Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 08:36   #1
LilWolfess
Senior Member
 
LilWolfess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NW MN
Posts: 431
Little Gun Habit to End.

Thus far, my small collection of firearms has a barrel length range of 3-3.5" all of which are sub compact 9mm, .380s and .22s.

They are great for carry, and the frame size accommodates my micro sized hands.

It's time for a full (or at least...full-er) sized 1911. I have shot a couple before, but I'm not exactly familiar with the different features of the different brands.

I'm not looking to buy anything over $1200.

I recently spent about 2-3 hours holding different brands, and have it narrowed down to the following three:

Ruger SR1911
- These have a stellar reputation, but didn't "feel" quite right when I held it.

Sig C3
- I found one without the crimson trace and it was prettymuch perfect, but I am curious as to the perceived recoil compared to the last one I am considering.

Kimber Stainless (appears to be the full size).
- I think this was one of the base models, as the price was only 50 bucks more than the Sig C3. I liked the way it felt, and it was very very pretty in stainless. As I just so happen to be a woman, I have a certain attraction to things that are pretty.
__________________
Not for sale today!
LilWolfess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:29   #2
Roering
Sorting nuts
 
Roering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWolfess View Post
Thus far, my small collection of firearms has a barrel length range of 3-3.5" all of which are sub compact 9mm, .380s and .22s.

They are great for carry, and the frame size accommodates my micro sized hands.

It's time for a full (or at least...full-er) sized 1911. I have shot a couple before, but I'm not exactly familiar with the different features of the different brands.

I'm not looking to buy anything over $1200.

I recently spent about 2-3 hours holding different brands, and have it narrowed down to the following three:

Ruger SR1911
- These have a stellar reputation, but didn't "feel" quite right when I held it.

Sig C3
- I found one without the crimson trace and it was prettymuch perfect, but I am curious as to the perceived recoil compared to the last one I am considering.

Kimber Stainless (appears to be the full size).
- I think this was one of the base models, as the price was only 50 bucks more than the Sig C3. I liked the way it felt, and it was very very pretty in stainless. As I just so happen to be a woman, I have a certain attraction to things that are pretty.
I've been pleased with the quality of the Kimber Stainless.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Warranty voiding

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31   #3
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 91,643
Have you looked at the STI Trojan? I think it's nicer than any of those by a decent margin. They usually run $1000 to $1100.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by bac1023; 06-21-2013 at 11:31..
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 13:11   #4
Roering
Sorting nuts
 
Roering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,551
A look through Bac's buyers guide is recommended.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Warranty voiding

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 14:13   #5
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 56,467


Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWolfess View Post
I'm not looking to buy anything over $1200.

and it was very very pretty in stainless. As I just so happen to be a woman, I have a certain attraction to things that are pretty.
Check out this mamajama!!! It's around $1200 AND it's beautiful: Colt El Centauro in .38 Super.

Sister, I understand your needs for pretty things.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 15:53   #6
CMG
Senior Member
 
CMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Don't Mess with Texas
Posts: 4,362
Of those three, I'd go with the Kimber Stainless. Their base model pistols are usually very good, and priced right as well.

STI builds a nice gun, but since you talked about "feel", I'd say don't buy one unless you can handle it first, as STI uses a different front strap contour (from Colt, Kimber and Ruger) that does change the feel of the gun in my hand.
__________________
Nobody has the right to never be offended!
CMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 16:00   #7
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy
 
Joshhtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,567


Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Have you looked at the STI Trojan? I think it's nicer than any of those by a decent margin. They usually run $1000 to $1100.
This.
__________________
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***CHECK OUT MY EBAY STORE FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED-***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 16:30   #8
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
My wife is a 1911 fan and likes the smaller Kimbers but she has brought home some Springfields and a Sig Scorpion. I personally think the Sig is ugly and I wish she would just give in and buy the stainless Kimber she really wants. We don't get the STIs around here and she only buys something that she gets "hands on".

I have been a 1911 guy for decades but I am more of the "dumb grunt" level kind.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 17:03   #9
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 91,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
My wife is a 1911 fan and likes the smaller Kimbers but she has brought home some Springfields and a Sig Scorpion. I personally think the Sig is ugly and I wish she would just give in and buy the stainless Kimber she really wants. We don't get the STIs around here and she only buys something that she gets "hands on".

I have been a 1911 guy for decades but I am more of the "dumb grunt" level kind.
I think you would really like the STI, Country.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 17:23   #10
eaglesfan55
(>'-')>
 
eaglesfan55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south of the mason dixon line
Posts: 934
I recently bought a springfield range oficer and dont have a bad thing to say about it. Should be well under your price limit as well.
__________________
Quote:
ps: your results may vary depending on stance, grip and overall manliness lol
eaglesfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 18:19   #11
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I think you would really like the STI, Country.
Well .......somebody mentioned a different profile to the grip. Now, say what you will, she bought a Taurus PT1911 and it is working fine and has a slightly "flatter" front strap profile and I like it



The flatter grip on the front is the first change to the design I really like since I went back to the flat housing in the 70's

If the STI difference is similar I will start showing SWMBO pics of the STI, (I think we have the Kimbers we need really) but not before I get my certain 1911 10mm.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 23:24   #12
LilWolfess
Senior Member
 
LilWolfess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NW MN
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Have you looked at the STI Trojan? I think it's nicer than any of those by a decent margin. They usually run $1000 to $1100.
I looked at their website and liked what I saw for sure!

Now I just have to find one to touch!
__________________
Not for sale today!
LilWolfess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 00:37   #13
AZ Husker
Senior Member
 
AZ Husker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 5,037
The Kimber was the flagship for "semi custom" 1911's. Before them nobody put all the bells and whistles on a base gun. I've got a ton of them, and the stainless are my favorites. All mine are the original series. If you can locate an original series (pre-series II) in stainless grab it. You won't be sorry.
__________________
Luck will run out, but skill will survive.
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:52   #14
sawgrass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,320
Good luck.

I don't know how often you make it to the cities, but you are welcome to shoot any gun that I own. I can scratch up a few Govt. 1911's for you to try. There was a used one yr. old black TRP on armslist in Bloomington a few days ago with 5 magazines for $1200.
__________________
Quote:
I've learned over the years that if you don't get exactly what you want, you'll never satisfy the desire. :cool:
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:02   #15
CMG
Senior Member
 
CMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Don't Mess with Texas
Posts: 4,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Well .......somebody mentioned a different profile to the grip. Now, say what you will, she bought a Taurus PT1911 and it is working fine and has a slightly "flatter" front strap profile and I like it



The flatter grip on the front is the first change to the design I really like since I went back to the flat housing in the 70's

If the STI difference is similar I will start showing SWMBO pics of the STI, (I think we have the Kimbers we need really) but not before I get my certain 1911 10mm.
I have a Taurus frame under my Kimber .22 Conversion and the front-strap contour is similar to the STI Trojan I owned. If you like the Taurus' grip, you'll probably get along fine with the STI. I much prefer the Colt profile. (The best thing Springfield has done in recent years was to go back to the Colt profile, IMO.)
__________________
Nobody has the right to never be offended!
CMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:48   #16
Redstate
Senior Member
 
Redstate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 744
Springfield has some very nice offerings for well under your price range. Prices around here for brand new are:

Springfield Mil spec around $620.00;
Springfield RO around $735.00;
Springfield Loaded around $780.00.

You can't go wrong with a Springfield. Awesome customer service for lifetime should you ever need it.
Redstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 19:33   #17
LilWolfess
Senior Member
 
LilWolfess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NW MN
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
Springfield has some very nice offerings for well under your price range. Prices around here for brand new are:

Springfield Mil spec around $620.00;
Springfield RO around $735.00;
Springfield Loaded around $780.00.

You can't go wrong with a Springfield. Awesome customer service for lifetime should you ever need it.
I have no complaints about Springfields, or their prices. It's mainly a matter of what feels right. Or what is accommodating to my very very small hands.
__________________
Not for sale today!
LilWolfess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 00:30   #18
sawgrass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,320
Good Luck in your search.

I'm kinda small too but have managed for 20 plus years learning how to work smarter than harder. Hope that you find what you are looking for.

SG
__________________
Quote:
I've learned over the years that if you don't get exactly what you want, you'll never satisfy the desire. :cool:
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 16:14   #19
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 56,467


Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWolfess View Post
I have no complaints about Springfields, or their prices. It's mainly a matter of what feels right. Or what is accommodating to my very very small hands.
With the very few exceptions most m1911s will have the same grip dimensions. You can play with thin grip panels, flat mainspring housing, trigger reach but that is about it. Maybe a custom shop can reslope the metal part of the grip frame for you a bit but that won't be cheap.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 19:42   #20
Roger1079
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South FL
Posts: 2,241
I have 3 Kimber's and a Colt. Waiting on my 4th Kimber (an Eclipse Ultra II) to get to my FFL now. They do a very good job of bridging the gap between the expensive custom pistols and base model pistols. You definitely cannot go wrong with a Kimber for the price.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
.45 acp, 1911, help me, lilwolfess, women
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:08.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 941
267 Members
674 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31