GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2013, 17:15   #21
glockguns

I have a 590A1 - 18.5" rifle sights/speed stock. Love the gun.

I keep hearing about Mossberg's rattling compared to the tight tolerances of the 870. My 590A1 does rattle a bit more than my friends 870. But here's my question.. Wouldn't the looser tolerances operate better, with less chance of lock-up, in dirty harsh environments than firearms built with tight tolerances ? If this is true, the loose tolerances as it relates to Mossberg may have nothing to do with "perceived lower craftsmanship" and everything to do with a firearm operating under harsh conditions. Just my thoughts.
glockguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:23   #22
RutgersGrad

Send a message via AIM to RutgersGrad
I've found a lot of posts comparing the 870 to the Mossberg 500, but what about the Remington 870 Police to a Mossberg 500 HD? THE 870P will cost me somewhere in the upper 600's while the Mossberg 500 would cost in the 300's. Besides the price, is there anything the Police model has the would make it better over the 500?
RutgersGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16   #23
MStarmer
In Jail...

There are only a few components (3) difference in the 870P vs the 870 Express. The major difference being finish (the 870P is parkerized) and supposedly the police models being finished and inspected in a controlled environment (same people doing the same jobs).

I would say 870 express vs 500 or 500HD would be equal and the 870P would be closer along the lines of the 590/590A1.

As has been posted a million times, they're all good. Where do you like the safety? Where to you want the slide release? Do you like the shell lifter exposed or closed? Once you decide on the features you like then look at the models that manufacturer offers and pick.

If you want maximum versatility one of the 870's (except the Tactical model with the extended one piece tube) will fit the bill. Change barrels, the extensions, the stocks, safeties and forends. If you want the toughest defensive shotgun and aren't going to use a pistol grip or throw a longer hunting barrel on it then maybe the 590.

I look at the 590's as Glocks, tough enough to drop out of a helicopter and still work. The 870's are more like a Sig, do everything the glock does but just feels a little bit better in fit and finish and with a little different manipulation.
Old 05-14-2013, 21:26   #24
commanche1_6

Both of these guns are ubiquitous. You never know when you will run across one or the other so learn to shoot them both. Find buddies that have them and borrow for a day. Get comfortable with each (read shoot the crap out of it). Even better if you can find multiple models of the same base design. These guns come in a lot of flavors.
After you have shot them both a bit there will be one that you clearly like better. Buy it. Shoot the crap out of it.
commanche1_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 21:37   #25
PrecisionRifleman

870 all day every day...Call me biased but I like the steel receiver and the extra weight just makes it feel of higher quality. Love my 870P

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 22:02   #26
W30

Both

Tactical Shotguns
W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:39   #27
Lugi

Had both.....wanted another shotgun in the same platform, so....I sold the 870. And NEVER looked back......so 590A1 ALL DAY EVERY DAY!

Like I said have two 590a1's one 20' barrel and a 18'
Lugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:39   #28
Lugi

Quote:
Originally Posted by W30 View Post
Both

Tactical Shotguns
Nice 590!
Lugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 14:04   #29
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutgersGrad View Post
I've found a lot of posts comparing the 870 to the Mossberg 500, but what about the Remington 870 Police to a Mossberg 500 HD? THE 870P will cost me somewhere in the upper 600's while the Mossberg 500 would cost in the 300's. Besides the price, is there anything the Police model has the would make it better over the 500?
See, I think the 870P is more appropriate to compare to the 590

The 870P is definitely a notch in quality above the run of the mill 500. Is it practically any better (see the "go bang / sledgehammer" post)? Probably not.

And I feel the same about the 590 vs the 870. 590 is just a little bit more all over. Does it matter? Probably not.

Get the cheapest one you can find, or the most expensive one you can afford, that YOU like.

Last edited by Aceman; 05-17-2013 at 14:04..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:05   #30
Doug S

Quote:
Get the cheapest one you can find, or the most expensive one you can afford, that YOU like.
Yes, and yes , and that's how I ended up with this one...
Tactical Shotguns

It was available and cheap.
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having heard it. May God have mercy on your soul.
Doug S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 14:26   #31
Tvov

Son just picked up a Remington 870 12g "combo", with both bird and slug barrels. Wooden stock with checkering. Really nice! Metal is all black, even the bolt is black, which my son wanted. I know I posted earlier about some people saying the 500 is better nowadays, but I am impressed with this 870. Tight, feels great, shoots great.

I am impressed with it so far... all of 2 days! lol

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 14:44   #32
Inebriated

I prefer the 870 by a massive margin.

I actually hate the 500/590. Nothing wrong with the way it works, it's just ugly and feels cheap to me.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 19:39   #33
collim1
Shower Time!

I like them both and have owned both in the past. Got two 870's now, as much as I like the Mossberg I always seem to end up with the Remington.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 19:29   #34
punkglock
Freedom Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleDay43 View Post
I'm in the market for a shotgun and need a second opinion. For those of you have owned both of these shotguns, which one do you prefer and why? Anybody have any experience with Charles Daly?

Sent from the bluegrass state using my LG. Go Mariners!
Owned both, shot both quite a bit including adverse weather for hunting...

Personally rebuilt more 870s for 'tactical' purposes, and tend to think they are more solid guns if you're not hungup on the mossys thumb safety. Solid is good in my book, but also translates to heavier.

You can often find 870's for a steal at swap meets or gun shows, and there are a plethora of parts online. Wilson Combat for example has everything you need to make a killer 870. Midway, brownells, etc. also have a lot of replacement parts like non-mim extractors and carrier latch springs to enhance the gun.

Whatever you pick up used, just take time to rack the slide, dry fire...check the action and inspect the chamber...even better if you can take some dummy rounds and ensure everything cycles properly.

Either way you'll be a happy shooter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|

We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training. Archilochus, ca. 650 BC
punkglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00   #35
DarkLight

I prefer the Mossy 500. I have had one 18.5" with a pistol grip and currently have another 20" with a buttstock. I definitely like the buttstock version better for safety manipulation.
Spikes/PSA franken rifle 16" 300AAC Blackout
DarkLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 19:12   #36
Great dane

I own a 870, 500 and a 590a1 ms. I like the 590a1 ms the best. It's all preference IMO. Go to a gun shop and handle a few and get the one that feels right to you. They are both good shot guns and you can't go wrong with either.
Great dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:33   #37
mr00jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
I have shot both. I prefer the 500. Reasons:
#1 like the tang safety
#2 cheaper

The Maverick 88 is the best of both worlds. Safety and release in the optimum preference for everyone.

And that's a range of guns. A 590 does not compare with a stock 870. It's considerably sturdier.

Maverick is low low
870 express
870 Police

Set a budget - and in all honey, I'd feel comfortable with ANY of them. They are all great guns and highly reliable.
If you're saying that the 590 is sturdier than the 870 I am going to have to disagree. The parts of the Express that make it cheaper have nothing to do with the durability of the gun. It's still a heavy, steel-framed, tough as nails gun. Finish aside, you can upgrade the cheaper parts to Police Magnum spec for like, 50 bucks or so, could you not?

I have owned an 870 Express Magnum. I gave it away to somebody and replaced it with an 870 Police Magnum. Just my experience and opinion.

I'm sure the Mossberg 590 is a great gun, but people on the internet really knock the Express like it comes with the black plague and will rust if you look at it funny. Keep it oiled and break it in and you will have a gun for multiple lifetimes.
Old 06-11-2013, 20:35   #38
Eric2340
Infidel :)

I can tell you this from experience when I was looking between the two -

The 870 has a better location for the safety (the safety is just behind the trigger) IF you are going to use either a "tactical" stock or a pistol grip (like this ------>)

Tactical ShotgunsTactical Shotguns

That said, it is NOT that it can not be just as easily used with a conventional stock also....

I've been "told" with a CONVENTIONAL stock, that the Mossy supposedly has a better location (on the top of gun, above where your hand goes).

Personally, I have no issue using either with a conventional stock, but it is obvious w/ a pistol grip or tactical stock the 870 makes more sense, and the Mossy "appears" to be faster where it's is with a conventional stock (or again, so I am told).

There were two other issues between the Mossy having a double ejector or something like that? (or maybe it was the 870, I can't remember now) and then there was another issue also I believe with the Mossy being less prone to jamming b/c of it's little plate you push up to load shells in vs the 870s (or also got this backwards too, it's been so long I can't remember when I was choosing between the two???).

The one thing I CAN say for sure is after having an 870 with both a "tactical" Speedfeed stock (like the first one pictured) and then later a Knoxx Stock (now owned by Blackhawk - see second picture) if I had to do it again I would stick with a convention stock b/c that "seems" to handle better, but that COULD also just be ME and what "I" am more comfortable too. Others will have to chime in on this with their experiences.

If I ever do it again (I sold mine to buy a Mini-14 b/c the old lady couldn't handle 870's kick and I didn't have to worry about her having to stuff more shells in it vs a 20 round mag ) I'd probably try the Mossy to see how I'd like it before I'd just pass over it. That said, I'd have NO reservations getting another 870 either if I decided I wanted another one.

HTH

Last edited by Eric2340; 06-11-2013 at 20:37..
Eric2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:26   #39
PAGunner

I'm not sure why everyone makes a big deal about safety location with the mossberg & tactical stocks. I have knoxx gen 1 and gen 2 on my 500 & 590 respectively, it's not a big deal. The safety location of the 870 is just goofy, but to each their own. My pumps stay cruiser ready anyway.
Old 06-24-2013, 20:19   #40
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I like 870 better...but for You it may be the other way around.
For me 870 points better, has slicker action and just feels more solid. I don't recollect having even a single problem with any 870 that I ever handled.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote