GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:39   #1
Blue Jacket

Magazine Question for GSSF (Dawson Extensions)

I have some Glock magazines that I use for 3 gun that have Dawson Precision extended base pads on them.

Can I use these at a GSSF match, I don't see where it would provided any competitive advantage since you only load 10 anyway, but I wanted to check before I tried to use them.

Thanks
Blue Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 13:11   #2
njl

In unlimited. Otherwise it's up to the discretion of the RO. They add weight, though I assume not much. That's a possible advantage they'd give.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-16-2013, 13:42   #3
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
I have some Glock magazines that I use for 3 gun that have Dawson Precision extended base pads on them.

Can I use these at a GSSF match, I don't see where it would provided any competitive advantage since you only load 10 anyway, but I wanted to check before I tried to use them.

Thanks
As has been stated here time and again, Stock is stock with the only exceptions provided for when dealing with Pierce extensions.

So the answer is no, they are not allowed.
Old 05-16-2013, 21:02   #4
Boot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockrunner View Post
As has been stated here time and again, Stock is stock with the only exceptions provided for when dealing with Pierce extensions.

So the answer is no, they are not allowed.
The Glock + (OEM) magazine extensions are good I take??

The G26/27 mags are often sold with the + extension.

Last edited by Boot Stomper; 05-16-2013 at 21:03..
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 21:09   #5
njl

Magazine extensions made by Glock or Pearce are permitted as "stock".
Old 05-17-2013, 15:14   #6
Blue Jacket

Cool, I'll just have to reload mags a few more times.
Old 05-17-2013, 17:45   #7
mike g35

I'm using my Taylor Freelance 140mm extensions in UL. No real advantage besides I don't have to take them on and off all the time. It was my understanding that the +2 Glock and Pearce extensions were only legal in Subcompact and Major Sub. Are they actually legal in all divisions?

Old 05-17-2013, 18:38   #8
DannyR

Blue Jacket,

You will not have to reload your magazines any more times. You may only load 11 rounds in a magazine, regardless of capacity. If you use a G17 magazine with a factory #7151 base, you may still only load 11 rounds. Rules is rules!
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:50   #9
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Blue Jacket,

You will not have to reload your magazines any more times. You may only load 11 rounds in a magazine, regardless of capacity. If you use a G17 magazine with a factory #7151 base, you may still only load 11 rounds. Rules is rules!
I suspect he meant he'd have to reload them because he only has so many mags that are stock. i.e. not enough of them to shoot the whole match.

As an RO, if someone showed up at my stage with insufficient stock mags to shoot the stage without stopping to reload mags, but also had some mags with 3rd party extensions, I'd seriously consider letting them slide if there were others waiting to shoot the stage.
Old 05-18-2013, 16:23   #10
Blue Jacket

Danny, njl is correct. I wasn't looking to load past 10, though I scrounged around and found eight so it was good.

The Dayton match ran much better this year. I only waited about 20 minutes on 2 stages. The first one I just walked on.

I didn't shoot too bad.
Old 05-18-2013, 18:39   #11
DannyR

Sorry I misunderstood your reloading statement, Proves I'm still human and make mistakes.
Bull Dawg #1

DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 19:27   #12
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Sorry I misunderstood your reloading statement, Proves I'm still human and make mistakes.
Say it ain't so!!
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 19:34   #13
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
Danny, njl is correct. I wasn't looking to load past 10, though I scrounged around and found eight so it was good...
Remember that you can (and should) begin each string with 11 rounds in the gun. How you get to that start-quantity depends on you.

In 5 to Glock you can only shoot 10 rounds per string so may want to begin with 10 in that CoF.

Last edited by SARDG; 05-18-2013 at 19:35..
Old 05-18-2013, 22:50   #14
Pharaoh

Send a message via ICQ to Pharaoh Send a message via AIM to Pharaoh Send a message via Yahoo to Pharaoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
Remember that you can (and should) begin each string with 11 rounds in the gun. How you get to that start-quantity depends on you.

In 5 to Glock you can only shoot 10 rounds per string so may want to begin with 10 in that CoF.
Wrong answer sweet cakes! You should always keep the weapon charged with 11 just incase of a bad round. Yes, you will normally get one reshoot. After that rule is take it to the armorer to fix after that well you no the rules.

The Glock-M your able to keep shooting at the steel till you hit or your out of ammo.
MM Alpha Lodge #172 F&AM
Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 23:47   #15
SARDG

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
Wrong answer sweet cakes! You should always keep the weapon charged with 11 just incase of a bad round. Yes, you will normally get one reshoot. After that rule is take it to the armorer to fix after that well you no the rules.
Ahhh... but it wasn't an answer; it was an alternative. I load all my first mags within a stage to 11 and never shoot to slide-lock. Ergo, I start every string with 11 for that reason and so that the starting weight/balance of every string in a match is the same and because I need not keep my preloaded '5' mags separate from my 'M' mags. However, as you've also mentioned, reshoots are available and have become so easily available that the 'bad round' scenario need never play out.

Quote:
The Glock-M your able to keep shooting at the steel till you hit or your out of ammo.
Yep, 'M' is my favorite stage to RO because shooters are always so confused there.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17   #16
njl

Quote:

Yep, 'M' is my favorite stage to RO because shooters are always so confused there.
You really want to confuse them? Forget to tell the shooter that the steel is set not to fall.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:49   #17
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
You really want to confuse them? Forget to tell the shooter that the steel is set not to fall.

Hilarious!!! LOL

Old 05-19-2013, 10:10   #18
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post

But if steel is NOT to fall, the stage should be set with one popper. If set to fall, it should be set with three poppers.

You may remember Clearwater 2012 however, that was set with three poppers - not to fall. GSSF, not being micro-managers, didn't have the venue change it. That meant that each 'M' RO had to remind each shooter of that.

Another way to confuse shooters... start the day normally, and then go to 'wind rules' later in the day - where one popper should be locked up.
Old 05-19-2013, 15:16   #19
njl

Quote:
But if steel is NOT to fall, the stage should be set with one popper. If set to fall, it should be set with three poppers.

You may remember Clearwater 2012 however, that was set with three poppers - not to fall. GSSF, not being micro-managers, didn't have the venue change it. That meant that each 'M' RO had to remind each shooter of that.
Yeah...and I remember pausing briefly after hitting the steel thinking "I know I hit that, I should move on, but it didn't fall, I should shoot it again" before moving on and finishing the string.
Old 05-19-2013, 17:08   #20
mike g35

What about when steel falls then jumps back up? Had that happen on the plates today. I'll post a video later, it was the weirdest thing I've had happen to me yet.