Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2013, 14:10   #241
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
And when putting stuff away, discovered three new GI 30-rounders that I didn't even know I had; new except for having magpul followers installed. So (thanks to karma...?) I still have as many 30's as I thought I did before giving him those.
Amazing how things turn out! Congrats!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 14:16   #242
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
1800lbs of rice otw,I love my grocer.'08.
Nice!

How do you store yours?

Old 05-19-2013, 16:14   #243
FAS1
GT Sponsor

I made a prototype handgun safe for use with a suppressed handgun.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"The Fast and Secure One"
Link to Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FAS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 17:11   #244
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
I made a prototype handgun safe for use with a suppressed handgun.

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Nice!

Old 05-19-2013, 20:34   #245
FAS1
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
Nice!
Thanks.

"The Fast and Secure One"
Link to Facebook:
FAS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 00:41   #246
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Nice!

How do you store yours?
3ga buckets.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 17:00   #247
SRT76

Saw this at a local nursery. Thought it was a great repurpose of something we see lying around all the time. Cheap and efficient use of space. I know we have some gardeners here. Full sun plants on the outside and shade in the middle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1369090787.793445.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	233445

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Attached Thumbnails
Survival/Preparedness Forum - Click for larger version  

Last edited by SRT76; 05-20-2013 at 17:00..
SRT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 17:21   #248
Carry16

If you have CERT in your county you might look into training through them. I was able to take a very instructive first responder course with the local fiire departments through CERT at no cost. Much better and certainly cheaper than ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratf51 View Post
I am a CPR instructor (American Heart Association), yeah, there have been some changes. More emphasis on compressions. Good move to re-certify in CPR. I really ought to find a Red Cross First Aid class myself.
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 20:56   #249
silentpoet

I have been working out 3 times a week and doing my dry fire practice 2 days a week. My dry fire practice is 300+ rounds with my pistol. A little over 300, but not much more. Takes about 30 minutes. Have an indoor range set up for dry fire. The farthest I can get is 18-19 yards. I have marks set at 3,5,7,10,15 yards. And for the 18/19 yard line I just get as far back as I can. A dry fire practice session takes about 30 minutes including taping up the target.

As far as the working out goes I am getting stronger. Not as strong as I once was, but better than when I started back. My arthritic shoulder is hurting less and letting me do more. Still some limitations though. But even there it does hurt less when I push it.
silentpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 21:19   #250
Unistat

Not really a prep, more of a bush-craft thing, but I made some char cloth and tried it out. Real simple. Now the only fire starting methods I need to check off the list are fire piston and bow drill (been working on that a while, not there yet.)

Most of my preps are on hold, even sliding backwards a little as we are using some consumables. All this is because we are saving for moving into the new house.

I keep reminding myself that the move is actually a huge prep in itself.
Old 05-30-2013, 21:40   #251
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
got into another precision rifle, my first savage. so far, it feels just as smooth as my other remington 700 but has alot more options for the same price. we will see how she shoots this weekend.

its a savage 10 FCP-SR in .308. beautiful heavy fluted barrel with AICS mags and a surefire brake.
Old 05-30-2013, 22:00   #252
Cirdan

Took my ccw class.
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:05   #253
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan View Post
Took my ccw class.
One of the best preps that you will ever do! Congratulations to you! I feel better knowing that there is another good guy walking around with gun in case one of the bad guys acts up.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:00   #254
OMDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet View Post
I have been working out 3 times a week and doing my dry fire practice 2 days a week. My dry fire practice is 300+ rounds with my pistol. A little over 300, but not much more. Takes about 30 minutes. Have an indoor range set up for dry fire. The farthest I can get is 18-19 yards. I have marks set at 3,5,7,10,15 yards. And for the 18/19 yard line I just get as far back as I can. A dry fire practice session takes about 30 minutes including taping up the target.

Try putting up different targets to the left and right and switching from target to target. Just pick a number of shots for each target (maybe 3 to 20) each round and mix up the sequence. Try different movements like moving just arms, just at shoulders, at waist, then footwork.

You can learn much about positioning before firing a real shot, kind of like cooking on a backpacking stove in the back yard before taking it on a three week trip into the back country.

(bad analogy to the whole gun thing but okay analogy to positioning)

Last edited by OMDonald; 05-31-2013 at 12:47..
OMDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 18:01   #255
silentpoet

Not much room for additional targets. The end of the range is basically in a stairwell where I can place a fullsize target. Can't go the other direction because that is where the pegboard is in the basement garage. Might be able to place some targets at a shorter range somewhere in the middle. I do have to deal with some objects so I can deal with cover/concealment possibly. I am going to add more drills and stuff, but right now I want to get the very basics down like trigger control and sight alignment. I used to be more skilled, but lost a good amount of my skill with a few years of not consistently practicing.
silentpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 18:19   #256
bdcochran

Took a 3.5 hour course. 6 students. Meant see the instructor and 5 students doing the same things. Tire repair on off road vehicles; review of use of hi lift jack as a jack and a substitute for a wrench.

Saw multiple techniques for breaking the bead on a tire. Witnessed use of rope/chains/straps on vehicle recovery.

Next classes will be on bicycle repair and maintenance.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:26   #257
quake

Me & another guy from church (a fireman from our town) took seven high-school seniors on a three-day trip to Oklahoma to help clean up tornado-struck homes in Moore and McLoud. Seeing that kind of devastation first-hand drove home the vulnerability of daily life much stronger to those boys than they ever got from seeing it on tv as they have in the past. We had some decent discussions on the way back home, about storm cellars, stored foods, hygiene & disease issues in emergency situations, etc.

The health & hygiene topic was driven home viscerally when the fireman and I were moving a refrigerator out of the remains of a house. The fridge/freezer had been closed up without power for a week or two and was about as funky inside as anything can get. While we were moving it, the freezer door popped open momentarily, giving everyone a good snoutfull, and our high-school quarterback found himself running & heaving over the porch rail.

So besides helping some folks who really need it, maybe the trip will help cement the prep mindset into the boys in a much more personal way.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:08   #258
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:

So besides helping some folks who really need it, maybe the trip will help cement the prep mindset into the boys in a much more personal way.

Thanks for your selfless service to those truly in need, helping to mend a broken community!

Last edited by LongGun1; 06-08-2013 at 03:09..
Old 06-08-2013, 21:47   #259
quake

Quote:
Thanks for your selfless service to those truly in need, helping to mend a broken community!
Appreciate it, but not truly selfless imo. I actually enjoy helping people, and I believe most decent people do to one degree or another. Plus if the experience helps make any of those kids become better prepared someday, more appreciative now of what they haven't lost, or possibly even help make them a little bit better person in general, it's something that gives me personal gratification/pleasure. And something done for the purposes of personal gratification or pleasure isn't selfless, but rather selfish in nature. At least in the way I look at 'selfishness'.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:38   #260
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
At least in the way I look at 'selfishness'.

I think you would like this most excellent book..IMO

..a lot of 'selfishness' going on with the lead characters...

..the good kind that is!

It is also available as an inexpensive download from Amazon.

As for me...

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpr...hp?f=32&t=3397

..this thread is a good percentage of my prepping effort right now.

Like a well-tended garden..

..we hope to be enjoying the 'fruits of the harvest' in the next few months & for many years to come!

Last edited by LongGun1; 06-09-2013 at 01:41..