SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:25   #201
RimfireMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Not only is the word "marriage" in the Holy Bible as far as original languages are concerned, but so too are the words/terms marry, wife, given in marriage, husband, betrothed (e.g., affianced) etcetera etcetera etcetera...

marriage-

(from Hebrew) Transliteration `ownah

(from Hebrew) Transliteration halal

(From Greek) Transliteration gamos

(From Greek) Transliteration gamizō

(From Greek) Transliteration ekgamizō

(From Greek) Transliteration ekgamiskō
marry-
(from Hebrew) Transliteration yabam

(from Hebrew) Transliteration 'ishshah

(from Hebrew) Transliteration ba`al
wife-
(from Hebrew) Transliteration : ishshah
The list goes on and on and on and on...
That's nice but the actual word "marriage" never showed up until it was translated into English. Some people seem to forget that English is not "God's language".

The concept of "marriage" predates the bible so it is still a mute point. The concept was already well defined long before the bible was written.
RimfireMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:38   #202
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimfireMan View Post
That's nice but the actual word "marriage" never showed up until it was translated into English. Some people seem to forget that English is not "God's language".

The concept of "marriage" predates the bible so it is still a mute point.
The concept was already well defined long before the bible was written.
(de-emphasis and emphasis mine)

I'm still waiting for proof of this assertion from someone else. To reiterate, my contention is that marriage is a Biblical construct (e.g., Gen 3:20 KJV). I studied it out (i.e., read all I could find on topic) for a few months and could not find a secular mentioning of marriage prior to the Holy Bible mentioning it as occurring ~6000 years ago.

If you'd like to give it a shot, please give me a source or citation if you have one. Thanks...
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 05-28-2013 at 08:38..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42   #203
Lampshade

Quote:
I'm still waiting for proof of this assertion from someone else.
I guess googling "history of marriage" and scanning the first page of results is too great an obstacle for you to overcome.

I'll even get you started with this convenient hyperlink... www.google.com

Last edited by Lampshade; 05-28-2013 at 08:43..
Lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:49   #204
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
I guess googling "history of marriage" and scanning the first page of results is too great an obstacle for you to overcome.

I'll even get you started with this convenient hyperlink... www.google.com
As I said, I am still waiting for a source or citation. Run along now and let the adults speak.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
Old 05-28-2013, 08:51   #205
RimfireMan

Quote:
(de-emphasis and emphasis mine)

I'm still waiting for proof of this assertion from someone else. To reiterate, my contention is that marriage is a Biblical construct (e.g., Gen 3:20 KJV). I studied it out (i.e., read all I could find on topic) for a few months and could not find a secular mentioning of marriage prior to the Holy Bible mentioning it as occurring ~6000 years ago.

If you'd like to give it a shot, please give me a source or citation if you have one. Thanks...
You see, I highlighted your problem. You consider something secular if it is in the bible. The concept of "marriage" in a much broader sense predates the bible. The bible is not the final word on history. As far as religions go, the Christianity is rather young. You should do a little basic research on the anthropology of marriage. I could give you sources but I suspect you would not look at them so just go find your own. I really isn't difficult with Google.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:53   #206
RimfireMan

Quote:
As I said, I am still waiting for a source or citation. Run along now and let the adults speak.
Start here, unless you are just too lazy.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hist...=1605&bih=1023
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12   #207
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Start here, unless you are just too lazy.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hist...=1605&bih=1023
I am asking for a specific recorded incident, mentioning, or example of marriage occurring prior to that mentioned in Gen 3:20 (KJV).

wiki placed it from between 20,000 years ago and 4 million years ago.

How??????? Pure conjecture!

[13]^ Gordon AD, Green DJ, Richmond BG (2008). "Strong postcranial size dimorphism in Australopithecus afarensis: Results from two new resampling methods for multivariate data sets with missing data". Am J Phys Anthropol 135 (3): 311–328. doi:10.1002/ajpa.20745. PMID 18044693.

(emphasis mine) ^^^ ~20,000 years ago based on fossil finds which no one can say for sure had any progeny at all and much less could state marriage existed or was formally instituted.

great cite...

[14] ^ Dupanloup I, Pereira L, Bertorelle G, Calafell F, Prata MJ, Amorim A, Barbujani G (2003). "A recent shift from polygyny to monogamy in humans is suggested by the analysis of worldwide Y-chromosome diversity". J Mol Evol 57 (1): 85–97. doi:10.1007/s00239-003-2458-x. PMID 12962309.

^^^ ~4 million years ago. PUHLEASE... Using today's "y-chromosone diversity" to back-extrapolate the beginning of monogamy? You honestly want to stand by this one?

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 05-28-2013 at 09:13..
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30   #208
RimfireMan

Quote:
I am asking for a specific recorded incident, mentioning, or example of marriage occurring prior to that mentioned in Gen 3:20 (KJV).

wiki placed it from between 20,000 years ago and 4 million years ago.

How??????? Pure conjecture!

[13]^ Gordon AD, Green DJ, Richmond BG (2008). "Strong postcranial size dimorphism in Australopithecus afarensis: Results from two new resampling methods for multivariate data sets with missing data". Am J Phys Anthropol 135 (3): 311–328. doi:10.1002/ajpa.20745. PMID 18044693.

(emphasis mine) ^^^ ~20,000 years ago based on fossil finds which no one can say for sure had any progeny at all and much less could state marriage existed or was formally instituted.

great cite...

[14] ^ Dupanloup I, Pereira L, Bertorelle G, Calafell F, Prata MJ, Amorim A, Barbujani G (2003). "A recent shift from polygyny to monogamy in humans is suggested by the analysis of worldwide Y-chromosome diversity". J Mol Evol 57 (1): 85–97. doi:10.1007/s00239-003-2458-x. PMID 12962309.

^^^ ~4 million years ago. PUHLEASE... Using today's "y-chromosone diversity" to back-extrapolate the beginning of monogamy? You honestly want to stand by this one?
So, did you actually track those articles down and see what they say or are you just spouting off out of pure ignorance?

Come back and play when you can make an educated response.
Old 05-28-2013, 14:53   #209
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Quote:

The concept of "marriage" predates the bible so it is still a mute point. The concept was already well defined long before the bible was written.
LOL, you were doing well until you said it was a "mute" point!
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 15:18   #210
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halojumper View Post
LOL, you were doing well until you said it was a "mute" point!
I couldn't hear it at all. He's right. It's mute.
But the rest of you, especially the rest of you under 30, wake up. The day is approaching where the media will redefine what is right or meaningful, redefine you as meaningless...And you'll believe it.
aplcr0331 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marriage, minnesota, scary gays!