Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2013, 14:57   #1
TheGuyWho

My serious weapon light dilemma

I have been seriously looking into buying a weapon light for my G22. Its come down to the TLR 1 or the Inforce APL. At this point my main concern is the light output. 300 lumen LED compared to 200 lumen LED. The Inforce is less lumens but more money whereas the TLR 1 is slightly less ($20). Price isnt really the problem. The light output is what concerns me. Is an extra 100 lumens gonna make it too bright? Yeah I said it, too bright is actually a concern. Which is the main reason why Im not just going for the 630 lumen HL.

Which light is going to give me a clearer/cleaner picture? This is something I have not been able to get a good answer on by doing a bunch of research.

Has anyone tried both and compared the two?
TheGuyWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 20:46   #2
ArmoryDoc

I haven't compared the two lights but I've compared lumens. I just mounted a TLR-1 w/C4 LED which packs a whopping 300 lumens and I can tell you this, it is amazing. I've used it indoors, also worried about it being "too bright". It isn't. It puts off enough ambient light I can ID a taget without pointing my weapon at them, keeping it at a low ready. It puts out enough light that if I do use it for disorientation, it definitely packs the punch to do so. Plus, I have Streamlights fantastic warranty and customer service. You can have the other lights. It's the TLR-1 for me, without a doubt.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 22:45   #3
MikeG21
Not a doctor

^ what he said

tlr-1 ftw
Old 05-17-2013, 20:49   #4
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

One of members made this review:

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 20:58   #5
GlockPride
Glock 23

I have several TLR-1 and 1s lights. They are they way to go between your two options. There lots of holster manufacturers that will accommodate as well.

I smashed a bezel into a granite counter corner. I called and asked to buy replacement parts telling them it was my fault. They insisted that they send them for free. That's a strong statement and made me a longtime customer.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 16:40   #6
TheGuyWho

I watched that video before "HKLovingIT" its one of the reasons I started to consider the Inforce. I just wish I could see a side by side comparison of the TLR 1 and Inforce APL.

At this point I am really leaning towards the Streamlight TLR 1. Its been tested, proven, and has great customer service. Not sure I need the strobe feature. I can see its benefits, just not sure I want it on my weapon light. My handheld is 500 lumens with a strobe feature.

Thanks for the help guys. Its much appreciated to hear peoples opinions.
Old 05-18-2013, 18:23   #7
ArmoryDoc

I'm sure the Inforce is good. I KNOW the TLR-1 is.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 21:26   #8
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

As far as I'm concerned, after my experience with Streamlight (excellent customer service, very crappy product) I will never buy from them again. Inforce's offerings are new, and are looking pretty good. If you can swing it, get a Surefire, otherwise take a chance on the Inforce.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 14:24   #9
TheGuyWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
As far as I'm concerned, after my experience with Streamlight (excellent customer service, very crappy product) I will never buy from them again. Inforce's offerings are new, and are looking pretty good. If you can swing it, get a Surefire, otherwise take a chance on the Inforce.
Nothing against Surefire lights. I have several. But when it comes to weapon lights, specifically handgun lights (I have a Surefire weapon light on my AR btw) I'm just not impressed. I don't see the value for the price with a $2-300 pistol light. Plus it sticks out too far past the muzzle for my taste.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:57   #10
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

For home defense, hunting, or police use, a mounted light can be quite useful. Tlr-1
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:06   #11
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I've got a GTL 21 60 lumen s it lights up anything in pistol range, any more lumen s on a pistol is a waste in my opinion, however my hand held surefire is 300 lumen s
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:06   #12
RetailNinjitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
I've got a GTL 21 60 lumen s it lights up anything in pistol range, any more lumen s on a pistol is a waste in my opinion, however my hand held surefire is 300 lumen s
Respectfully disagree. My new TLR HL turns my 50 x 100 back yard into Las Vegas Blvd...

...at noon.

Last edited by RetailNinjitsu; 05-25-2013 at 11:07.. Reason: can't spell
RetailNinjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 13:25   #13
Glockster_James
Man W/ A Badge

Send a message via AIM to Glockster_James Send a message via Yahoo to Glockster_James
TLR-1 all the way.

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Glockster_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 17:01   #14
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

TRL1 here as well. I don't have any experience with any Inforce lights so I can't comment on them. TRLs are easier to find holsters for, don't know about Inforce.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:21   #15
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post

The Insight WX150 is an excellent weapon light as well, rivaling Surefire for quality at $100.00 less!

Here's a pic comparing the WX150's predecessor, the XTI Procyon with a SureFire X200B...

Last I examined the different brands in 2008, the Surefire and Insight models appeared to be more "hardened" than the TLR models were. Performance-wise, all three worked great! Certainly, all were plenty bright for in-home use!

--Ray

Last edited by RayB; 06-05-2013 at 17:09..
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 15:47   #16
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

I was issued insight for a while, not the current offering. After all the problems we had and the apathy from the company, we're quite happy to be using surefire.
Old 05-28-2013, 18:55   #17
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

TRL1 for the win!

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Last edited by Shipwreck-The-Sequel; 05-28-2013 at 18:55..
Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 13:33   #18
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I was issued insight for a while, not the current offering. After all the problems we had and the apathy from the company, we're quite happy to be using surefire.

Yeah, I can't speak to the long haul in the real world...

Which model were you using that failed you?

--Ray
Old 05-29-2013, 14:38   #19
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

Another vote for the TLR-1. Mine is also the most recent version with 300 lumens. What is most impressive to me is the amount of spill/flood it produces, which is really what you want if you are quickly checking rooms. You won't be disappointed.
Old 05-29-2013, 15:22   #20
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarandScotch View Post
Another vote for the TLR-1. Mine is also the most recent version with 300 lumens. What is most impressive to me is the amount of spill/flood it produces, which is really what you want if you are quickly checking rooms. You won't be disappointed.

The pic in my earlier post, as memory serves, is what you got from 150-lumens from either lamp.

You've doubled that!

These things are getting crazy bright!

--Ray