Tiro Fijo

Ammo Shortage of 2013

Great article:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/06/12...kly+Newsletter
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 00:15   #2
WinterWizard

Yep. Been saying this since Spring.

Also, there are a lot of new shooters who bought during the panic and now think they need to stockpile hundreds and thousands of rounds because so-and-so prepper told them so. I wish all these knobs would go back to playing video games.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:03   #3
4949shooter

In another year or two there might be a lot of ammo on the market for sale cheap.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:37   #4
John Biltz

Well, my personal opinion is everyone should have thousands of rounds stocked up or at least a year's supply. The guys who were stocked up are not the problem. I went six months without buying a round. I could have went another six months months with out difficulty or hardship and I'm shooting just as much as I did last year, but 5.56 is becoming available at fairly reasonable prices.

My personal opinion is that the panic was caused because most people do not have enough ammo on hand. They unrealistically expected supply to be able to meet their instant gratification of a newly created need and it can't. No one stockpiles in supply chains anymore. Its considered wasteful and expensive. I'll also say this, that two year back log is meaningless. When retailers and distributors get caught up they will cancel those back orders. The ammo companies were not smart either. The shortage did not start over the shootings, it started with the election and that was a very predictable event that the ammo companies should have seen coming. When this started I said 8 or 9 months to get back to the shortage levels of 2008 and about 6 months later to get back to normal. That is looking more or less accurate.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:33   #5
skyboss_4evr

Excellent article!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:18   #6
triggerjerk

I just popped into my lgs a few minutes ago to chat with a friend a there.
I saw a gentleman walk in and proceed to put 13 100rd Federal AE .45ACP value packs ($50/ea) into his cart. He then asked where the .22 was and took all that was left there (which wasn't much anyways). That there is the problem.

I have said this before but I will say it again: there is PLENTY of ammo online. Plenty. It is just being sold for 400% profit on various classified sites. :(

Last edited by triggerjerk; 06-25-2013 at 11:19..
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:00   #7
JabbaNoBother

That individual is, for lack of a better word, a *********
Old 06-25-2013, 14:04   #8
samuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaNoBother View Post
That individual is, for lack of a better word, a *********

For buying 1300 rounds?

I only buy ammo a few times a year. I buy in case lots because I don't like to have a mish mash of different ammo laying around.

If I buy ammo, it's a 1K minimum.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 16:20   #9
hogfish
Señor Member

There's a difference between hoarding ammo and panic buying. It might be hoarding if you've accumulated 10-20K rounds in 8 or 10 years, but there's nothing wrong with that. If you did it while or because of the 'Obama scare', then you are a potato head.

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
hogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 18:48   #10
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biltz View Post
Well, my personal opinion is everyone should have thousands of rounds stocked up or at least a year's supply.
I don't think everyone should lay in thousands of rounds of every caliber considering that every individual's situation is different.

I used to shoot a lot more than I do now, but then I had more disposable income. Now retired and with a teenage daughter beginning college this Fall I have cut back quite a bit on range time with the two self-defense handguns/calibers I own.

This and the recent ammo panic has caused me to sit on the 400 rounds of FMJ range ammo and the 300+ rounds of premium JHP self-defense rounds I have for each of my handgun calibers. I would have been to the range with some of the 9mm practice ammo but I've been looking for a good sub-compact and want to save it for break-in, if I do find one I really want.

I did recently buy an AR-style .22lr and have been lucky to accumulate 3,000 rounds of both cheap and quality ammo. I'll be shooting this with some regularity because I know if I'm patient I can replace it, and it's not primary for self-defense.
Old 06-25-2013, 19:44   #11
John Biltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I don't think everyone should lay in thousands of rounds of every caliber considering that every individual's situation is different.

I used to shoot a lot more than I do now, but then I had more disposable income. Now retired and with a teenage daughter beginning college this Fall I have cut back quite a bit on range time with the two self-defense handguns/calibers I own.

This and the recent ammo panic has caused me to sit on the 400 rounds of FMJ range ammo and the 300+ rounds of premium JHP self-defense rounds I have for each of my handgun calibers. I would have been to the range with some of the 9mm practice ammo but I've been looking for a good sub-compact and want to save it for break-in, if I do find one I really want.

I did recently buy an AR-style .22lr and have been lucky to accumulate 3,000 rounds of both cheap and quality ammo. I'll be shooting this with some regularity because I know if I'm patient I can replace it, and it's not primary for self-defense.
A years supply for a guy who shoots 100 rounds every three months is 400 rounds. A years supply for a guy who shoots once a year is probably 100 rounds. Those two examples there probably covers 80% of gun owners. If you shoot 100 rounds a month then you need to have 1200 rounds. Now we get to the hard core shooters. Shooting is my golf. Once a week I go out and shoot 100 rounds the same way most golfers go out once a week and play a round. I shoot 5,000 a year, I know because I keep records. I keep 5,000 rounds of 9mm and 1,000 5.56 on hand at all times. Before 2008 I normally kept about 400 rounds on hand. I learned my lesson in the 2008 shortage.
Old 06-25-2013, 20:18   #12
Tarant

I've just tried to stop worrying about it. I did find the article a good read and since I haven't been following the ammo and firearms shortage its good to peak in on the issue.

Although this year has had a huge ammo shortage, it seems that years prior ammo hasn't been very plentiful.

Last edited by Tarant; 06-25-2013 at 20:22..
Tarant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:12   #13
Boot Stomper

The author, Pat Cascio, provides a solution, but I'm sure many will not heed his advice.

STOP HOARDING!!

"Yes, I understand, no one wants to get caught with their pants down, and not have enough ammo. But then again, can you define what “enough” ammo is? Let’s see if we can’t turn the tide, and start buying ammo the way we used to: slow down, and don’t hoard it." Cascio

Last edited by Boot Stomper; 06-26-2013 at 11:14..
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 21:22   #14
sonoma

I was at a lgs yesterday and they had a couple of pallets of remington 22lr bucket of bullets.There was 1669 bullets in the bucket and the price was $220.00.An old man told he just bought 3 boxes of 22lr with 525 in a box at walmart for 22 dollars a box that morning.Upon saying that there were 5 people in the store and they all walked out.This gun store has made alot of money in the last 6 months off ammo but now that things are getting a little more back to normal they have lost alot of customers.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 22:17   #15
AZson

I.ve been stocking up with reloading media for years. I'm sitting just fine.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:07   #16
cadillacguns

I laid in a supply of .40 a week before Newtown, the other day a guy on line offered 500 rds of 124 gr 9mm at $15 a box of 50, ($150) and 100 rds 124 gr Winchester Ranger 9mm also FMJ for another $15 for both boxes, so $165 for 600 rds of 9mm FMJ is about WM price with tax, exceptr WM doesnt have any ammo and when thety do you dont get a cart full. Yesterday another guy posted a WTT locally 9mm for .40 (Blazer Brass 180gr) so I will be trading up. Horde? Wish I could but I shoot 1,000 rds a year of 9mm and .40.
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote