GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2013, 21:00   #1
redrooster

Disappointed with Wolff K-frame spring kit.

I just purchased a Wolff Type 1 shooters spring kit for my Model 10. The first problem was that the "standard power rib" spring didn't even fit in the frame. I decided to go with the 14# rebound spring with the factory mainspring and see how that felt. The 14# spring left the trigger feeling sluggish. I understand why this happened and that it is a compromise, so I decided to bump up to the 15# spring (heaviest that comes in the kit). This felt really good and the return was better/acceptable, but it allowed a little pre-travel/creep in the DA stroke that I didn't notice with the factory spring. I can live with a little bit of creep, but overall the kit was a disappointment.

I understand that I bought the kit to try it out, but hindsight being what it is I could have saved some money and just bought the 15# rebound spring.

Anybody else have this trouble?

P.S. I'll be contacting Wolff about the mainspring not fitting. They have a great reputation and I'm sure they will correct the issue. The rebound springs is my decision/fault, so I accept the blame for that.

Last edited by redrooster; 06-03-2013 at 21:01..
redrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:13   #2
TCMod19
Save it.

Be sure you take a fine grit sand paper and sand the inside of the frame and contact points lightly till smooth. That makes a world of difference as well. I've probably done 12-15 S&W's with Wolff spring kits and never had an issue. I'm sure they'll fix it for you.

Just as an opinion, I'm not sure I change the hammer spring, IF it's a SD gun. Range Gun, no issue. JMO.
Old 06-03-2013, 23:03   #3
m2hmghb

You might have machining marks on the rebound slide or the frame that are causing the sluggish problem.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:28   #4
countrygun

I never polish the inside of the frame "completely smooth" . A gunsmith I knew in the 70's who specialized in PPC revolvers taught me the machining marks (especially in the area of the rebound spring housing) should just be leveled and the "tops of the ridges" polished. That way it works like the old "skid roads" of the horse drawn logging days. The roads would have logs placed across them like railroad ties, and the logs could be skidded on them without the added friction of 100% contact.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 18:07   #5
redrooster

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and put the factory springs back in and polished/stoned the bearing surfaces of the rebound slide and the double action surface of the trigger and it made a huge difference. The action has smoothed out significantly and I've definately noticed less stacking. I think I'll just stick with the factory springs as this will be used for house duty.
redrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 18:39   #6
TCMod19
Save it.

Glad to hear it, good job. Enjoy the Model 10.

Last edited by TCMod19; 06-04-2013 at 18:42..
TCMod19 is offline   Reply With Quote