Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:36   #1
LilWolfess

Little Gun Habit to End.

Thus far, my small collection of firearms has a barrel length range of 3-3.5" all of which are sub compact 9mm, .380s and .22s.

They are great for carry, and the frame size accommodates my micro sized hands.

It's time for a full (or at least...full-er) sized 1911. I have shot a couple before, but I'm not exactly familiar with the different features of the different brands.

I'm not looking to buy anything over $1200.

I recently spent about 2-3 hours holding different brands, and have it narrowed down to the following three:

Ruger SR1911
- These have a stellar reputation, but didn't "feel" quite right when I held it.

Sig C3
- I found one without the crimson trace and it was prettymuch perfect, but I am curious as to the perceived recoil compared to the last one I am considering.

Kimber Stainless (appears to be the full size).
- I think this was one of the base models, as the price was only 50 bucks more than the Sig C3. I liked the way it felt, and it was very very pretty in stainless. As I just so happen to be a woman, I have a certain attraction to things that are pretty.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:29   #2
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWolfess View Post
Thus far, my small collection of firearms has a barrel length range of 3-3.5" all of which are sub compact 9mm, .380s and .22s.

They are great for carry, and the frame size accommodates my micro sized hands.

It's time for a full (or at least...full-er) sized 1911. I have shot a couple before, but I'm not exactly familiar with the different features of the different brands.

I recently spent about 2-3 hours holding different brands, and have it narrowed down to the following three:

Ruger SR1911
- These have a stellar reputation, but didn't "feel" quite right when I held it.

Sig C3
- I found one without the crimson trace and it was prettymuch perfect, but I am curious as to the perceived recoil compared to the last one I am considering.

Kimber Stainless (appears to be the full size).
- I think this was one of the base models, as the price was only 50 bucks more than the Sig C3. I liked the way it felt, and it was very very pretty in stainless. As I just so happen to be a woman, I have a certain attraction to things that are pretty.
I've been pleased with the quality of the Kimber Stainless.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31   #3
bac1023

Have you looked at the STI Trojan? I think it's nicer than any of those by a decent margin. They usually run $1000 to $1100.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by bac1023; 06-21-2013 at 11:31..
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 13:11   #4
Roering
Sorting nuts

A look through Bac's buyers guide is recommended.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 14:13   #5
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:

and it was very very pretty in stainless. As I just so happen to be a woman, I have a certain attraction to things that are pretty.
Check out this mamajama!!! It's around $1200 AND it's beautiful: Colt El Centauro in .38 Super.

Sister, I understand your needs for pretty things.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
Old 06-21-2013, 15:53   #6
CMG

Of those three, I'd go with the Kimber Stainless. Their base model pistols are usually very good, and priced right as well.

STI builds a nice gun, but since you talked about "feel", I'd say don't buy one unless you can handle it first, as STI uses a different front strap contour (from Colt, Kimber and Ruger) that does change the feel of the gun in my hand.
Old 06-21-2013, 16:00   #7
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Have you looked at the STI Trojan? I think it's nicer than any of those by a decent margin. They usually run $1000 to $1100.
This.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 16:30   #8
countrygun

My wife is a 1911 fan and likes the smaller Kimbers but she has brought home some Springfields and a Sig Scorpion. I personally think the Sig is ugly and I wish she would just give in and buy the stainless Kimber she really wants. We don't get the STIs around here and she only buys something that she gets "hands on".

I have been a 1911 guy for decades but I am more of the "dumb grunt" level kind.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 17:03   #9
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
My wife is a 1911 fan and likes the smaller Kimbers but she has brought home some Springfields and a Sig Scorpion. I personally think the Sig is ugly and I wish she would just give in and buy the stainless Kimber she really wants. We don't get the STIs around here and she only buys something that she gets "hands on".

I have been a 1911 guy for decades but I am more of the "dumb grunt" level kind.
I think you would really like the STI, Country.

bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 17:23   #10
eaglesfan55
(>'-')>

I recently bought a springfield range oficer and dont have a bad thing to say about it. Should be well under your price limit as well.
Old 06-21-2013, 18:19   #11
countrygun

Quote:
I think you would really like the STI, Country.
Well .......somebody mentioned a different profile to the grip. Now, say what you will, she bought a Taurus PT1911 and it is working fine and has a slightly "flatter" front strap profile and I like it

The flatter grip on the front is the first change to the design I really like since I went back to the flat housing in the 70's

If the STI difference is similar I will start showing SWMBO pics of the STI, (I think we have the Kimbers we need really) but not before I get my certain 1911 10mm.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 23:24   #12
LilWolfess

Quote:
I looked at their website and liked what I saw for sure!

Now I just have to find one to touch!
Old 06-22-2013, 00:37   #13
AZ Husker

The Kimber was the flagship for "semi custom" 1911's. Before them nobody put all the bells and whistles on a base gun. I've got a ton of them, and the stainless are my favorites. All mine are the original series. If you can locate an original series (pre-series II) in stainless grab it. You won't be sorry.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:52   #14
sawgrass

Good luck.

I don't know how often you make it to the cities, but you are welcome to shoot any gun that I own. I can scratch up a few Govt. 1911's for you to try. There was a used one yr. old black TRP on armslist in Bloomington a few days ago with 5 magazines for $1200.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:02   #15
CMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Well .......somebody mentioned a different profile to the grip. Now, say what you will, she bought a Taurus PT1911 and it is working fine and has a slightly "flatter" front strap profile and I like it

The flatter grip on the front is the first change to the design I really like since I went back to the flat housing in the 70's

If the STI difference is similar I will start showing SWMBO pics of the STI, (I think we have the Kimbers we need really) but not before I get my certain 1911 10mm.
I have a Taurus frame under my Kimber .22 Conversion and the front-strap contour is similar to the STI Trojan I owned. If you like the Taurus' grip, you'll probably get along fine with the STI. I much prefer the Colt profile. (The best thing Springfield has done in recent years was to go back to the Colt profile, IMO.)
Old 06-22-2013, 08:48   #16
Redstate

Springfield has some very nice offerings for well under your price range. Prices around here for brand new are:

Springfield Mil spec around $620.00;
Springfield RO around $735.00;
Springfield Loaded around $780.00.

You can't go wrong with a Springfield. Awesome customer service for lifetime should you ever need it.
Redstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 19:33   #17
LilWolfess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
Springfield has some very nice offerings for well under your price range. Prices around here for brand new are:

Springfield Mil spec around $620.00;
Springfield RO around $735.00;
Springfield Loaded around $780.00.

You can't go wrong with a Springfield. Awesome customer service for lifetime should you ever need it.
I have no complaints about Springfields, or their prices. It's mainly a matter of what feels right. Or what is accommodating to my very very small hands.
Old 06-26-2013, 00:30   #18
sawgrass

Good Luck in your search.

I'm kinda small too but have managed for 20 plus years learning how to work smarter than harder. Hope that you find what you are looking for.

SG
Old 06-26-2013, 16:14   #19
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
I have no complaints about Springfields, or their prices. It's mainly a matter of what feels right. Or what is accommodating to my very very small hands.
With the very few exceptions most m1911s will have the same grip dimensions. You can play with thin grip panels, flat mainspring housing, trigger reach but that is about it. Maybe a custom shop can reslope the metal part of the grip frame for you a bit but that won't be cheap.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 07-16-2013, 19:42   #20
Roger1079

I have 3 Kimber's and a Colt. Waiting on my 4th Kimber (an Eclipse Ultra II) to get to my FFL now. They do a very good job of bridging the gap between the expensive custom pistols and base model pistols. You definitely cannot go wrong with a Kimber for the price.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.45 acp, 1911, help me, lilwolfess, women