Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2013, 16:58   #21
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Bad guy with a 610 and a handful of .40 brass he picked up after the LEOs practiced at the local range. Make a nice novel.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 17:04   #22
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Dang it! I was planning all kinds of stuff to put on the firing pins, Chinese fortune cookie style. Some not so nice.
Old 05-19-2013, 19:36   #23
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

A completely unworkable lib pipe dream. On its face it looks like a thin skinned effort to ban a particular class of firearms based on its "evil" characteristics.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:05   #24
minderasr
NRA Life Member

Can we just round up all these treasonous politicians and lock them up for breaking their oath to uphold and protect the Constitution of the United States? Enough is enough!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
- Juvenal
minderasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13   #25
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
Wonder what the start up costs for a business to replace micro stamping numbers with phrases would be. I have several ideas, but the only one that wont get me an infarction would be "property of Diane Feinstein."

An out of state company, of course.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:26   #26
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeedlane View Post
A completely unworkable lib pipe dream. On its face it looks like a thin skinned effort to ban a particular class of firearms based on its "evil" characteristics.
That's exactly how it works. Gen 4 Glocks are 'unsafe' because they lack the magazine disconnect California mandated in 2001. Same with all new 1911s. Even that little Ruger LCP lacks a magazine disconnect!

In the beginning, sporting rifles were banned by name (Colt Sporter SP1, etc). The manufacturers changed the names! Now they are banned by characteristics: flash suppressor, detachable magazine, pistol grip, etc.

Richard
Old 05-20-2013, 13:09   #27
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeedlane View Post
Not a thin veil at all, it's out right banning by default. The DOJ list includes all guns by finish & bbl length too. So while a ss Colt Python in 6" is legal to transfer, a 4" blue is not??? WTF does that have to do with safety issues, uh yeah, nothing.
It's what happens when you let liberal's run anything, chaos & stupidity run rampant. So please, any liberal gun owners out there, be true to your cause & turn in your guns, rely on the govt to protect you. At least then you'll be an honest liberal, if such a thing exists.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:23   #28
dwhite53

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
The vast majority of guns used in crimes are stolen. The microstamp will show who USED to own the weapon but provide no information whatsoever about who did the shooting.

Richard
Part of the liberal, anti-gun thing is that "someone needs to be held responsible for the shooting". Just like "they need to do something, anything, to reduce the killings". Doesn't have to be practical or logical, it just has to be "something".

Well, once the last legal owner of the stolen gun is found they'll want to determine how it was stolen. If it was stolen, how had it been secured? Was it reported as stolen? I sense an investigation similar to but much more thorough than a colonoscopy.If they can prove some type of negligence, WHAMO! they have someone to blame for the crime.

Shooter isn't guilty because if the previous lawful owner had it secured properly the shooter would never have gotten the gun. Case solved. "Something" has been done. The libs are happy especially as the poor, mis-guided gang-banger, is blameless.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite53; 05-21-2013 at 10:27..
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42   #29
F106 Fan

It will be many decades before microstamped guns become even a fraction of the guns around.

HERE'S THE COOL PART: The law doesn't affect the guns already on the approved roster. Well, unless a NEW gun has all the features the state requires, like a magazine disconnect among other things, it can't be sold here anyway. So, we just keep buying existing 1911s, XD's and Gen 3 Glocks; guns that are already on the list. They never need to comply!

I can envision a situation where no gun in California EVER does microstamping!

Richard
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53   #30
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite53 View Post
Part of the liberal, anti-gun thing is that "someone needs to be held responsible for the shooting". Just like "they need to do something, anything, to reduce the killings". Doesn't have to be practical or logical, it just has to be "something".

Well, once the last legal owner of the stolen gun is found they'll want to determine how it was stolen. If it was stolen, how had it been secured? Was it reported as stolen? I sense an investigation similar to but much more thorough than a colonoscopy.If they can prove some type of negligence, WHAMO! they have someone to blame for the crime.

Shooter isn't guilty because if the previous lawful owner had it secured properly the shooter would never have gotten the gun. Case solved. "Something" has been done. The libs are happy especially as the poor, mis-guided gang-banger, is blameless.

All the Best,
D. White
There was a time when face-to-face transfers could occur in California but it was a LONG time ago. As a result, the vast majority of handguns in California ARE registered with the state.

Then too, they can track the gun from the manufacturer to the distributor to the gun store to the original DROS and those have been around for quite a while. It's a slow process if the gun store has closed and the forms submitted to the BATFE. But it can be done.

If they truly wanted to track down the last owner, they could do it today. AFAIK, it hasn't happened other than to notify the owner that their weapon has been used in a crime (and probably investigate for involvement) or to return stolen guns that have been recovered. No prosecutions have occurred yet.

AFAIK, they don't even prosecute the owner of guns that little kids use to harm other little kids.

As I said in a post above, I don't foresee microstamping of ANY guns in California.

Richard
Old 05-21-2013, 13:15   #31
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
.....................As I said in a post above, I don't foresee microstamping of ANY guns in California.

Richard
I don't see it happening either and I'd bet neither do any of the demorats who're pushing this. I only see fewer guns being legal for sale in Kalifornia, because that's what the real purpose is.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 13:28   #32
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Wonder if I could make money selling ads with micro stamping?

The pause that refreshes.

Siri, where can I get a Kevlar vest?

Hollow points, they show you rally care.

If you lived here, you don't now.

Remington, straight to the point.

Enjoying Glock perfection?
Old 05-21-2013, 13:28   #33
F106 Fan

Every year, hundreds of guns drop off the roster. Most are not important. I suspect the manufacturers will now make a concerted effort to keep their guns current on the roster.

The problem is, even simple changes, like the SKU number or the color of the slide, cause the gun to be considered 'new'. It now becomes an issue of how long a manufacturer wants to continue to make a rostered gun.

Given that Gen 4 Glocks were never allowed in California (with the exception of LEOs and another highly questionable 'single shot' exemption), the topic of "How long will Glock keep making Gen 3s" is very interesting. If they discontinue Gen 3s and the state removes the LEO exception (and they plan to), there won't be ANY Glocks for sale in California, presumably a fairly large market for low cost guns.

There are a lot of permutations. I have just about all the handguns I will ever need or want so I'm not terribly concerned. Rifles, sure, I want another two or three.

A lot of people in California go over to the Reno and Las Vegas gun shows. I doubt that it is legal to sell guns to out-of-state customers but apparently it happens. Perhaps Nevada allows face-to-face sales (non-FFL). I know that CA DOJ goes to the shows to keep track of what their subjects are buying. I have only heard about one bust of someone on the way back.

You're wondering how they got to search the vehicle? Well, we have agricultural inspection stations on the way in from Nevada and Oregon. They can search for fruits and vegetables as well as whatever weapons they can see.

Richard
Old 05-29-2013, 23:54   #34
ejs54

I think a mini camera built into the guide rod with a telescoping mirror that would activate upon firing would make more sense than this.

Blah, that doesn't sound right to me either....I don't know how those libs handle their thought processes.....glad I failed at it.
, 45ACP, 300 Win Mag, .223/5.56

Last edited by ejs54; 05-29-2013 at 23:55..
ejs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 00:29   #35
oneofthose

"designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired..."

So,... does this mean the "mark of the beast" has to be transferred to the brass in at least two locations? Or, just located inside the firearm in at least two locations, and transferred to the brass in one location, i.e. the primer via the firing pin.

Anyway, a spent piece of brass found at a crime scene is worthless, unless you can match it to the BULLET. You can't do that unless you recover the firearm AND match the bullet to the barrel (and thus the firearm), assuming the bullet is recovered intact. It you can do that, it doesn't matter if it matches the brass.

Defense attorneys can easily argue that a piece of brass was recovered at a firing range and planted at the scene of the crime.

Am I missing something?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13   #36
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Sounds to me like you're exactly right. The anti's are in such a hurry to do something, they don't care if it's right/wrong, practical/impractical, or if it even solves some perceived problem. Solutions are much easier when you're not hindered by knowledge and facts.

Have to wonder, if the antonym of assault rifle is protective rifle, why don't we just call all weapons protective. Let the anti's try to get that through their alleged brains!
Old 05-30-2013, 17:59   #37
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

The sheer insanity of such a proposal leaves you shaking your head.

Not only is it technologically unworkable, but even if they managed to "serialize" firing pins, hand me a needle file set and I'll show them how it can be defeated in a matter of seconds.

Just more efforts by the gun grabbers to impede ownership with a blanket of unrealistic and insane "safety" regulations.
Old 05-30-2013, 18:06   #38
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthose View Post
"designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired..."

So,... does this mean the "mark of the beast" has to be transferred to the brass in at least two locations? Or, just located inside the firearm in at least two locations, and transferred to the brass in one location, i.e. the primer via the firing pin.

Anyway, a spent piece of brass found at a crime scene is worthless, unless you can match it to the BULLET. You can't do that unless you recover the firearm AND match the bullet to the barrel (and thus the firearm), assuming the bullet is recovered intact. It you can do that, it doesn't matter if it matches the brass.

Defense attorneys can easily argue that a piece of brass was recovered at a firing range and planted at the scene of the crime.

Am I missing something?
That is obvious but obvious never hits a liberal right. Finding fingerprints ro DNA at a crime scene means nothing if you are not in the system already. Microstamping is too easily dooped thru alteration or just leaving behind a handful of cases fired in diff guns. Not to mention the 100s of millions of non microstamped guns. IMO, never happen in my lifetime.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-30-2013 at 18:07..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 18:27   #39
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthose View Post

Am I missing something?
From how I read it they want say the primer stamped and somewhere else on the brass.

Not to mention polygonal rifling (like Glock uses) can be hard if next to impossible to match to a gun. That is why a PD in FL had notches put into their Glock barrels which marked the bullet.

That is if you put much much faith in the ability to without a doubt match bullet/case to weapon.(which I don't buy 100%)

They just want to run the cost of gun ownership up and put up more hurdles to excercise a right.

Last edited by dkf; 05-30-2013 at 18:28..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 20:45   #40
F106 Fan

Apparently the biometric lock requirement is also likely to become law. The lock would prevent anyone other than the registered owner from firing the weapon. So how do I let my wife shoot it?

This is supposed to add $50 to the cost of a new weapon.

How many shooters in California? 2 Million? I don't know but let's say that many people need permits to buy ammunition.

The permit process includes a background check and I'm not sure that the state will accept the NICS check because they already take 10 days (the waiting period) to do additional checking and they have a new law coming up to stretch that to 17 days.

The point is, how long do you think it will take an unwilling DOJ to process 2 million ammunition permits. If they do just 1000 per day, it will take 2,000 work days or about 10 years before you get your ammo permit. Better stock up now!

Getting fingerprinted like a common criminal just to register my 10/22? Yea, like that's going to happen. I'd be standing in line with the 290 registrants (sexual predators) waiting my turn at the desk.

You meet the nicest people in the booking area of police stations.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 05-30-2013 at 20:48..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote