GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:12   #341
newgene

Ammo supply has changed drastically in just the last 6 weeks. I'm thinking we are getting close to seeing an end to this. The ammo at Academy and wal-mart is lasting into the next day, which has been unheard of all year.

I think it will be all over for the most part in a few months with the exception of maybe a few calibers. 22LR will hold out until the bitter end.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13   #342
newgene

BTW, gun stores are close to fully stocked now. Of course, 22LR is the ugly duckling of the bunch.
Old 07-03-2013, 16:24   #343
rockymtnhorror

I'm starting to see some components-powder and primers-on the shelves. Ammo is still pretty problematic unless you shoot .17HMR, pricey .30-06, or .300WSM.
rockymtnhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 19:28   #344
tenforme

Officially over

I'm calling the ammo shortage officially over.

I just picked up 250 rounds of 10mm 180grn JHP online for $95 - that's 38c/round

FWIW - I really don't understand why anybody goes to a store to buy ammo at all. Its much easier to buy on-line and get it delivered Even better it cuts the hoarder/reseller/scalper out of the equation.

Last edited by tenforme; 07-03-2013 at 19:33..
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 19:36   #345
Speleothem

To me, it'll be over when Wal Mart has
something other than shotshells on the shelf.
Speleothem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 19:44   #346
newgene

Walked in Academy today and they had about 40 boxes of American Eagle 223 gray tipped 50 gn varmit for $12.99/box. I didn't feel like even buying my allotted single box. I'm still waiting to load up on federal or remington 223 fmj when all this slows down. I like the stuff that's about 35 cents/round.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:29   #347
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamDahl View Post
I think I'm set until we get that illegal squatter out of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Too bad the Secret Service agents did not take an oath to defend the Constitution like those of us in the military did. All they are doing is *enabling* treason.
What would you like the SS to do, exactly?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:31   #348
berfles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenforme View Post

I just picked up 250 rounds of 10mm 180grn JHP online for $95 - that's 38c/round

FWIW - I really don't understand why anybody goes to a store to buy ammo at all. Its much easier to buy on-line and get it delivered Even better it cuts the hoarder/reseller/scalper out of the equation.
I see JHPs all over online, I'm looking for target ammo, so if you have a web site that sells cheap range ammo go ahead and let me know, otherwise it's hardly "over".

Pretty soon I'm just going to the range and paying whatever they want, not shooting since November is just getting ****ing ridiculous.

Last edited by berfles; 07-06-2013 at 19:32..
berfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:38   #349
Michael Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenforme View Post

Just curious, but what brand of 10mm ammo was that?

That is an insanely good price.
Michael Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:34   #350
tremor64

transported wife to Walmart - wandered by sporting goods as per routine - a few boxes of .243, 30.06, etc. - 2 boxes on a shelf by themselves - 100 rnds of WWB .45 ACP! - split 'em with the other amazed guy next to me and wandered off with a smile on my face
tremor64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28   #351
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

i was just on armslist and people are asking way less for their ammo actually most are at walmart prices. In my area all walmarts are empty but maybe this is a sign that all the hoarders are tired of holding onto ammo they didnt need in the first place.
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:37   #352
amorican88

9mm & .22lr seem to be coming back around. I have seen it pop up on several ammo websites I frequent. Wal-mart shelves here in central Iowa are still pretty bare, though.

I think the panic has ended. What we are seeing now is people who were caught with less than desired amounts on 9mm & .22lr still buying so not to be caught flat footed again. Not sure anyone saw the mass shortage of .22lr coming.

By the end of this year, things should be pretty much back to normal. I hope so anyway. I have about 10k .22lr and will be looking to double that.

NRA & Iowa Firearms Coalition Member
amorican88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:37   #353
Cirdan

Seems to me the worst is over. Only 22LR is still a problem (availability) where I am.
Windham SRC
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:54   #354
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
i was just on armslist and people are asking way less for their ammo actually most are at walmart prices. In my area all walmarts are empty but maybe this is a sign that all the hoarders are tired of holding onto ammo they didnt need in the first place.
I think all this name calling is getting out of control.

You aren't using using the appropriate name in this instance.

"Hoarders" don't sell their ammo on Armslist. Ever.

You are probably a "hoarder", actually, assuming you never sell any of your ammo. That seems to be the commonly accepted definition.

If you do sell some of your ammo, and you don't sell it at or below what you paid, you are a gouger.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 07-07-2013 at 10:55..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:10   #355
Cirdan

So we've been reduced to acting like Bill Clinton and arguing over definitions of "is?"

I am a "hoarder" in that I'm have over 1,000 rounds in inventory. If I could be assured of being able to stop at a store on the way to the range and buying reasonably priced ammo, my inventory would be very small. However, I fully intend to shoot every one of those rounds myself, out of my own guns.

A "speculator" or "gouger" would be buying cheap and trying to sucker people into paying more. Either over the internet or at gun shows. From what I'm experiencing in my area, LGS and even big box local stores are now closer to "reasonable" prices, while the internet sites like cheaperthandirt and ******** are charging much less. So does MidwayUSA, but they hide it in the shipping costs, not the actual price.
Windham SRC
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:12   #356
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

When do you see the ammo shortage loosening up?

I think the term hoarder is being misused in this thread. If anything I believe it would be more correct to say profiteer if you are looking for a stone to cast.

I am an ammo hoarder.

I buy a lot of ammo and I hoard it up. I do not sell it. I don't think there is anything wrong with this. I have been hoarding ammo for a number of years so that if anything dumb happened or there was a big price spike I would have it.

After the current hoopla goes away, and people's credit cards are tapped out, I will still buy and "hoard" ammo. I might even start hoarding reloading components. So you reloaders better watch out, things are about to get much tighter. Buy up primers while you can before I enter the market and drive the price up.

I hope people learned from this. If having ammo is important to you because you need it for hunting, getting food, self defense, you train a certain amount each week, or you just want to plink for fun without the aggravation of finding bare shelves, then stock up from now on so you don't get caught short again. Invest in reloading tools and components. Get bullet dies. Have a firearm or two, or drop in barrels you can shoot with lead, etc.

Before all this crap went on it would have taken less than $20 a month to buy 500 rounds of .22 each month for a stash of 6000 rounds in one year. Or for the same money you could have had 1000 rounds of 9mm set aside for example. You could also have had 20 PMAGs or 10 Glock mags. I'm sure almost everyone passes through a Walmart or their local gun store at least once a month. Put it on the shopping list. $20 a month isn't much and I'm sure if you're like most of us you probably fritter away at least that much each month on coffee and gum.

I'm sure prices will come down to whatever degree and when they do, as you are able to afford to do so, put a little cash into building up a stash set aside of ammo, mags and common parts. A little food and water set aside wouldn't hurt either.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 07-07-2013 at 12:16..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 14:29   #357
attrapereves

HKLovingIT, I completely agree with you. We are in this mess because people did not hoard ammo. A lot of casual shooters treat ammo like they treat groceries: Buy weekly/daily, use it up, then buy again when you need it next. It's amazing to think that people own guns, yet have no ammo on hand.

I got in the habit of picking up a 555 round box of 22LR every time I went to Walmart. I reload centerfire calibers (except for my surplus AK ammo) and have enough bullets, brass, primers, and powder to last me a while.

$20-50 dollars a month on ammo or shooting supplies (about how much I was spending before the panic) is much easier on the wallet then trying to buy ammo at today's prices.

I haven't bought ammo or supplies since the panic, but you can bet your butt I will continue to buy ammo at a regular rate when prices come down.
Old 07-07-2013, 14:55   #358
Speleothem

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
HKLovingIT, I completely agree with you. We are in this mess because people did not hoard ammo. A lot of casual shooters treat ammo like they treat groceries: Buy weekly/daily, use it up, then buy again when you need it next. It's amazing to think that people own guns, yet have no ammo on hand.

Yeah, I got caught with very low stock by the current crisis.
I'll never again have less than 2000 each of .45 and 9mm.
Speleothem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:48   #359
JabbaNoBother

I buy ammo, I shoot ammo. I don't hoard ammo, I have less than 1K rounds at the moment. Am I panicking? Far from it. Do I currently have enough ammo for my current firearms? That's in the eye of the beholder. Yes ammo is becoming more readily available...was at lgs this Saturday in northeast PA and saw tons 40, 9, 22, 45. Decent prices and I did not touch any of it. I went for one thing, 308. I got my pack a 50 count and called it a day. Sure...I could have gotten probably 300 rnds easily of the others, but I didn't. Doesn't make me better or worse off than other customers...its just how I am.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20   #360
08Dawg

Bass Pro had a TON of .40 last night. At least a dozen 50rd boxes of WWB on the shelves, and several (didn't get a good luck, but many, many!) 100rd WWB and 250rd Rem. UMC boxes. Also saw a good deal of 9mil 250rd UMC boxes as well. Even saw Rem. Golden Sabre sitting on the shelves! 9mil and .38 at least. Is the ammo shortage finally over?
08Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote