Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-23-2013, 15:11   #1
clarson_75

looking for a light.

Not that long ago I changed my 23 out for a 20sf. Last week the flashlight that I edc died. I was wondering if anyone made a flashlight that snaps into place on the rail. I was hoping to find something that I can carry in my pocket or on my belt, since I use the light a lot. Then if I needed to could just slide onto the rail of the 20 to have both my hands on the gun.

This nation is lead by a government that doesn't care what the law is and filled with a majority of people that don't care what the government does.
clarson_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 15:17   #2
Inebriated

The last thing I want to do when I'm in a situation where I need my gun, is shove my hand in front of the muzzle to put the light on.

I'd suggest learning some techniques regarding light/pistol manipulation, and do some one-handed shooting practice.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but just my couple pennies.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 20:00   #3
clarson_75

I'm not saying i want to attach the light to my gun in the middle of a firefight, but if i get home and my door is kicked in I would like to be able to have a light and have both hands on the gun.

This nation is lead by a government that doesn't care what the law is and filled with a majority of people that don't care what the government does.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:09   #4
MikeG21
Not a doctor

Sorry, this kinda seems silly to me as well.

But to answer your question-

I'm not aware of any light that "snaps" on. Most lights "slide" on and are tightened. The TLR-1 is pretty easy to take on/off in under 4 seconds. Can't vouch for other lights...
Old 05-24-2013, 14:25   #5
Glockster_James
Man W/ A Badge

Send a message via AIM to Glockster_James Send a message via Yahoo to Glockster_James
Sounds like what you want is going to be a Surefire X300. You can slide on/off anytime, just need to pull down on the tab and slide off to take it off.

Having said that, many will advise that you still need to identify your target prior to pointing a loaded gun at them so a dedicated weapon mounted light may not be favored by everyone. I for one use a dedicated light at home and still have my handheld light that I carry with me and also use.

Get both a handheld and weapon mounted light and train train train.

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Glockster_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 14:30   #6
plouffedaddy

APL gets my vote---great mounting system and you can turn it on 'safe' so it doesn't activate in your pocket. Here's my review:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 17:23   #7
Gonetodarkside
owl protector

Blackhawk builds one which works in conjunction with a proprietary SERPA holster.

I have the old school Streamlight m6 on my night stand gun.
Gonetodarkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 22:28   #8
clarson_75

thanks for those examples. they both look like they will work. Glockster James, i'm not looking for a dedicated pistol light. like i said before, i want something with a quick attachment so i can carry it in my pocket and use it when i need it. If a situation would ever arise where i felt the need to draw my gun, i could just snap it on the rail and keep both hands on the grip.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:52   #9
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

Not much use for a mounted light for ccw. If you use one, have a dedicated light, such as a tlr-1. Mounting a light to a loaded gun under stress equals fail. If you have that much time, you probably need a cellphone more than a gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarson_75 View Post
Not that long ago I changed my 23 out for a 20sf. Last week the flashlight that I edc died. I was wondering if anyone made a flashlight that snaps into place on the rail. I was hoping to find something that I can carry in my pocket or on my belt, since I use the light a lot. Then if I needed to could just slide onto the rail of the 20 to have both my hands on the gun.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 13:19   #10
Glockster_James
Man W/ A Badge

Send a message via AIM to Glockster_James Send a message via Yahoo to Glockster_James
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarson_75 View Post
thanks for those examples. they both look like they will work. Glockster James, i'm not looking for a dedicated pistol light. like i said before, i want something with a quick attachment so i can carry it in my pocket and use it when i need it. If a situation would ever arise where i felt the need to draw my gun, i could just snap it on the rail and keep both hands on the grip.
Didn't mean dedicated as in permanent attached. Dedicated as in that's the purpose of a weapon mount light, designed to be weapon mounted, not hand held, though it can be used that way (hence the reason I suggested what I did). If you research the Surefire X300 you'll find that it's one of the best slide on/off lights out there. TLR series are great too for the money, but you've got to tighten them down (using up even more time in a gun fight). Never tried the one from Blackhawk because for the money you can get better and brighter lights.

For what it's worth, there is a reason people run their guns with a light attached constantly or they use a hand held light instead.

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Glockster_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:07   #11
Mr. S

I have never used this personally but it looks like what you are looking for.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=RLS
Mr. S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:34   #12
RayB
Retired Member

Glock has long offered a magazine floor plate with a ring for mounting a flashlight...

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...dTitle=Factory Original Glock Model 17 10 Round Magazine with Bottom Flashlight Adapter

I suppose, you could dedicate one magazine for bedside duty.

I have no issue sweeping an intruder with my weapon mounted light. If it ain't the wife or the dog, it don't belong here!

Besides, you can flash-light an entire room by skipping the beam off the ceiling.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light