SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:24   #1
crater
NRA Member

Carry on private property/where you live

Like a dummy, I let my Ky CCW expire after moving to Ohio. I found out you only have 1 year to apply for a Ohio CCW using your out of state license in lieu of attending a class. Also my Army discharge and Ohio Peace Officers certifacte are no longer of any use.

Anyway, until I can get to a class, could some one explain to me about carrying on private property. I move into a duplex that my sister has, in order to help her out since her husband passed. We are out in the country and close to where there have been attacks on animals (killing of sheep, beheading, smearing the blood on buildings and burning down barns).

Would appreciate any input or advice.

Thanks in regards..

NRA Member, Viet Nam Vet 1965-1966,Life Member D.A.V., Member American Legion, Life Member V.V.A.
crater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 23:13   #2
glockess56
CLM Number 295
Charter Lifetime Member

You don't need any permit to carry on the premise where you live. That's your home.
glockess56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:34   #3
crater
NRA Member

Thanks for the info. One more question, does it have to be open carry or is ccw o.k. as well?

Thanks again....

NRA Member, Viet Nam Vet 1965-1966,Life Member D.A.V., Member American Legion, Life Member V.V.A.
Old 06-17-2013, 17:07   #4
shadow_dog
Hilljack

Butler County?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47   #5
WILLSARV

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockess56 View Post
You don't need any permit to carry on the premise where you live. That's your home.

For open carry I think you're good but for concealed carry go to the last line below.....

2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.

(B) No person who has been issued a concealed handgun license shall do any of the following:

(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

(2) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, knowingly fail to keep the person's hands in plain sight at any time after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the person while stopped and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the failure is pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by a law enforcement officer;

(3) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose, if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, and if the person is approached by any law enforcement officer while stopped, knowingly remove or attempt to remove the loaded handgun from the holster, pocket, or other place in which the person is carrying it, knowingly grasp or hold the loaded handgun, or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person's hands or fingers at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person removes, attempts to remove, grasps, holds, or has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer;

(4) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, knowingly disregard or fail to comply with any lawful order of any law enforcement officer given while the person is stopped, including, but not limited to, a specific order to the person to keep the person's hands in plain sight.

(C)

(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An officer, agent, or employee of this or any other state or the United States, or to a law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry concealed weapons or dangerous ordnance or is authorized to carry handguns and is acting within the scope of the officer's, agent's, or employee's duties;

(b) Any person who is employed in this state, who is authorized to carry concealed weapons or dangerous ordnance or is authorized to carry handguns, and who is subject to and in compliance with the requirements of section 109.801 of the Revised Code, unless the appointing authority of the person has expressly specified that the exemption provided in division (C)(1)(b) of this section does not apply to the person;

(c) A person's transportation or storage of a firearm, other than a firearm described in divisions (G) to (M) of section 2923.11 of the Revised Code, in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose if the firearm is not on the actor's person;

(d) A person's storage or possession of a firearm, other than a firearm described in divisions (G) to (M) of section 2923.11 of the Revised Code, in the actor's own home for any lawful purpose.

(2) Division (A)(2) of this section does not apply to any person who, at the time of the alleged carrying or possession of a handgun, is carrying a valid concealed handgun license, unless the person knowingly is in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

(D) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under division (A)(1) of this section of carrying or having control of a weapon other than a handgun and other than a dangerous ordnance that the actor was not otherwise prohibited by law from having the weapon and that any of the following applies:

(1) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes while the actor was engaged in or was going to or from the actor's lawful business or occupation, which business or occupation was of a character or was necessarily carried on in a manner or at a time or place as to render the actor particularly susceptible to criminal attack, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

(2) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes while the actor was engaged in a lawful activity and had reasonable cause to fear a criminal attack upon the actor, a member of the actor's family, or the actor's home, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

(3) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for any lawful purpose and while in the actor's own home.

Last edited by WILLSARV; 06-27-2013 at 08:59..
WILLSARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 15:30   #6
crater
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_dog View Post
Butler County?
Yes, Butler county.
thanks for all the responses. I have since taken the CHL class and have my appt. next week with the Sheriff.

Thanks again...