Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2013, 23:09   #1
chrisbritt15

New Hire!!!

So as the subject of the post, you may know what this will be about. Last year I put my application in for my local fire department. At the time of applying there was only three positions available. So after showing up for my entrance exam last September with 220 people applying, I thought It would be a long shot. But as time passed the crowd dropped to 50 then 32 then 16 and then...... This morning I got a call from there HR department offering me a job. Obviously I accepted the offer. As a new recruit I was wondering if I may have some advice from some of the experienced Firemen or EMT's. Thank you for time and your service, and I do apologize for the long winded message.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
chrisbritt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:24   #2
huskerbuttons

My advice:
Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut.
Remember you are there to take care of people, there's a reason it's called the Fire SERVICE or Emergency Medical SERVICE.
Stay fit, eat right, wear your protective gear.
Train, train and train. It all comes back to training.
Keep up on "Best Practices".
Don't get involved with some skank who will, A- get you fired, or B- take your pension.
Keep up on your certifications, don't let them expire.
Be safe and have fun. That's the only way to make it to retirement.
huskerbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 15:35   #3
fyrediver

Congratulations!

Now for the hard part: I second Huskerbutton's comments but have some additions.

DON'T get an ego; you (and we) are there to serve which is sometimes lost on some of our compatriots. It's a great job and sometimes people get lost in the public adoration given to us. Be humble and serve well.

However, remember that your personal experiences and knowledge are valuable and that's one of the reasons you were hired. Just be judicious in how you convey that knowledge as there are some inflated egos in the fire service. Be aware of your surroundings and let the people around you know what you're seeing.

The Pang Warehouse fire in Seattle which claimed four lives is a prime example of what I'm talking about. The new guy kept his mouth shut when he saw smoke under pressure coming out of cracks in the sidewalk. He assumed that his crew saw it too and weren't alarmed. Unfortunately it was the result of a basement fire that they didn't know about. When they went in, the floor collapsed, and they died.

Wear all your PPE ALL the time. Cancer sucks and you don't want it. Norovirus sucks and you don't want it. HepB and HIV suck and you don't want them. Being blind, . . . well you get the picture.

Congratulations again! Have a great career!
fyrediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:41   #4
bmoore

Congrats on your new career. Work hard, don't talk much. Go to paramedic school, there is no room in the modern fire service for EMT-B's.
Old 07-04-2013, 19:24   #5
DGreno
Silver Membership
FF/Paramedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
...there is no room in the modern fire service for EMT-B's.
What? With all due respect, I'd like to know where you work that such an assanine statement applies.

OP, there is some good info above my post. Although I am a firefighter/paramedic, I have spent the majority of my career as a firefighter/EMT. There is nothing wrong with an EMT-B. We all have our place in the grand scheme of public service.

Pay attention, learn all you can, study, study, and study some more. This does not end once you finish the academy/recruit school. You really need to keep up with new techniques and practices as well as your departments SOP's/SOG's. Medical protocols (when applicable) and your departments expectations of you are critical to know and understand. Learn from older guys and, above all, have respect and know you are the new guy. Many wont show you respect or take you seriously until you prove yourself. In recruit school you learn the basics. You learn how it's really done in your station and on the street.
Old 07-04-2013, 22:45   #6
BC Dan

Be early. Be first to take on a job, last to sit down.

Listen to your officer. If you don't know something, tell them you don't know. Don't pretend you know something you don't, that will catch you big time and prove you to be less than reliable or honest.

NEVER say "That's not the way we did it where I came from." My stock answer to that is "then go back there."

Don't gripe or complain. Try to be positive, you will have plenty of time to become negative when you hit the 20 year mark

Remember, you don't have an opinion until AFTER you are off probation!

Congrats and welcome to the brotherhood!
Old 07-04-2013, 23:39   #7
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreno View Post
What? With all due respect, I'd like to know where you work that such an assanine statement applies.

Southern California. Maybe it is a different culture but we have not even hired non medics since 1995. Every single one of our apparatus is ALS (Engine, Truck, Rescue, ambulances, Brush rigs, even our patrol vehicle is ALS. Like any FD, we run 80% medical calls. No sense in not furthering your education and becoming better at what we do the most.

Last edited by bmoore; 07-05-2013 at 00:44..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:05   #8
DGreno
Silver Membership
FF/Paramedic

Quote:
...No sense in not furthering your education and becoming better at what we do the most.
I absolutely agree. I just find it strange that a department may not see the value in an EMT-B or AEMT/EMT-I rather than solely paramedics. From an administrative standpoint, having EMT's (in addition to paramedics) makes sense but that's a discussion for another thread.

OP, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. Stay safe and pay attention.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:53   #9
chrisbritt15

I do greatly appreciate all the feedback that everyone has provided me with. I thank you for all the thought out post instead of something short and pointless. I really do appreciate it.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:29   #10
bmoore

Now go make some coffee probie!!! This is good also
http://fireopsonline.com/wp-content/...nd-Do-2012.pdf

Last edited by bmoore; 07-05-2013 at 11:34..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 17:30   #11
chrisbritt15

Quote:
Now go make some coffee probie!!! This is good also
http://fireopsonline.com/wp-content/...nd-Do-2012.pdf
Wow that was a great article I greatly appreciate that!

Old 07-05-2013, 19:10   #12
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbritt15 View Post
Wow that was a great article I greatly appreciate that!

No sweat. We had a list floating around our station somewhere but the link I gave you is basically the same thing. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2013, 20:01   #13
NDCent
Socially Inept

Safety & Integrity. Congrats on your new position.
Old 07-07-2013, 17:31   #14
fyrediver

Don't be this guy:
fyrediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 17:41   #15
seagravedriver

Make sure the coffee pot is always full. Last to bed, first up in the morning. If you are a bit slower then the rest getting up for a call, do what I did, sleep dressed. (One can do anything for a year)! You are there to learn, not to offer your opinion. As Fyrediver said, do not get an ego, keep the stickers to a minimum on your car/truck, and there is more to life than your job. The Mary Pang fire is a good example of keeping your mouth shut at the wrong time. Us folks that have been doing it for YEARS miss something all the time. It is usually the little things, but I don't mind being corrected or learning something new. Just do it with respect and humbleness. But if something does not look right, it may not be. Presentation is everything. What state are you in??
seagravedriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 23:45   #16
chrisbritt15

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagravedriver View Post
Make sure the coffee pot is always full. Last to bed, first up in the morning. If you are a bit slower then the rest getting up for a call, do what I did, sleep dressed. (One can do anything for a year)! You are there to learn, not to offer your opinion. As Fyrediver said, do not get an ego, keep the stickers to a minimum on your car/truck, and there is more to life than your job. The Mary Pang fire is a good example of keeping your mouth shut at the wrong time. Us folks that have been doing it for YEARS miss something all the time. It is usually the little things, but I don't mind being corrected or learning something new. Just do it with respect and humbleness. But if something does not look right, it may not be. Presentation is everything. What state are you in??
I currently live in the state of Kentucky for quite some time now.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:59   #17
modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbuttons View Post
Don't get involved with some skank who will, A- get you fired, or B- take your pension.
The most important advice on this thread. Trust me :-/
modeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 22:11   #18
chazz1975

Send a message via Yahoo to chazz1975
always remember...

Keep in mind all others that put on the same patch, be they public or private. We all do the same job. Don't get the arrogant "fire god" attitude. Just because the other guy may not belong to your fire union, it doesn't make him or her a "scab" or "gomer slinger".
chazz1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:39   #19
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbritt15 View Post
I currently live in the state of Kentucky for quite some time now.
What part, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Louisville.

<-----not a firefighter, EMT, or anything resembling one. Just a CO.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:48   #20
chrisbritt15

Bowling green