Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-12-2013, 21:31   #61
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
right back at you hoss,

You should get your eyes check
Eyes are 20/20. Open carry is permited in Florida under certain circumstances.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 21:37   #62
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
I would love to see someone actually try that.

Not sure a LEO will buy it, & if you where in your car traveling 100miles to the keys with a open gun on your side. Could be a interesting topic in the Carry Forum.

Hope some one does something like the above, get's stop, & takes a video.

This why, GT'er can MQB your actions, and tell you how wrong it was, and that right is not always right, or can be down right painful or a expensive lesson.

And then tell us how much rights he/she has, and how much it was worth it exercising your right.

One of the Florida Open Carry Fishing demonstrations:
Carry Issues
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:02   #63
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Carry Issues

Thank you, sir, for the illustration. There have been a couple of people who've taken circuitous walking routes to get to fishing piers, one who was not even carrying fishing gear. For the overwhelming, vast majority of the times, though, the open carry fishing excursions have been quite fun and very successful.

Noway, I take it you have never participated in any of those gatherings.

And, Noway, you cite 790.053 Open carrying of weapons. as the governing statute. True, but you cannot stop there.

As fuzzy03cls posted, there is an exception here:
Quote:
790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.
(3) LAWFUL USES.The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;
Please note the key words, "going to or returning from."

You might want to go over to open carry dot org in the Florida state forum. There are many stories there about this topic. There is one gentleman that open carries daily in Florida. He goes fishing daily. They law is quite clear. You want not want to exercise your Right, but there are many Floridians who do.

Are you a member of Florida Open Carry? Are you familiar with them? They are a pretty good bunch of people.

Old 06-13-2013, 18:02   #64
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post

Thank you, sir, for the illustration. There have been a couple of people who've taken circuitous walking routes to get to fishing piers, one who was not even carrying fishing gear. For the overwhelming, vast majority of the times, though, the open carry fishing excursions have been quite fun and very successful.

Noway, I take it you have never participated in any of those gatherings.

And, Noway, you cite 790.053 Open carrying of weapons. as the governing statute. True, but you cannot stop there.

As fuzzy03cls posted, there is an exception here:Please note the key words, "going to or returning from."

You might want to go over to open carry dot org in the Florida state forum. There are many stories there about this topic. There is one gentleman that open carries daily in Florida. He goes fishing daily. They law is quite clear. You want not want to exercise your Right, but there are many Floridians who do.

Are you a member of Florida Open Carry? Are you familiar with them? They are a pretty good bunch of people.
Not going to argue with you, but seriously;" you missed this part like 2 light years back" .

I'll bold it for you since you want to drag on and look silly at going about;

We have no open carry and where it's authorized and by who is very very minor, and a car is not mention.

If you would have follow the statutes & expand it, it clearly states the referring statues that allows you to open carry and the limitations as such and where,etc.... As a everyday practice, state of florida has no open carry or let's re-word the legal way ; " it in a limited open carry or non permissive".

And your surely not openly carry in your car, which was bad advice, given by one of our GT'er members.

And yes, you need to get your eyes check.

And no, don't care for open carry ( read below ), would not open carry even it was allowed by law, and where I do carry openly; is during something like hunting @ a hunting ground, and where no one is going care one damm bit about a hog leg revolver strap to my side.

So to answer your questions in order or positioning

yes
no
no
yes
no

Don't see open carry becoming a reality in State of FLA for everyday purposes & doing just fine conceal. But to each his own.

Also one other thing that a lot of person don't realize, the open carry clause don't mean a lot in sum areas. Take you hunting,camping,fishing,etc.......

The places I hunt ,camp, and fish at, has strict local ordinances that trumps your right to openly carry. So that's going to take out almost all of the WEA/WMA, state parks, and such unless there's a season open for open carry of an firearm. You will draw attention and a citation and/or weapon seized.

I still would love to see someone challenge the law as written and jump on their bike , and bike on down to the pier with a gun strapped to their side. Let us know how well that turns out for you
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:49   #65
FLGlocker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParabellumChambered View Post
So I know that in Florida, the law states that in order to transport a firearm in a vehicle, it must be securely encased or in a Snapped holster. Would having a pistol in a kydex holster with retention be illegal since it does not literally have a snap? I am talking about in a case where an individual does not have a CWP.
I believe it has to be at least a level 2 retention. A kydex Holster using level 1 friction as its retention does not constitute an extra "step" to use firearm, therefore illegal. As stated earlier you need have 3 actionable steps before firing.

NRA Member - The fight is more crucial now than ever! Join the fight!
FLGlocker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:50   #66
FLGlocker23

Quote:
Carry Issues
I saw this on Facebook. I'm part of the open carry group. Was thinking about joining one the events. Do they still put on decent events? I saw they were in Orlando recently.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:52   #67
FLGlocker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Eyes are 20/20. Open carry is permited in Florida under certain circumstances.
I believe for civilians it's only going to, from, or during fishing, camping, or hunting is open carry legal in Fl. And only to CCW holders

Old 06-14-2013, 12:00   #68
FLGlocker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
Just to reiterate ... a CCW/CWP is of no relevance to carrying a firearm in your vehicle, but NOT concealed on your person.
Actually if you have a CCW you can carry in any manner in your vehicle as long as its concealed. Even sitting on your lap covered by shirt. As long as its concealed. Concealed doesn't mean has to be on you. You can have a gun in a jacket pocket sitting on your chair (although very stupid) is legal

If no CCW, fl law allows you to have firearm in your vehicle as long as NOT ON PERSON and

Old 06-14-2013, 12:02   #69
FLGlocker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParabellumChambered View Post
Thumbs up to this answer. But in your opinion, would a Serpa duty holster qualify as "snapped" or "securely encased" being that it has a button that must be pressed in order to remove the pistol?
It's a mechanism securing gun in holster and is required action to draw it so yes it is.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:04   #70
FLGlocker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Williams View Post
My paperwork has been sent in for six weeks now for my CCP. A friend of mine took 15 weeks to get hers. From Jan to end of March this year Florida has had 30000 people apply to get their CCP. Simply amazing.
Be prepared for the wait buddy. Mine took 99 days till I finally received it

Old 06-14-2013, 13:31   #71
RussP

Quote:
Not going to argue with you
Thanks...

But I must ask...

You put this in bold...
Quote:

We have no open carry and where it's authorized and by who is very very minor, and a car is not mention.
I emphasized "a car".

You go on to say...
Quote:
If you would have follow the statutes & expand it, it clearly states the referring statues that allows you to open carry and the limitations as such and where,etc.... As a everyday practice, state of florida has no open carry or let's re-word the legal way ; " it in a limited open carry or non permissive".

And your surely not openly carry in your car, which was bad advice, given by one of our GT'er members.

...which, I guess is more referencing to open carry in a car, I cannot tell.

Yet you close with...
Quote:
I still would love to see someone challenge the law as written and jump on their bike , and bike on down to the pier with a gun strapped to their side. Let us know how well that turns out for you
Why did your challenge change to a "bike"?

And, is that a bicycle "bike" or a motorcycle "bike"?

Old 06-14-2013, 16:57   #72
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGlocker23 View Post
I saw this on Facebook. I'm part of the open carry group. Was thinking about joining one the events. Do they still put on decent events? I saw they were in Orlando recently.
Yes, they do. I don't have the skinny on their info and am not sure if I'm allowed to link to sites on Glocktalk so you'll have to Google for it, but they put on events somewhat regularly.

I'm don't personally choose to exercise the right to open carry unless I have an actual reason to do so - usually only when I'm hunting - so I haven't participated in the events, but I've kept up with these events and they've always gone very smoothly. I wouldn't hesitate to join in if thats your cup of tea.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 23:16   #73
BossGodfrey

Quote:
Not going to argue with you, but seriously;" you missed this part like 2 light years back" .

I'll bold it for you since you want to drag on and look silly at going about;

And no, don't care for open carry ( read below ), would not open carry even it was allowed by law, and where I do carry openly; is during something like hunting @ a hunting ground, and where no one is going care one damm bit about a hog leg revolver strap to my side.

So to answer your questions in order or positioning

yes
no
no
yes
no

Don't see open carry becoming a reality in State of FLA for everyday purposes & doing just fine conceal. But to each his own.

Also one other thing that a lot of person don't realize, the open carry clause don't mean a lot in sum areas. Take you hunting,camping,fishing,etc.......

The places I hunt ,camp, and fish at, has strict local ordinances that trumps your right to openly carry. So that's going to take out almost all of the WEA/WMA, state parks, and such unless there's a season open for open carry of an firearm. You will draw attention and a citation and/or weapon seized.

It's guessing you are not a LEO. If you are you must work in deep south Florida ! I'm now a reserve and work 3-4 shifts per month. Make no mistake about it, under Florida law if a person wants to ride their bike 2 miles down the street to the fishing peer with a glock strapped to the hip for the world to see, it is 100% legal ! The law is very clear, Going to or from said activity" They need only two things to get by with it, a valid fishing license and fishing gear in their possession. After that law was passed last year, some guys put a fishing pole and tackle box in the trunk of their car, why, because now they can say hey deputy,I'm on my way fishing. If that happens there is NO P.C. to arrest at that point ! A man stopped at a 7-eleven a couple of weeks ago with a Ruger 1911 on his hip, three of us were standing in the parking lot when he pulled in, when he was asked why he was open carrying he told us he was on his way to go saltwater fishing in Daytona. Produced a valid gold sportsman license and had tackle gear in his jeep. Guess what, no grounds to arrest. The State Attorney has already filed several nolle prosequi on cases in seventh circuit and we don't like getting spanked by lawsuits after a precedent has been set. So yes, Florida citizens can and are walking around open carrying while going to or from said activity and it is legal to do so ! Also as to carry in a car, there is a very simple guideline, if it's not on your person, it's a good idea to have it securely encased. Strapless holsters don't cut it either.“Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.Now if the LEO is pro gun and you have a good attitude, that's not such a big deal always. That's my two cents and what I've been told by legal anyway. There will always be grey somewhere in the law !

Last edited by BossGodfrey; 06-14-2013 at 23:31..
BossGodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:51   #74
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossGodfrey View Post
It's guessing you are not a LEO. If you are you must work in deep south Florida ! I'm now a reserve and work 3-4 shifts per month. Make no mistake about it, under Florida law if a person wants to ride their bike 2 miles down the street to the fishing peer with a glock strapped to the hip for the world to see, it is 100% legal ! The law is very clear, Going to or from said activity" They need only two things to get by with it, a valid fishing license and fishing gear in their possession. After that law was passed last year, some guys put a fishing pole and tackle box in the trunk of their car, why, because now they can say hey deputy,I'm on my way fishing. If that happens there is NO P.C. to arrest at that point ! A man stopped at a 7-eleven a couple of weeks ago with a Ruger 1911 on his hip, three of us were standing in the parking lot when he pulled in, when he was asked why he was open carrying he told us he was on his way to go saltwater fishing in Daytona. Produced a valid gold sportsman license and had tackle gear in his jeep. Guess what, no grounds to arrest. The State Attorney has already filed several nolle prosequi on cases in seventh circuit and we don't like getting spanked by lawsuits after a precedent has been set. So yes, Florida citizens can and are walking around open carrying while going to or from said activity and it is legal to do so !...

And, as always, open carry is not for everyone, and most definitely everyone should not open carry, including some who do.

If you do choose to open carry, only do so when and where appropriate.

BUT, do so understanding that the when and the where may be, and in some cases often will be, very different person to person, situation to situation. What is good and right for one may be deadly wrong for another.

Open carry responsibly.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:53   #75
RussP

Quote:
Yes, they do. I don't have the skinny on their info and am not sure if I'm allowed to link to sites on Glocktalk...
Sure, you can link to their website.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:02   #76
BossGodfrey

Truth is only a small % of people look to cause problems in society. Every time a bill is passed which gives more gun freedom morons start shouting they're will be gunfights in the streets blah blah blah. I heard it years ago when Florida passed stand your ground law, heard it last year when they passed the outdoor rec carry law as we call it. Truth is a few *******s will try and abuse it here and there but the average Joe will just go on living his life, working, not looking to make trouble. I fear the the what's coming out of D.C. much more the the average gun toting Fl citizen ! I'm really not a cop hater, I believe there are more good ones than bad, but I am a very loud supporter of the US Constitution and that offends many now days and most of them are my part time coworkers !

Last edited by BossGodfrey; 06-15-2013 at 09:12..
BossGodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carry, florida, holster, snapped, vehicle