselves.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Last edited by crazymoose; 07-08-2013 at 16:08..
Old 07-08-2013, 16:06   #19
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Isn't anyone wondering why they are going this type without mention of a 1983 suit?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 07-08-2013, 16:07   #20
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
I'll also say that if this story is true (and there are some red flags here) then the cops should all be criminally charged. This is one of the big downsides to cops not being liable for this stuff financially. They get to act like Judge Dredd and the city/county get's to pay out the multi-million dollar settlements.
I'm curious, if the red flags should prove true, and the plaintiff lied or greatly exaggerated, what the appropriate punishment for the plaintiff should be?

Old 07-08-2013, 16:33   #21
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
I do agree that U.S. LE has been forced to ramp up their equipment in response to many, many more BGs who are moving towards AK/AR rifles as their weapon of choice.

bullcrap.
Old 07-08-2013, 16:38   #22
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
I'm curious, if the red flags should prove true, and the plaintiff lied or greatly exaggerated, what the appropriate punishment for the plaintiff should be?
Keelhauling

Old 07-08-2013, 16:39   #23
Jose the carwash man

Quote:
Depends on how much they are lying. I am not sure about this particular court but I wanna say the loser pays the winners legal fees in federal civil cases.

I posted a video from a 4th of July DUI checkpoint and it wouldn't shock me in the least to see those cops do something like mentioned in this case. They are audio recorded off camera berating the subject about how his "rights" don't mean spit to them.
Old 07-08-2013, 17:27   #24
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Isn't anyone wondering why they are going this type without mention of a 1983 suit?

Good question. I know the answer and it points to why this may be BS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 07-08-2013, 17:42   #25
boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
bullcrap.
How do you figure? Maybe not everywhere but that's certainly the case in my little piece of paradise.
Closed Thread