Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-03-2013, 20:49   #1
ChrisMJX

How often clean/lube?

Its been longer than I would like to admit that I've had a chance to get out to the range, and I'm just wondering, about how long some of you would think a Glock can sit without use or maintenance before it needs a drop of oil or two to keep it in best shape...?
ChrisMJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:49   #2
Michael Rye

You'll likely get a multitude of differing opinions on this, but here's mine.

I always clean and lube my guns after a range trip, but that's just me.

Now as to what you can get away with, honestly...provided that the glock was properly cleaned and lubed in the first place...you could probably put a few thousand rounds through it before doing anything else maintenance wise.

I wouldn't let it go that long, but a lot of owners out there do and don't encounter a lot of problems.

Glocks are tough and can sustain tremendous abuse and keep right on banging. I just have a thing about taking care of my stuff.

YMMV
Michael Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 14:57   #3
DonCT

If it was cleaned and lubed when put away, it's probably good to go for a few decades.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:34   #4
ashecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rye View Post
You'll likely get a multitude of differing opinions on this, but here's mine.

I always clean and lube my guns after a range trip, but that's just me.

Now as to what you can get away with, honestly...provided that the glock was properly cleaned and lubed in the first place...you could probably put a few thousand rounds through it before doing anything else maintenance wise.

I wouldn't let it go that long, but a lot of owners out there do and don't encounter a lot of problems.

Glocks are tough and can sustain tremendous abuse and keep right on banging. I just have a thing about taking care of my stuff.

YMMV
Same for me. After every range visit. Especially if shooting dirty ammo like Tula
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 19:50   #5
cciman

Cleaning and lubing with modern firearms and non-corrosive ammo is a dogmatic ritual that is way overdone. It is gun owner's lore and practice carried down over the centuries, more for superstition and comfort (ie boiling water for a baby delivery). For a Glock, and most other >1995's hand guns, it is not necessary to do it every range visit.

Probably between the 2-5k round count is a good time to do a cleaning.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 20:17   #6
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Clean and Lube "mines" once every 2 weeks....even if "they" havnt been to the range...no superstition just Love.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 20:47   #7
RumRunnerII

Clean/lube as often as you like Glock or non-Glock. What you do not want is to actually have to use your weapon & wonder "will this jam". Personally mines get cleaned/lubed once a month no matter the use.
RumRunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 21:03   #8
bigtimelarry

every 2,000 rounds is perfect
bigtimelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:06   #9
Camdenbullit52

Kinda reminds me of some of the Motorcycle sites I hang out on! Some swear by 3000 mile oil changes, the owners manual says 8000! Synthetics ....non Synthetics, Glocks are designed to be incredibly durable and reliable weapons, do what makes ya feel good and your great,great grand children will at the range with your Glock!
Camdenbullit52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:56   #10
Jim S.

Rather than try to say when a Glock should be cleaned, or how long it can sit without use I would ask this first.
Is it a target gun or a gun that you depend on to defend yourself or your home?
I shoot my carry gun a lot and I keep it perfectly clean all the time.
I have another Glock that I don't shoot much anymore and don't carry.
I'll bet it could sit in the ol gun safe for a hundred years and still come out and shoot like new.
Ever see the Glock torture test?
Old 05-11-2013, 13:50   #11
unclebob

The biggest thing is how and where the gun was stored. None of the parts on a Glock that could rust is ever lubed. The most important part that needs to be lubed is the connector and trigger bar that contacts the connector.
For long term storage of any gun is not to use any oil. Oil runs plain and simple. Where is the gun stored? If other metal things that are in the same area of the gun storage area and they rust. the gun will rust also. Some bugs like to build beds and webs in the barrel of guns.
Letís say a police department buys 100 Glocks because of a cheaper price but only issues out 75 guns. The other guns more than likely will stay in the case until they are issued. Could be years. I would bet if unless the gun was in a flood they never open the case to clean those Glocks. Those Glocks were test fired at the factory, not cleaned and put in case.
I have gone the gamete of cleaning the gun every day to when I come back from the range. Too for a Glock every couple of thousands of rounds. Except for the carry guns if I shot them they are cleaned and at least once a month cleaned. Also I shoot my carry gun very seldom. I have learned a gun even a Glock if shoot enough is going to break. Itís just a matter of when.
I would say whatever the person is comfortable with in how much or little he wants to clean guns.
GSSF Life Member
Old 05-11-2013, 13:56   #12
bigtimelarry

My carry gun once a year if i never fired it, my competition guns every 1500 - 2000 rounds.. Use TW-25 Grease and you wont have any problems.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:09   #13
Jim S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimelarry View Post
My carry gun once a year if i never fired it, my competition guns every 1500 - 2000 rounds.. Use TW-25 Grease and you wont have any problems.
You can carry a gun for close to a year and not fire it?
I practice with my carry gun a lot because one of the most important things about a carry gun is if you ever use it you had better be able to hit what you are shooting at and not some innocent bystander half a block away.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:16   #14
bigtimelarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
You can carry a gun for close to a year and not fire it?
I practice with my carry gun a lot because one of the most important things about a carry gun is if you ever use it you had better be able to hit what you are shooting at and not some innocent bystander half a block away.
So what if my Carry gun is a Glock 26 and i have 2 of them set up identical with the same sights and one I carry and the other i shoot in GSSF Sub Compact all year long.
Old 05-17-2013, 20:29   #15
Jim S.

So I would still want to shoot the one that is going to defend my life and not one that is just like it.
Hey if that is how you do it then fine, didn't mean to get ya po'd.
Old 05-17-2013, 20:38   #16
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

I went 5,000 rounds and about 18months between cleanings on my G30. I want to see how long I could go between cleaning before a jam. Nover thought it go so far.

The gun was always 100% reliable, but I have to admit, it was freaking me out a bit, so I cleaned it.

Easily the most reliable handgun gun I have ever owned.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:01   #17
tango44

Every single Saturday after my weekly range session, no matter how many rounds I shot.
FrogLube is all I use!
G26 100% reliable after 10K rounds and still counting!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 20:52   #18
VN350X10

Running joke....I clean my G34 Production USPSA pistol after every box of bullets....

Rem. 115 gr JHPT come 2000/box.

'Nuf said !

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 21:10   #19
Panhandle461

Tagged
Panhandle461 is offline   Reply With Quote