GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2013, 16:39   #21
Tiro Fijo

Fastbolt, what lube are you using? I ask as many people use crap such as Remoil or Breakfree, the latter dropped by the Military as the formula has been changed more times than Joan Rivers' face.

I have had superb luck with the both regular old G96 & their new CLP. MPRO7 LPX works great as does Weapon Shield. These newer synthetic ester lubes work like a dream.
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 21:21   #22
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Fastbolt, what lube are you using? I ask as many people use crap such as Remoil or Breakfree, the latter dropped by the Military as the formula has been changed more times than Joan Rivers' face.

I have had superb luck with the both regular old G96 & their new CLP. MPRO7 LPX works great as does Weapon Shield. These newer synthetic ester lubes work like a dream.
The oil-type lubes I mostly use are either FP10 (gift) or Militec-1 (because I split a case of it with another instructor back when it was just being released, and was rather inexpensive).

I'll use Breakfree (commercial formulation) for quick & dirty short term cleaning & lube if I'm not at my own bench or have one of my armorer kits along with me.

I've got some Weapon Shield sitting somewhere.

I use a couple greases, as well.

Just depends.

I keep meaning to pick up a tin (or bottle) of Eezox again someday, as I had decent luck with a can I bought when it was first released.

I'm not averse to trying much of whatever might be new for T&E on the bench at my former agency's range ... depending. They're always trying new stuff.

I keep a very old can of RemOil around for door hinges (if I can't find the WD-40), but I don't have much use for it, otherwise.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:00   #23
WiskyT
Malcontent

Regarding bullets telescoping out of the case, IIRC, my 442 manual warned about it, so I think it is wise to test for it even with the heavier Jframes. I never experienced any personally, but I shot mostly handloaded 158's at 850fps with a strong roll crimp.

Also, I would test my Jframe with any ammo I carried it with including any given box of that ammo. Changes in brass thickness, anealing, bullet diameter, crimp, bullet alloy etc can be different from different production runs.

And, I tested mine with more than 4 shots. I would shoot four shots and check the fifth. Then, I would load four more and shoot them with the same fifth round as a test. I never found any that pulled on the second test, but I think it just adds a little margin of safety. This isn't based on ay type of scientific approach, it is simply a way of backyard doubling the severity of the test.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:26   #24
WiskyT
Malcontent

I just read the linked article. I urge everyone to read everything written by Ed Harris. If you aren't familiar with him, he has an engineering background and worked for several gun and ammunition companies and I think the DoD developing and improving guns and ammo. He knows what he is talking about.

Note that he advocates for a full power wadcutter. Target WC loads through snubs are often miserable in terms of accuracy. Depending on the snub they are fired out of, they often tumble in flight due to low velocity and are wildly innaccurate at even 10 yards. A member of my club who is a good shot was having a terrible day shooting his 642 and some target WC's. He could barely keep them on a paper target at 10 yards. I shot the gun and had the same problem. We shot the WC's out of my 4" GP100 and we were both shooting great groups. We then shot some 158LRN I had loaded with 3.5 Bullseye out of his 642 and they shot great for both of us. The difference? About 100 fps or so was the difference between getting hits and misses.

If you are going to carry WC in your snub, load them to the max charge on the data sheet. Note thant hollow base WC's have lower max loads than solid base WC's because the hollow base gets damaged from max loads. If you are loading them yourself, discern the data for the type of WC you are using. Choose solid WC bullets like "double ended" or "bevel base" as Mr. Harris did if you have a choice since these can be loaded to just a bit more velocity.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 19:54   #25
bac1023

Thanks for the link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote