Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-21-2013, 14:34   #1
itstime

Otterbox Armor case

Anyone use one? Suggestions?? I'm on the fence. Haven't physically seen one in person.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 14:42   #2
Phaze5ive

They're great cases and offer good protection, but usually make your phone bulky as hell. Plus, they look tacky.
Phaze5ive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 14:43   #3
CBennett

My wife likes hers we got one off one of those "deal sites" where you have so long to get it(or till they are gone) cant remember the name of it though but it was about 55% off. And its by far the most protective case she has. The 2 id look at if your really looking at protection at a reasonable price are that and the Griffin Survivor..which is supposedly made to "military specs" .
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 14:44   #4
wizzi01

Send a message via ICQ to wizzi01 Send a message via AIM to wizzi01
The thing I do not like about otter boxes is the silicon will stretch out. I have had 4 different cases from them and they all did it.
wizzi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 14:54   #5
edporch

I have an Otterbox Defender for my Samsung Galaxy S4 and love it.
It's a great case.
SAF Life Member
edporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 15:23   #6
DjPitt

ive used their cases for a while now on a few different iphones and they protect like no other! i work in a shop so i drop my phone all the time, once off of a 40 foot ladder, face down, 1 week after i originally bought the dam phone!! i would throw it across the room, no problems at all...the first time i took it out of the case and dropped it...cracked screen (-_-) lol the only downside to them is they make the phone hella bulky
DjPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 15:55   #7
VC-Racing
General Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by edporch View Post
It's a great case.
Same here

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 06-21-2013, 16:10   #8
ignantmike

son has one....he loves it.....I...myself....can't afford a smartphone
rimfire club member #504
ignantmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 16:55   #9
Redheadhunter21

They are bulky, strong and will last about a year. After that rubber starts to get stretched out, call up otter-box and they will send you a new rubber. If you keep it in the clip the size really isn't a problem.

If you plan on sliding it into your pocket forget about it. Then start looking at life proof, much slimmer and alot easier if you plan on putting in pocket. Water proof too.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 18:31   #10
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

I have one on my iPhone and it's great. My cat knocked it off the couch onto a hardwood floor earlier tonight and it didn't hurt a thing. There's a youtube video of a kid throwing his iPhone out of a second story window onto concrete with no damage. He tests both the Otterbox and Survivor.

One thing to be aware of is these are among the most heavily counterfeited products around. Otterbox's price to distributors for a Defender is $25, so if you get one online for less than that it may be fake. I got mine at Walmart.com for $30 and it's real. Google "fake otterbox" for info.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 18:51   #11
CamoColton

I have an armor case for my phone. Only use it when I really need it otherwise I use a standard defender case or Lifeproof case. The armor case is really bulky and the screen protector floats over the screen ever so slightly making typing a little more difficult. But ultimate protection has its trade-offs and it will protect your phone like no other.
CamoColton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 19:08   #12
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

If you have to have waterproof that and lifeproof, if you have an iphone, Rokform Fuzion. Slick, aircraft metal skeletal frame. I love mine.

The Okie Corral

Last edited by GreenDrake; 06-22-2013 at 06:08..
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 19:21   #13
2bgop

I don't like them at all, I just LifeProof cases, the best I have found.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 20:46   #14
torr8966

I've had 2 life proof cases a defender and now the new armor series! I'm rough on phones and have ruined two life proof cases. I can say the new armor series is top notch!! In my opinion way better then the life proof or the defender series!! It's expensive but in my opinion worth it!! Feels like a $100 case much more then the life proof!! Don't get me wrong it's huge and rugged. Feels like a brick in the pocket but u know your phone is protected from almost anything!! Good luck!! Cheers!
torr8966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 21:01   #15
sputnik767

My personal opinion is this: nobody is that clumsy where you need to encase your slim device in a brick-sized case. The most important thing in a case is that it has adequate shock absorption and an adequate rim that goes around the front, should your phone fall face down. Having said that, the case should be slim. What phone do you have? I have personally seen my GF drop her Galaxy S3 in a Seidio rubber+plastic case from 5 feet onto solid concrete, and sustain zero damage. While the case does add some bulk, it is minimal, and does not detract from the overall look of the device. The case is essentially the same as the Otterbox Commuter case, which to me is plenty for anything you are likely to subject your phone to.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:35   #16
VC-Racing
General Flunky

My last device, a Dx, was in Otter Box Defender from the day one. I was on a platform 15 ft above the ground when I brushed the railing causing my phone to release and fall to the concrete floor below. When I retrieved my phone I inspected and found the battery has been jarred loose and had no surface damage. All I had to do was re install my battery and power the phone on and go on my merry way. That is what sold me on Otter Box. Now I have a S4 and its a lot slimmer than my Dx. I still feel confident that the OB defender for the s4 is just as good , even though it is slimmer.

Vic

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 06-22-2013, 06:38   #17
G22Dude

I have one for my work issued Iphone. I go into all kinds of crappy/hazardous environments and that phone is still working.
G22Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:05   #18
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

I have a full-on waterproof case for my iPod and a padded sleeve for my Droid X. Both have been great. Once I broke the belt clip on the iPod case. I called them to order a replacement piece. They couldn't send me a replacement clip so instead they sent me a whole new case with headphones and an arm band, completely free. Great company with great products.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:58   #19
HKUSP9SD

I asked my friend about this case on his iPhone, and he threw his phone at a wall and then fell 4 feet onto tile. Nothing happened to the phone.

I stick with ghost armor. Keeps the phone thin and scratch proof. I dont get how people drop phones so much.
Old 06-22-2013, 13:52   #20
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by edporch View Post
It's a great case.
Ditto but for my Galaxy Note 2.

The clip on the belt holster breaks easily. Save your receipt and take pictures when it breaks and Otter will send you a whole new case for free as long as it's within a year.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 14:07   #21
23LS1

I have an otterbox and haven't tried any others really. I've dropped my phone a couple times and without it the phone would have cracked. It's a good case and their customer service rocks.
23LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 15:50   #22
njl

The Otterbox Defender pretty much set the standard for phone protection. I have a friend who if someone asks him about Otterbox, will throw his Otterbox Defender encased iPhone at the floor in that person's general direction.

When I went to an iPhone 4, after a short time with the phone, I decided it needed some protection, but didn't want all the bulk of the Defender. I got an Otterbox Impact. It's basically just a little thicker and covers a little more of the phone than typical skins, but has some shock absorption built into it. It's only real drawback has been that the silicone picks up dirt and doesn't like to let it go. I dropped the phone on the floor of the car a few weeks ago, and it came up all covered in sand.
Old 06-22-2013, 15:54   #23
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Otterbox is good.
Lifeproof is even better.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 16:02   #24
Adams454

I tried an otterbox commuter on my iphone 4 and didn't like the bulk of it in my pocket. I wound up giving it away. When I got the iphone 5, I got the Speck candyshell. I have to say, it's the perfect case for me. I'm a big fan so far.

One of you turds is about to get smacked in the mouth. - Texas Ranger Bobby
Adams454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 16:25   #25
Bullwinkle J Moose
Quick! Duck!

I've had my iphone in one for two years and it has protected the gadget well from countless drops, several complete immersions and while mounted in all weather on my motorcycles' handlebars. As others pointed out, they do add considerable bulk and the tackiness of the silicon material makes it difficult at times to get in and out of tight fitting pockets.