Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:27   #1
wingryder

ZIMMERMAN TRIAL Discussion:

I thought we should start a thread to discuss the trial as it proceeds. I live in Orlando and have been watching for the past 2 days.

I feel that Zimmerman's Lawyers appear to be disorganized and incompetent!

The Opening statement by Don West was far to long and detailed. He opened with a friggin' Knock-knock joke! IN A MURDER TRIAL!?! He then droned on for 3 hours citing far too much detail for an opening statement. His delivery is monotonous, tedious and contains far too many long pauses (while he collects his thoughts). He stammered and backtracked. Horrible to watch!

They ended the day yesterday contesting the admission of evidence of Zimmerman's previous non-emergency calls... AFTER they were already in the middle of testimony. Z's attorney's should have already known whether they wanted that admitted or not.

At this point, it doesn't look good for Zimmerman. Of course that could change, but his lawyers don't seem all that organized or competent to me. JMO

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
wingryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:32   #2
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

tagged.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:32   #3
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Lawyers, either idiots or genius in the making.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39   #4
wingryder

I am assuming that there are some stronger phases of the trial for them, but clearly West's opening statement doesn't appear to be well thought out nor did it fit his droning style of delivery. Knock-knock joke fell flat and he later had to apologized.

Off to a roaring start for the defense!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:24   #5
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
I am assuming that there are some stronger phases of the trial for them, but clearly West's opening statement doesn't appear to be well thought out nor did it fit his droning style of delivery. Knock-knock joke fell flat and he later had to apologized.

Off to a roaring start for the defense!

If his purpose for the joke was to get the jury to stop thinking about the strong open by the prosecutor and to pay attention to his open, he probably accomplished that. Planned or not I don't know, but at that level I suspect it was planned.

Even though his open droned on and on, he got a lot of information out to the jury before the prosecutor could put his spin on it. He probably got out some things that the jury would never see otherwise. I'll reserve judgment until the end to see if GZ got his monies worth.

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member

Last edited by willie_pete; 06-25-2013 at 09:25.. Reason: edit for sp.
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29   #6
wjv

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...491986&page=16

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:35   #7
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
I feel that Zimmerman's Lawyers appear to be disorganized and incompetent!

The Opening statement by Don West was far to long and detailed. He opened with a friggin' Knock-knock joke! IN A MURDER TRIAL!?! He then droned on for 3 hours citing far too much detail for an opening statement. His delivery is monotonous, tedious and contains far too many long pauses (while he collects his thoughts). He stammered and backtracked. Horrible to watch!

His lawyers don't seem all that organized or competent to me. JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Lawyers, either idiots or genius in the making.

^^^ This!

And many cases have been lost because of bad lawyering. Whether Zimmerman gets acquitted or found guilty, at least let it be on the facts or the law, and not on bad lawyers.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10   #8
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

I wonder how many are truly watching this case with an open mind?

I already see people (both sides) building a case for why their side unjustly lost...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:11   #9
JBnTX
None

Why are we even hearing about this trial?

Since the Zimmerman/Martin event anywhere from 100-200 black males have been killed by other black males in this country. And under far more hostile conditions.

Why are we not hearing about any or all of those?
It seems that the news media has a hidden agenda?
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:54   #10
el_jewapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Since the Zimmerman/Martin event anywhere from 100-200 black males have been killed by other black males in this country.
Which neighborhood are you referring to? I hope you're not talking about all of them collectively. If so, your numbers might be a wee bit low.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:56   #11
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Why are we even hearing about this trial?

Since the Zimmerman/Martin event anywhere from 100-200 black males have been killed by other black males in this country. And under far more hostile conditions.

Why are we not hearing about any or all of those?
It seems that the news media has a hidden agenda?
Yeah that's old news. Media is trying to stir up for a complete riot in America so they could profit from that event by broadcasting the event. Clever! NOT!
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03   #12
SGT278ACR
Retired Veteran

One thing is for certain... right, wrong or indifferent... if Z gets acquitted, found not guilty, etc... there will be civil unrest somewhere over it.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09   #13
el_jewapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT278ACR View Post
One thing is for certain... right, wrong or indifferent... if Z gets acquitted, found not guilty, etc... there will be civil unrest somewhere over it.
People wringing their hands worrying about that is a big problem in this country. It's why the unrest happens to start with.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22   #14
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT278ACR View Post
I worry if it's a hung jury.. he's not gonna have the money/stamina to fight again, and might take some ridiculous plea that avoids prison/jail time.

This of course, will also result in rioting. Like I said earlier, if you guys live in the area, I'd have 3-5 days of supplies on hand when jury deliberations start. If he is acquitted, I think it's going to be absolute chaos.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:41   #15
Cashgap

Curious, when is this expected to go to the Jury? I realize it's a guess, but some folks are good at guessing!

It will take a HEAVY thumb or SEVERAL very heavy thumbs on the scale of justice to get any sort of conviction, and even at that, the thumbprint should pave the way for the appeal.

But I think the riot talk is just idle threats.
Cashgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:43   #16
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I worry if it's a hung jury.. he's not gonna have the money/stamina to fight again, and might take some ridiculous plea that avoids prison/jail time.

This of course, will also result in rioting. Like I said earlier, if you guys live in the area, I'd have 3-5 days of supplies on hand when jury deliberations start. If he is acquitted, I think it's going to be absolute chaos.

IGF
I think time has a degrading effect on the will of folks to riot. Had no charges been brought riots, IMO, would have happened. But remember there was quite a lag between the incident itself and the media ginning it up until charges were pressed. Now the "hard core, waiting to riot, instigators" have to stir up the community again. Not so easy the second or third time around.
I don't doubt there will be some unrest if he is acquitted or even with a hung jury, but I will bet it is the type of group that would use a parking ticket as an excuse.

I doubt a hung jury will result in a second trial. there are legal ways around that, such as a dismissal with prejudice, or dismissal without, giving the prosecution a second chance if they uncover new evidence, but I would bet some accommodation would be made that wouldn't involve any plea from Zimmerman.

I think the prosecution will be glad to get the whole mess off their hands without getting a pound of flesh.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 13:06   #17
Glock!9

Send a message via AIM to Glock!9
I think it has been too long for people to riot, at least on a larg scale
Old 06-25-2013, 13:11   #18
kensb2
pistol n00b

How popular do people think it will be with the citizens of FL to have to pay for a second trial if it is a hung jury? IMO regardless of how I feel about a particular case, that the State gets 1 shot. If they can't get a conviction, then its done and overwith. They didn't meet the burden of proof in a great enough way to convince the entire jury.
kensb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 13:31   #19
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock!9 View Post
I think it has been too long for people to riot, at least on a larg scale
It's been a hundred and fifty years plus, and there are still a lot of them demanding 'reparations'....

Yeah, I Zimmerman walks, there will be jungle law for a while in some parts of Florida...and it could spread.
Old 06-25-2013, 13:36   #20
WarCry

^This thread has been going strong for a good couple o' days now. Not sure another was needed, but I'll leave that in the hands of the mods.
Old 06-25-2013, 13:57   #21
CAcop

Opening statement are boring and almost pointless. Lawyers like to talk. Even simple cases like theft or battery take days. One day is spent on jury selection. A half a day is spent on opening statements. Then at least a day and a half on witnesses. Then another half of a day for closing statements. That is the better part of a week just to get it to the jury.

It is nothing like TV.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 14:03   #22
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensb2 View Post
.. the State gets 1 shot. If they can't get a conviction, then its done and overwith....
you should read Helter Skelter......
Old 06-25-2013, 14:03   #23
el_jewapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Opening statement are boring and almost pointless. Lawyers like to talk. Even simple cases like theft or battery take days. One day is spent on jury selection. A half a day is spent on opening statements. Then at least a day and a half on witnesses. Then another half of a day for closing statements. That is the better part of a week just to get it to the jury.

It is nothing like TV.
I've been expecting to settle into a long trial like Jodi Arias. You think this one will be done in a week or two?
Old 06-25-2013, 14:19   #24
wingryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
^This thread has been going strong for a good couple o' days now. Not sure another was needed, but I'll leave that in the hands of the mods.
I wanted a thread to discuss aspects of the trail, not about whether or not there will be riots, etc...

Old 06-25-2013, 14:23   #25
Quigley
Elite Member

I feel bad for poor selected jury members. Their entire life is being placed on hold for quite some time to come.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

GREEN IS THE NEW RED
Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airplane pillow neck, diverse vibrancy, full retard, glockeroo cowboy, gobble gobble, labeefa tesifies, msm non-sense, my precious, retarded hippo, riot, skittles, stage name diamond, stop tag abuse, trayvon martin, underground railroaded, zimmerman