SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-07-2013, 21:03   #121
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
I was happily going along shooting my Sig P220 Carry......and loving it. Sure, my first shot wasn't as accurate as the following 7, but it was ok for self defense purposes....right? Then I shot a 1911. ****..... Now my first shot, and all the following shots were equally accurate, and the grouping was much tighter. I should NEVER have shot that 1911......it's ruined me for nearly all other handguns. Can I go back to the Sig? I shoot it from time to time, but my accuracy is going downhill with it and getting better with my 1911. I guess there's no going back. Oh yeah....I also have Glocks. Those I take to the beach or backpacking. Don't want to scratch my pretty Ed Brown.
I was thinking about it myself. I started with the 1911 back in the 70's and it took work and money to really make one stand out. I kind of pushed it aside, kept one around, but didn't "follow" what was going on because I was busy with other pursuits. I refocused on handguns a few years ago and started back with guns that performed as well as the modified 1911s of my youth. One day I discovered that I could buy a 1911, that shot as well (and some much better) than the modified ones, in the same price range as the other guns, and not that much more than I put , in 1970s dollars, into the old ones. I could get that right out of the box. Everything I wanted in 1979 that was a "custom" feature is now over the counter. Huzzzah and Hossanna's we have reached the 1911 promised land!
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 21:24   #122
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Do you own one? They're awesome..

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 06-07-2013, 21:39   #123
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post

Only if they're chambered for the .38 Super round.
Old 06-07-2013, 21:40   #124
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post

Me or the OP ?
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:05   #125
harrygunner

Didn't start with a 1911, but ended with the 1911 as my primary carry platform.

Conceals very well, better than my Glock 29. Great trigger and they have character. No love here for the generic, cookie cutter plastic models.

My 1911 is in 10mm so it holds 9+1.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:10   #126
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadel15L View Post
This is not a troll thread at all. I'm asking a simple question that I want others opinions on. Sorry I'm not a member of a 1911 forum too. The sentence about stubbornness that you singled out was meant to be a little joke at the end of the post. If you don't want to participate in this thread then don't. I'm sorry you took offense to this.
I believe I took your post as you intended.

IMHO, some people definitely do have trouble transitioning away from the 1911. The reasons are many why this is so, but I am one who did ccw a compact Colt 1991a1 (made prior to the officer's model) for a time.

The reasons I moved away from the 1911, is mainly the same as you suspect.......equivalent reliability, higher capacity, and simpler operation (no manual safety).

To my thinking, the perfect ccw will be small, light, thin, as high capacity as possible in as large a caliber as possible, simple DAO, or DA/SA, semi-automatic, magazine fed.

Compromises can be made for any of the above qualifiers.......but I won't compromise on semi-automatic, or trigger operation........no SA only, which means the 1911 is not on the list anymore.

In order to get greater capacity, smaller size, larger caliber.......I'm willing to compromise to some extent to gain advantages in other areas......but still, no compromise on simple operation, or semi-automatic.

ooc

Every once in awhile, I'll ccw my 1911a1 milspec Springfield, but not because I feel it's a better choice. When I do, it's simply a matter of respect for such a revered and classical design. It also happens to be the only handgun which I have a SOB holster......not that I can think of a single reson why the SOB would be better than any number of other holster options. (The photo shows hammer down, but normally it would be cocked and locked, round chambered.)
General Firearms Forum
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by hogship; 06-08-2013 at 04:34..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1911, concealed carry, thread title effect