Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2013, 13:11   #201
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I'm talking retail too.

Since we both threw it up as an example, let's go with factory (not reloaded) 9x19. Brass case.

Whatcha got?
You can still find 9mm for $12-$13/50 at some stores, Wally included. It won't be cheaper this time next year. If it is, PM me your receipt & I'll post you a box of 9mm.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-17-2013 at 13:12..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 13:37   #202
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
You can still find 9mm for $12-$13/50 at some stores, Wally included. It won't be cheaper this time next year. If it is, PM me your receipt & I'll post you a box of 9mm.
I haven't seen ammo at Walmart since 2012. A lot of other people haven't, either. (except a few bolt action cartridges and maybe some shotshells)

And there is a (very small) limit.

But, hey, it seems that you can buy all you want at Walmart prices.

Would you mind picking some up for me? And shipping to me? I'll cover all of your expenses + a reasonable 5% profit margin. I'm looking for 500 rounds of 9x19 at the moment, though I could probably spring for 1k.

The least expensive brass case will do. Last I saw that was Federal.

Quote:
It won't be cheaper this time next year. If it is, PM me your receipt & I'll post you a box of 9mm.
What won't be cheaper than what?

You are going to have to be very specific here. What round? What price?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 05-17-2013 at 13:38..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 14:04   #203
ParisArms

When scalping stops. Hear from several reliable sources that the guy behind the gun counter at my local Wally World waits until a couple of his buddies are standing at the register before stocking ammo. Sells to them on a keep the change basis.
I have gotten ammo on there 3 box limit, only to see the remaining boxes online at twice the mark up listed in my small town the same day.
Demand drove the prices up. Supply will keep it there for a while. It took about two good years for thing to stabilize after 08. And this time it seems worst.
Even walmart has raised the prices. And QC is lacking on the stuff that is trickling in.
The only thing that hasn't really changed is the high end match stuff. That is actually a bargain all things considered.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
ParisArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 14:09   #204
5point5six

Not until after the 2014 elections, naturally depending on the results.
5point5six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 14:55   #205
Lt Scott 14

+JackMac. Your opinion is taking form today as well as the last 4yrs! This country has done an about face in regards to anything that makes our Government stay working, and pays its way.

I also have seen your feelings about the attempt to rob us all of Second Amendment rights(limiting guns, background checks, magazine capacity, etc)and I feel it is baloney.

We are arming, prepping, training, and praying not to wage an internal war within our lands, but as a hunter, retired Law Enforcement Officer, and father, I smell something coming. My LEO experience has taught me "Spidey Sense", and it is not good for right now. Best to heed your advice, get it done, it's coming.

Tried to explain this to my Brother In Law, he is overwhelmed with Electronic Trivia toys(cell phones, sat TV, "Call of The Wildman"), buys for today only, no backup, barely has a flashlight(no spare batterys). He is a hunter, but is missing the point. You won't have a store within 20 miles open if the country takes a dump. It's on you, and only you to make things happen.

Don't want to see anything occur, again praying for peace and the positive outlook for my life. My rural living style never meant carrying a 1911A to go get a gallon of milk till the last five years or so. So, I do, and stay mum and still say "please and thank you, and "Yes Sir/Maam" as my parents taught us. Good Luck Texan, you have a Hoosier with you!
Old 05-17-2013, 15:31   #206
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point5six View Post
Not until after the 2014 elections, naturally depending on the results.
That's right - I'll vote GOP for sure.
Old 05-17-2013, 16:31   #207
fredj338

Quote:
I haven't seen ammo at Walmart since 2012. A lot of other people haven't, either. (except a few bolt action cartridges and maybe some shotshells)

And there is a (very small) limit.

But, hey, it seems that you can buy all you want at Walmart prices.

Would you mind picking some up for me? And shipping to me? I'll cover all of your expenses + a reasonable 5% profit margin. I'm looking for 500 rounds of 9x19 at the moment, though I could probably spring for 1k.

The least expensive brass case will do. Last I saw that was Federal.

What won't be cheaper than what?

You are going to have to be very specific here. What round? What price?
Ok, the ubiquitous WWB or Federal 9mm/50, you pick, I rarely buy factory. Cheaper than established retail or best discount single box price today. So not JimmyJohns overpriced or your best friends good guy discount.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-17-2013 at 16:32..
Old 05-17-2013, 16:36   #208
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
That's right - I'll vote GOP for sure.
Anyone that votes otherwise, good candidate or not, might as well turn in their guns as you are essentially voting for the liberal candidate by default, same for staying home. Some don't get that but the result is exactly the same.
Old 05-17-2013, 18:15   #209
plp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMac View Post
Short answer, it wont. It is as cheap today as it will ever be. In case you haven't noticed we are at war. Our leader, via FEMA, ordered/purchased 1.6 billion rounds of ammo, ordered/purchased 2700 armored vehicles, fast and furious cover up, releases thousands of deportable alien criminals amongst us, ordered/purchased 7,000 AR platform rifles, but they called them Personal Defense Weapons, not assault rifles, and now with Bengazi and the IRS and the AP scandals, we are doomed. I heard 35 states have pending lawsuits against the US government, and on top of all this pile of manure, we have a horrible economy. Almost as if history is about to repeat itself over state's rights. Our leader has amassed an armed, standing army, aka FEMA, just waiting on an order from above declaring martial law. Say your prayers and prepare to defend yourselves ladies and gentlemen. The game has changed.
As goes my county sheriffs, so go I. I would rather live in a Rictatorship than with Obamunism.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 00:02   #210
Cirdan

I've never seen 9 mm at Walmart. Nothing but bare shelves.

Got luck at Big 5 today, Remington UMC @ $18.99 for a 50 round box.
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 17:07   #211
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Ok, the ubiquitous WWB or Federal 9mm/50, you pick, I rarely buy factory. Cheaper than established retail or best discount single box price today. So not JimmyJohns overpriced or your best friends good guy discount.
Okay...so currently available...what's the best price? Where?

Let's get this started.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 05-18-2013, 19:18   #212
fredj338

Quote:
Okay...so currently available...what's the best price? Where?

Let's get this started.
Well I imagne Wally has the best price in most locations. Around here, your lucky to find ANY ammo @ ANY price, so I will hve to look, you do the same.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:44   #213
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Well I imagne Wally has the best price in most locations. Around here, your lucky to find ANY ammo @ ANY price, so I will hve to look, you do the same.
It isn't my turn to look.

I'm not sure you understand how this works.

Do you know what the word "available" means? It means it can be purchased. Right now.

Not an empty shelf.

Last edited by Warp; 05-19-2013 at 08:44..
Old 05-19-2013, 11:12   #214
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
...Do you know what the word "available" means? It means it can be purchased. Right now...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=341365643
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:53   #215
newgene

Guys, right now, ammo is NOT available to just walk in and buy on the shelves in the big box stores. I am finding LGS's, however, do have ammo. The LGS on average are at least 25% higher than the Walmarts and Academy. People just don't want to pay the higher price in excess, so they leave some on the shelf. At wal-mart, if they see a desired caliber, they will call their wives, friends, co-workerst, etc. until it is gone. It's just that simple. There is a mentality right now to buy to the max on everything at the cheaper stores.

For example, let's take the 9mm 50 count Federal rounds as a benchmark. This is what you have:

Wal-mart -- $12 plus tax
LGS (my local) -- $16 plus tax
Academy -- $14 plus tax
Online sellers (gunbroker, armslist, or any local add) -- $20
Gun shows -- $20

Right now, the cheap guys are wiped out, but I can go into the LGS, more often than not, and see the $16 boxes. For me to buy 100 rounds from them, I am looking at $35 for 100 rounds out the door. To get the cheap walmart ammo, you really have to catch them in the evening when it first comes off their trucks. To get the cheap Academy ammo, you have to get their on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday at 8:00 AM when they open. There is no other way around it. Right now, it is not an ammo shortage. It is a few people in a panic frenzy, and a group of folks who are turning a profit by waiting in line at the big box stores and then dumping it online or at a gun store for a profit.

It's similar to a market bubble. These guys are dumping money in as long as the panic is here. Until this stops, their supplier (wal-mart, academy, etc.) will keep them in business, and the consumer is left to buy the market price ammo. I simply will not spend over $30 for 100 rounds of 9mm target ammo. So, I will buy my boxes from the cheap if and when I stumble on it. Lucky for me, I pass a WM on my way home from work every day right at the time the ammo comes off the truck. I'm in a fortunate situation for cheap ammo. Today is Sunday and I am not even attempting to go to Bass Pro Shops, etc. and look for any potential ammo on the shelves because I absolutely will not find it at any reasonable price.

BTW, I do see the Tula steel cased crap staying on the shelf at wal-mart. I have bought a bunch of it in .223 because it was $5/box. However, I'm probably going to start turning it down soon. I really need .223, but I need it for reloading. 2 months ago, you couldn't find any type of .223 round to save your soul.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:54   #216
Cirdan

Still nothing at any Wal Mart, but Cabela's had full shelves of handgun, including over 1,000 rounds of 9mm.

I'm stocked up for a few range trips, so no more "hoarding" for me. And no more Tul.
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:15   #217
Chesafreak

What ammo shortage? My LGS always has .40 S&W on the shelves at the same prices as before the supposed shortage. If you're one of those "it's too snappy" 9mm loving types, then you've got a problem.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:18   #218
G27GenFour
American

Well from what I've read here, it would appear to me that our government's recent entry into this market at an apparently unprecedented level would be a huge factor in the current short supply of handgun ammo. And of course, if thats accurate, it opens up a whole Pandora's Box of speculation on motive. Do we have facts on this, or am I supposed to take what I read "with a grain of Internet salt?"

Last edited by G27GenFour; 05-19-2013 at 12:19..
G27GenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 13:21   #219
dougader

Small shop in town has most everything, but at high prices. I walked out. Who's to say if it's gouging? He may very well have had to pay high prices to keep it on his shelves. But $44 for 50 rounds of 45 fmj is too rich for my blood.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 16:19   #220
newgene

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
Small shop in town has most everything, but at high prices. I walked out. Who's to say if it's gouging? He may very well have had to pay high prices to keep it on his shelves. But $44 for 50 rounds of 45 fmj is too rich for my blood.
Yeah, dude. Don't pay that. They are getting their ammo from suppliers, and there is no way they paid that. If I owned a gun shop and had to pay that kind of price to keep my shelves stocked, I would camp out at walmart and call 6 friends every time ammo came in. And then, I would have something for my customers to buy when they come in to buy other stuff. It would also go far to keep customers happy, even if it is one box. If my LGS would have a limit one box to routine faces, I would be more than happy with that, and I would buy even more other stuff from them. But if I have to pay almost a hundred bucks for 100 rounds of .45 fmj, I would seriously consider if I ever shopped there again.

Through all this, there are quite a few places that will never get my business again. I never ordered from cheaper than dirt, but that's one place that will never in the future either.

I have already provided ammo to friends at work recently at the same price I paid. Right now, even if it is a caliber or amount I don't need, I pick it up and just get it for friends. I have passed on additional stock of 9mm to pick up 380 and 40 for friends. Ammo will be back soon, and nobody will need to come to me for it. I'm also not doing anything special. I'm just checking one place on my way home from work. The only times I call the wife or family is if there is a good supply of something rare.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 20:58   #221
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
In that case...links to the best priced currently available cases + primers + bullet + primers.

Old 05-19-2013, 21:19   #222
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Well, it's been over 24 hours since this, and days since we started. It looks like I will win by default because there isn't ANY 9x19 available and in stock right now.

Or I'm going to get to select the opening price myself, and I think I'll be able to beat whatever price I select later this year.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:32   #223
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan View Post
I've never seen 9 mm at Walmart. Nothing but bare shelves.

Got luck at Big 5 today, Remington UMC @ $18.99 for a 50 round box.
Same here at the Walmart in West Lebanon, NH.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 05-20-2013 at 08:33..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:22   #224
BobPistol

Maybe in 2017. MAYBE.
BobPistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 13:00   #225
fredj338

Quote:
Well, it's been over 24 hours since this, and days since we started. It looks like I will win by default because there isn't ANY 9x19 available and in stock right now.

Or I'm going to get to select the opening price myself, and I think I'll be able to beat whatever price I select later this year.
Now I know why you go by WARP. If neither of us can find ammo to price how is that a win? I have very few gunshops within an hour of me, I am not driving all over hell to prove you wrong next year. If I find some ammo, then I will take a pic & send you the price, I don't buy factory unless forced to.