Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-29-2013, 19:13   #1
Buckeye 7x57

Hardcast from Buffalo Bore

Buffalo Bore makes a hardcast 200 grain standard pressure .40 load for "woods carry". Anybody here think it's ok to shoot a few of these through a stock Glock barrel? I'm a little apprehensive about it.

Ron
Buckeye 7x57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 19:19   #2
bac1023

From what I understand, accuracy really suffers with the stock barrel shooting hardcast ammo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 19:45   #3
PattonT

I have shoot about 500 hard cast lead through my G23 factory barrel. No signs of fouling and still fairly accurate. Btw, Buffalo Bore ammo (9mm HP +p+) has been the worst performing ammo I have ever tested. Any shots beyond 15yrds were off paper. Also very dirty.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45   #4
F106 Fan

This is the Internet, nothing you read has any basis in reality.

Buy a box, not a case, and shoot some. I reload hardcast bullets for my G21SF and G36 and I have no problems whatsoever.

I can't say much about accuracy. I can blow the 10 ring out of a 7 yard target but pretty soon the group opens up because there is nothing to shoot at. I can also pull a shot 3" in any direction - it's pretty easy!. I can't say anything about 25 yards or longer because I just don't shoot that far.

So, try them for yourself. Form your own opinion.

Richard
Old 07-01-2013, 14:29   #5
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye 7x57 View Post
Buffalo Bore makes a hardcast 200 grain standard pressure .40 load for "woods carry". Anybody here think it's ok to shoot a few of these through a stock Glock barrel? I'm a little apprehensive about it.

Ron
If it matters to you, the Glock Armorer's manual states that firing non-jacketed (lead) ammunition will void the warranty.
Old 07-01-2013, 15:01   #6
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

For 14 years, I have fired "tens of thoudands" of rds out here on the ranch, of HC bullets (that I loaded) through all types, and calibers of "Stock Glock" barrels. Never ONE issue, from mild loads to very hot loads.

BB makes a good product, and their lead is well suited for good accuracy and down range impact on target. BUT, I am only familiar with the fact that BB makes a 220gr HC bullet. I would not sugget a 220gr HC any body's bullet, in G20, with any barrel. 220gr HC are just not good performers in a G20. Loooong story amigo, but In all my experience with them, they are just poor performers, feeding, and accuracy, (staying stable in flight).

Some folks have really good performance with them... You might as well. I just have not, So, I have stuck with 200gr max weight for the 10mm auto.

I would suggest you find a good quaity 200gr HC. If ya can't find that....

If I were you, I would go with BB's 200gr FMJ FP, over the 220gr HC. Then you are far more assured of good feeding, and they will still work well with that big flat Meplat, (nose)

I normally would not suggest a FMJ, but in this case, with that large meplat, I would not fear using them at all for close up woods work, but i do not suggest use on bears with them, or with a 10mm period.

If ya load your own, I would rather use Beartooth, and Suggest those, and Hunters Supply, in this order, first on the list, for the 10mm, and 45auto, for price and an even "Better" quality bullet.

Again, if you use a HC bullet of 18/21 BHN, (hardness) (beartooth bullets is probably my 'very favorite' and at (20/21bhn, 200gr) you will be fine.

I have fired tons (so to speak) of 200gr BT HC bullets through the G20/29 for years, and the G30/36, 23/17, man, on and on.

I have never once, and thousands of rds, had one single issue with BT, or Hunters Supply, in a 'stock Glock" barrel.

Most all my problems have happened with after market barrels, which are no more accurate than the AM barrel from all my experience with them.

I bought AM barrels for a while and kept one, because it allowed for longer brass life in my G20. Other than that 'one reason', there was nothing to write home about.

At 100yds, my "stock' G20 barrel with my own load of 200gr BT HC bullet and 10.5grs Blue Dot, cleany took a lung shot Texas deer just fine, and passed through both sides. Lots o' blood!

Man, get a good bullet, like BT, or HS, and go on and don't worry. I have had several some G20's and G29's and G30's etc, ALL shot "fine" with the 200gr BT in the .40cal, and the 45cal shot fine as well, even in our long range play time in the canyons here on the ranch, we can easily hit the caliche rocks at 200/300yds with these BT 200gr'ers in the G20, and even the smaller guns, and midsize are very very accurate at long range.

So, hope that helps ya. One more thing. I do not have one bud, that shoots BT HC bullets in a "stock Glock barrel" that has ever had one issue that I am aware of.

Pick your lead, keep and eye on things every 30/40 rds (i do) and have never had cause for any alarm period !

The G36 is the latest, actually, to have a hard long run of Hunters Supply 200gr HC, and they were so accurate, HS wants me to write a testimony for them to place on their web site. Even at 100/200 yds, they are real shooters, and up close at hunting/close target range, they hold very tight groups.

Again amigo, never one issue of any nature.

Go have fun, and use the right stuff, as I suggested above, these all work excellent in every Glock barrel I have ever owned !

No, I don't use 6" barrels, 'but I did once'. This one is also 'stock Glock,' and the bullets are 200gr BT of my own loading...

Caliber Corner

The bullet on the far right, is a BT 200gr 10mm.
left to right..45LC/44mag/10mm

Caliber Corner

BTW... Yes, you can carry and shoot BB in your Glock barrel, and not worry. Just be aware, as I said at the begining here, that the 220gr HC bullets in a G20 do not "usually stabilize well" at longer distance, (in my experience), or feed well in a good deal of Glocks or AM, or factory barrels. Try a box. If they work well, there ya go !.

But again, I would go (in this case) with the (FMJ FP), if ya just got to use the gun for the "woods."

I failed to really notice if you were a hand loader or not, so I got carried away... Sorry bout that ! But, you certainly get the point that Good lead bullets, will work fine in the stock Glock barrel..

Bless ya !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 07-01-2013 at 16:28..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 18:23   #7
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
For 14 years, I have fired "tens of thoudands" of rds out here on the ranch, of HC bullets (that I loaded) through all types, and calibers of "Stock Glock" barrels. Never ONE issue, from mild loads to very hot loads.

BB makes a good product, and their lead is well suited for good accuracy and down range impact on target. BUT, I am only familiar with the fact that BB makes a 220gr HC bullet. I would not sugget a 220gr HC any body's bullet, in G20, with any barrel. 220gr HC are just not good performers in a G20. Loooong story amigo, but In all my experience with them, they are just poor performers, feeding, and accuracy, (staying stable in flight).

Some folks have really good performance with them... You might as well. I just have not, So, I have stuck with 200gr max weight for the 10mm auto.

I would suggest you find a good quaity 200gr HC. If ya can't find that....

If I were you, I would go with BB's 200gr FMJ FP, over the 220gr HC. Then you are far more assured of good feeding, and they will still work well with that big flat Meplat, (nose)

I normally would not suggest a FMJ, but in this case, with that large meplat, I would not fear using them at all for close up woods work, but i do not suggest use on bears with them, or with a 10mm period.

If ya load your own, I would rather use Beartooth, and Suggest those, and Hunters Supply, in this order, first on the list, for the 10mm, and 45auto, for price and an even "Better" quality bullet.

Again, if you use a HC bullet of 18/21 BHN, (hardness) (beartooth bullets is probably my 'very favorite' and at (20/21bhn, 200gr) you will be fine.

I have fired tons (so to speak) of 200gr BT HC bullets through the G20/29 for years, and the G30/36, 23/17, man, on and on.

I have never once, and thousands of rds, had one single issue with BT, or Hunters Supply, in a 'stock Glock" barrel.

Most all my problems have happened with after market barrels, which are no more accurate than the AM barrel from all my experience with them.

I bought AM barrels for a while and kept one, because it allowed for longer brass life in my G20. Other than that 'one reason', there was nothing to write home about.

At 100yds, my "stock' G20 barrel with my own load of 200gr BT HC bullet and 10.5grs Blue Dot, cleany took a lung shot Texas deer just fine, and passed through both sides. Lots o' blood!

Man, get a good bullet, like BT, or HS, and go on and don't worry. I have had several some G20's and G29's and G30's etc, ALL shot "fine" with the 200gr BT in the .40cal, and the 45cal shot fine as well, even in our long range play time in the canyons here on the ranch, we can easily hit the caliche rocks at 200/300yds with these BT 200gr'ers in the G20, and even the smaller guns, and midsize are very very accurate at long range.

So, hope that helps ya. One more thing. I do not have one bud, that shoots BT HC bullets in a "stock Glock barrel" that has ever had one issue that I am aware of.

Pick your lead, keep and eye on things every 30/40 rds (i do) and have never had cause for any alarm period !

The G36 is the latest, actually, to have a hard long run of Hunters Supply 200gr HC, and they were so accurate, HS wants me to write a testimony for them to place on their web site. Even at 100/200 yds, they are real shooters, and up close at hunting/close target range, they hold very tight groups.

Again amigo, never one issue of any nature.

Go have fun, and use the right stuff, as I suggested above, these all work excellent in every Glock barrel I have ever owned !

No, I don't use 6" barrels, 'but I did once'. This one is also 'stock Glock,' and the bullets are 200gr BT of my own loading...

Caliber Corner

The bullet on the far right, is a BT 200gr 10mm.
left to right..45LC/44mag/10mm

Caliber Corner

BTW... Yes, you can carry and shoot BB in your Glock barrel, and not worry. Just be aware, as I said at the begining here, that the 220gr HC bullets in a G20 do not "usually stabilize well" at longer distance, (in my experience), or feed well in a good deal of Glocks or AM, or factory barrels. Try a box. If they work well, there ya go !.

But again, I would go (in this case) with the (FMJ FP), if ya just got to use the gun for the "woods."

I failed to really notice if you were a hand loader or not, so I got carried away... Sorry bout that ! But, you certainly get the point that Good lead bullets, will work fine in the stock Glock barrel..

Bless ya !

CanyonMan
CM, do you have one pistol/revolver that is your favorite?
Old 07-01-2013, 18:28   #8
Clusterfrack

My understanding is that a few hard cast bullets will be ok in polygonal bores. However do NOT use "+p" .40 in a stock Glock.
Old 07-01-2013, 18:49   #9
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytxrx View Post
CM, do you have one pistol/revolver that is your favorite?

Yeh, I would say I do, but that is a tuffy ! haha.

For the "pistol in semi-auto," Gotta stay with my Colt M1911 Gov. Man, actually, any of my 1911's... (sorry, ha)

As for the Revolver. This one is also a tuffy, kinda, but my old faithful Ruger Vaquero 44mag 4 5/8". Hate to do this to ya, but also my Ruger BH, in 45LC.

Bottom line. If I had to toss every pistol and revolver I own except 4. I would keep the Colt Gov M1911, and the Sig P220, and the Ruger Vaquero 4 5/8" 44mag, and the 5 1/2" Ruger BH 45LC.

Man I am sweating here.... haha !

I love all my guns, but the M1911, and the Ruger Vaquero see all the action. EDC on the ranch is 95% the 44mag Vaquero (then the 45LC). ALL or 99% carry "when in a town," is the M1911.

I think I am spot on with my answer, if I look at how I've lived and what I've carried, and done for 50 years. Of course before the Vaquero (which I think came along around (1991/2/3) it was the Ruger SBH 44mag. Then the Vaquero (old model/style) came along, and that did it for me.

They ALL, (the Rugers), see nothing but heavy HC bullets, and are shot pretty much every day. The M1911 is shot several times a week to stay in shape (me that is, ha).

Well, if I don't jump off now, I'll get fired up on my favorite guns/subject! haha

Stay safe amigo !

CanyonMan

Old 07-01-2013, 19:20   #10
WinterWizard

Heavy for caliber, hard-cast loads tend to tumble out of stock Glock barrels. Hickok45 has a video demonstrating this in a G20, I believe. I wouldn't shoot over 180gr in .40.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 07-01-2013 at 19:20..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 20:47   #11
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
Heavy for caliber, hard-cast loads tend to tumble out of stock Glock barrels. Hickok45 has a video demonstrating this in a G20, I believe. I wouldn't shoot over 180gr in .40.

Hey amigo how's it goin?

Actually, you are partly correct.. That is to say, that this "Hickok fella," did try some cast in the G20, BUT, it was DT 230gr in a stock barrel, and then he lined it out a bit in an AM barrel.

The DT 230gr HC is the worst bullet I have ever had the displeasure to test. haha

A couple years back, me and another fella that used to be here on GT, did some really in depth testing on the 230gr DT HC bullet. It is the worst made, and shaped, and shooting HC I have seen in 50 years of shooting HC bullets, and almost 45 years of Hand loading them... (Long story)

But, they do not, and will not, shoot well in any 10mm.

Now, For 14 years I have been shooting 200gr and 180gr in G20's and then when I got a G29 after they first came out, shooting the same in them as well.

I use Beartooth 200gr HC and 180gr Hunter Supply HC, in all the G20's/G29's I have owned/own...

They all shoot straight as an arrow.

As i said above (somwhere), at 100yds I cleanly can take Texas white tail out here on the ranch with my hand loaded 200gr BT HC bullets and using my favorite load for it in the G20 and "stock Glock Barrel."

I rarely ever use a AM barrel except to save brass life, but the Stock barrel sees 90 some percent of all the shooting, and that has been tens of thousands of rds of HC lead in 14 years through the Stock Barrels with tremendous accuracy, and flawless funtion in all the G20's/G29's I have owned/own.

But you are correct that Past 200 gr IMO they(HC) are just not a good match for the 10mm Glock.

I have to say, I have good friends, (several on GT here) that have had excellent results with stock Glock barrels and 220gr HC. 'I have not'.

All my shooting stays at 200grs. I sometimes, as I said use 180, but the 200gr'ers fly very well at very very long range and very stable and flawless function in all the Glock stock barrels..

I hope more people will step out and discover the cheaper shooting, and the fun, and the tremendous accuracy they can get out of their G20'/29' and their 'stock barrels' in 10mm.

I am not a huge 10mm fan, but I have sure "wrung them out" over the years. haha.

The 'fad' of them, (for me), sorta wore off on me, and I do not shoot them as much any more, but they are fun to shoot, and make good human SD gun, and good for varmints and deer. I would not reccomend them for anything larger than that, no matter "who' did what with them ! haha.

Well, WW, stay safe pard, and have a great week.

CanyonMan

Old 07-01-2013, 21:51   #12
WinterWizard

I am sure you're right, CanyonMan. I wonder what a 200gr hardcast would do out of a Glock .40 barrel (not 10mm). I assume it would shoot just fine, but who knows. I don't have occasion to try it.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 22:23   #13
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
I am sure you're right, CanyonMan. I wonder what a 200gr hardcast would do out of a Glock .40 barrel (not 10mm). I assume it would shoot just fine, but who knows. I don't have occasion to try it.

Well my friend, The short answer to this is... 200gr HC stink in a 40 S&W. haha. It is just to much for that short case IMO.

180gr in a 40 S&W, work nicely. But 200gr... Naw. Notta good amigo ! Main reason is just not enough case capascity to get any 'real benefit' from such a loading. (IMO).

Well. I am still getting virus warnings when on GT, and the functions over here do not work right, so I am leary of hangin around here until they fix 'whatever...'

WW, stay safe amigo, and good shooting man !

CanyonMan

Old 07-02-2013, 08:32   #14
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:

Ron
I wouldn't worry much about it really. Some lead bullets do lead more than others, so the best thing to do is to try some out. I've shot quite a bit of lead through my Glock barrels with varying degrees of leading, but overall zero issues.

Some question whether that load will stabilize or not, you'll just have to try some out to see if they're tumbling or not when they hit the cardboard. I've shot a number of 200's through my .40's and haven't had any issues with keyholing, but it's not so say with some load that it couldn't happen.

I don't think you'll have issues with reliability as a 200gr at 1000 fps isn't particularly fast for a .40. However based on bullet design alone, I would consider the Double Tap 200gr WFNGC for one reason only, the bullet design is much better than the one BB uses on their "outdoorsman" load. Also, the DT load uses a gas check which will cut down on any chances of it leading in the Glock bbl.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=607

They also sell 50rd box:
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=210

Last edited by SDGlock23; 07-02-2013 at 08:35..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:43   #15
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

I have seen more than one person have keyholing issues with 200gr cast bullets in stock Glock barrels.
Old 07-10-2013, 17:55   #16
Buckeye 7x57

I ordered a Lone Wolf barrel for my G27 last night. I should be OK shooting cast bullets through it.

Thanks for the input,

Ron
Buckeye 7x57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 21:39   #17
rustytxrx

Quote:
I ordered a Lone Wolf barrel for my G27 last night. I should be OK shooting cast bullets through it.

Thanks for the input,

Ron
I have been using a lone wolf and lead cast bullets for a long time. Works great
Old 09-06-2013, 19:31   #18
rrjenn

Quote:
A week ago he made a video about the g20 and g29 firing 10mm 200 grain doubletap hardcast just fine and the Buffalo Bore 220 grain hardcast firing with no tumble. Still you don't want to fire a lot of lead from the Glock because of fouling a the subsequent over pressure problem that could happen. I'd been wanting to use hardcast with my g29 for woods and that video was welcome.
rrjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 21:02   #19
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:

Thanks for the input,

Ron
Do yourself a favor when it comes in the mail... Take it out, drop the intended round into the chamber and make sure it sits flush or slightly below the barrel hood. Lead bullets tend to be .001 - .002" bigger in diameter, and LW barrels tend to have very short throats. Huge thread on it in the reloading section a while back, with the owner of LW chiming in and taking abuse.

Ain't gonna link to it, as it that thread got locked.

I sold mine. If I had to do it again, I'd look at KKM or Storm Lake. As it stands, I never could get lead to run right in my stock G30 barrel. Made a huge mess. Not sure why it works for some and not others... I was shooting .4525" boolits. I almost never carry or shoot that gun, so I just load ball ammo for it.

Good luck.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 00:48   #20
Tiro Fijo

For all Glock 9mm, 10mm, .357 SIG and .40 S&W handguns the twist rate is 1 in 9.84 in. That won't stabilize the longer 220 gr. bullet worth a damn in .40 cal.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote