We are certainly far afield from the original question, but I was surprised to see this thread still at the top of the list, after not checking in for weeks. It seems the consensus is that "DHS is not hoarding ammo, this is just normal." Interesting.
This one made me chuckle:
Originally Posted by tenforme
Striking similarities between Obama and Hitler
- are you kidding, what bubble do you live in....Please do yourself a huge favor and learn some history before you embarrass yourself any further...
Here are a few things that are in the historical record about Hitler:
- Primary talent was as an orator--otherwise he had a very thin resume for leadership.
- Believed in a single party; one of his primary goals was to eradicate competing parties.
- Bridged his ignorance of governance by substituting a strong ideology.
- Engineered his entrance to power with an army of acolytes, including domestic terrorists (the “brown shirts” or SA), who praised his name at every opportunity
- Was an ardent socialist; a national socialist (not an international socialist).
- Hated capitalism, but played the capitalists for fools.
- Was abandoned by his father.
- Believed that a strong, powerful intrusive central government was the answer to…well, virtually everything. (The replacement father?)
- Was comfortable with state ownership of large corporations.
- Used the unions to gain power.
- Came to power by taking advantage of a severe financial crisis.
- Targeted the banking industry directly.
- Had a virtual stranglehold on the national press…only supportive stories appeared.
- German journalists by-and-large admired Hitler; they gave him good press because they loved him, and covered for his errors or omitted embarrassing stories.
- Hitler kept his base loyal by promising them entitlements.
- Targeted internal “national” enemies for the population to hate (in his case, jews & slavs).
- Tried to portray himself as a good Christian, but in fact tended toward atheism.
- Was fond of the “big lie” as a propaganda technique: if you say it often enough, people will eventually believe it.
- Inflamed his audiences with the inequality between the poor (the German masses) and the “rich” (the Jewish bankers).
- Played the part of the suffering victim.
- Was personally quite wealthy, but hid that fact from public view.
- Lavished political favors on his faithful top tier of supporters.
- Valued personal loyalty in his staff above all else -- even above knowledge or wisdom.
- Used “bullying” and “intimidation” techniques to silence or convert critics.
- Originally very popular with homosexuals (in the early days, homosexuality was dominant in the Sturmabteilung). That changed after the Night of the Long Knives and the homosexual community became another ‘enemy’ for Hitler.
- Upended traditional German laws and made his own.
- Kicked off his political career with a ghost-written book about himself.
- Changed his name so it was more fashionable.
- Directly targeted the youth for indoctrination.
- Invented his own unique salute.
- Banned guns.
- Nationalized healthcare.
- Didn’t like Jews as a people (but was OK with a few individually).
- Sympathetic toward environmentalism and vegetarianism.
- Considered himself a “progressive,” designing the future.
- Was very friendly with other despots and dictators around the world.
- Became personally angry if anyone opposed him.
- Considered himself the “savior” of his country, which needed "transformation." A very strong messiah complex.
I also noted there were vast differences; here are just a few, and there are of course many more:
- Hitler hated communism.
- Hitler admired his predecessor.
- Hitler despised blacks.
- Hitler didn't marry and had no children of his own (that we know of).
- Hitler had military experience and admired the military.
- Hitler was militarily aggressive.
- Hitler didn't rely on a teleprompter.
- Hitler had a little mustache. And so on.
So I repeat: Obama does not
equal Hitler. History does not repeat itself in that manner. But it's not yet illegal in the USA to notice some interesting similarities, although I'm certain the modern "brown shirts" won't like this post.
Originally Posted by tenforme
Are you aware of just how offensive such comments are to the many who lost loved ones and family in WW2?
If you are offended, then I am gratified. Nice try dragging WWII veterans into this, but...sophomoric, and completely beside the point. Sort of like most of this thread, this post included, which has *virtually nothing* to do with the original discussion.