SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-12-2013, 22:18   #1
CAK

Gen4 G19 ejector fixed for duty/competition

Hi all,

I have a late 2010 manufacture Glock G19 Gen 4 that now has around 2,000 rounds through it. It came equipped with the 0-4 recoil spring assembly, "dip" extractor, and the 336 ejector. I bought it for daily carry in a plainclothes assignment and it has served me extremely well. I have carried G19s for over 20 years and I trust in the system completely. For a couple of years I did not pay much attention to the reported Gen 4 problems such as failures to extract and brass to face; this was because my Gen 4 was completely reliable. (It still is completely reliable as I have never experienced any failures to extract or type 2 malfunctions).

It wasn't until February, 2013 that I watched Twang and Bang's great video documenting his issues with a Gen 4. I went to the range with 100 rounds of Winchester 124gr FMJ and soley watched the ejection patterns. General Glocking

I was astonished to see that my reliable Gen 4 was ejecting spent casings in the "sprinkler" pattern. Five of the spent casings either hit me in the head or dribbled onto my forearm. Even more interesting was that HST and Ranger loadings in 124gr and 147gr ejected just fine as did Winchester 147gr FMJ.

I pulled the extractor and used an Arkansas stone to polish the top and bottom and then followed up with a Dremel polish. This only resulted in a slight perfomance increase when using the 124gr FMJ. I experimented around with LCI and non-LCI spring loaded bearings and did notice better ejection patterns with the non-LCI bearing.

Eventually I received a late-production "dip" extractor from the PNW Glock LE rep, the 30274 ejector and the 0-4-3 recoil spring assembly. I noticed that the new extractor moved a bit roughly in the slide channel so I did a polish with the stone and Dremel until it moved smoothly.

General Glocking

LCI bearing range experiment- I installed the standard LCI spring loaded bearing and the ejection pattern with Ranger 147gr RA9T was perfect. I had high hopes for the 124gr FMJ but they were dashed with two out of 100 hitting me in the head.

non-LCI bearing range experiment- I installed the non-loaded-chamber-indicator spring loaded bearing and repeated the experiment. The Ranger was now ejecting very forcefully and consistently five-to-six feet to the 5 o'clock position. All of the 124gr FMJ rounds were ejecting consistently to the same location but only going about half as far. I kept the non-LCI bearing in the G19.

Competition shooting this past weekend- This was a medium distance shooting and moving course and you can see that the 124gr Winchester FMJ was ejecting adequately:

Here is a stationary "Bill Drill" with the same ammo:

You will notice that the first two rounds after the reload exhibited poor ejection but all the rest were good to go. Here is a slow-motion clip of the same:

Here is the second phase of the Bill Drill with one-hand shooting after the reload; performance was better, even more so with the one-handed shooting:

Slow-motion:

I took some pics of the extractor, plunger, etc. when I stripped it down before cleaning. Notice the bits of brass inside the slide near the ejection port:

General Glocking

The pistol has Heinie Straight Eight ledge sights with personally applied orange paint to the front sight.

General Glocking

General Glocking

General Glocking

The bottom line for me is that I still trust this gun and carry it daily on the job (and a December 2012 built Gen 4 G27 off the job). I hope this has been helpful to you.
Carl
Old 05-12-2013, 22:23   #2
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

If you care to spend the $$ I would see what an APEX FRE would do for you if anything at all.

My old G19 Gen 4 didn't start pelting me in the face until almost 2K rounds as well. For me the solution was a white sound defense HRED and a "non" dip extractor, this solved the issues with my sample of a Gen 4 G19 FDE.

Like you though, I never had a stoppage with the pistol.

FM
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:08   #3
ninjag19

Great info and pics! Thanks for sharing. I have the G19gen4. Although I have not had problems with it, I sought to up-grade where it seemed appropriate, especially with all the info on this forum. In my opinion the Apex extractor is a must have. Why not have the best replacement/up-grade for a questionable part?
ninjag19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:37   #4
AJE
*goes to 11*

Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
I'm curious the length of barrel tested with that Winchester ammo. There is 80fps difference between my G34 and G19.

I haven't had any brass to face issues with my gen 4 19 but my reloads are 115gr, 1200fps out of the 19 (1280fps out of the 34).

I did have BTF with the 34 until I got the new ejector for it. G34 left the factory August of '12 and the 19 in Feb of '13.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:35   #5
CAK

I forgot to add that the new extractor has a number 2 molded into it and it has a strange vertical mark/line on the side that is visible when it is mounted in the slide.

General Glocking

General Glocking

The reason why I am a bit reluctant to try the Apex is because I have read posts and seen Youtube vids from users of the Apex who reported very mixed results. I am not sure that spending $60 would improve the performance from what I am getting now. The other item of interest that I can't stress enough is that the extraction/ejection when using duty ammo (Winchester Ranger 147gr) is very strong and consistent with all empty casings thrown about six-eight feet to the right rear 100% of the time.

General Glocking

Last edited by CAK; 05-13-2013 at 09:51.. Reason: added pics
CAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40   #6
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAK View Post
I forgot to add that the new extractor has a number 2 molded into it and it has a strange vertical mark/line on the side that is visible when it is mounted in the slide.

The reason why I am a bit reluctant to try the Apex is because I have read posts and seen Youtube vids from users of the Apex who reported very mixed results. I am not sure that spending $60 would improve the performance from what I am getting now. The other item of interest that I can't stress enough is that the extraction/ejection when using duty ammo (Winchester Ranger 147gr) is very strong and consistent with all empty casings thrown about six-eight feet to the right rear 100% of the time.
I agree man, that's why I said if you carte to spend the money. If I had one on hand I'd send it to you to try out, but alas I don't.

I never bought one for my old G19 Gen4 because the HRED and Non Dipped extractor cured my issues.

The one constant in all of this, is that there is no one single fix, it's different on a per pistol basis. Some pistols have needed the ejection port on the slide cut down on top of other parts swapped out.

I'm hankering for a Gen 4 G17/34 myself, but very skeptical at this point........
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:04   #7
CAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJE View Post
I'm curious the length of barrel tested with that Winchester ammo. There is 80fps difference between my G34 and G19.
I would guess that the listed feet per second was clocked out of a six inch test barrel. The ammo's recoil impulse seems weak when compared to shooting 147gr Ranger.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12   #8
RMM

Thanks for the post. I have a late 2012 Gen4 G17 that has been flawless so far with every ammo type from Tula & WWB to +p+ Ranger T. These pistols are strange in that they can start showing problems 1000+ rounds later. My ~2008 mfg. Gen3 G26 had no BTF until last summer (I'm guessing ~1,200 rounds through it) when it started throwing a few back over my head with a few hitting my hat. I took it apart and can't see any noticeable wear on any of the parts including the extractor. No stoppages but the unexplained change is disconcerting.
Old 05-13-2013, 13:41   #9
dsk
1911 junkie

The issues with mine went away when I replaced the extractor with a new one from Glock. Even though the parts looked absolutely identical the old one miked out at .176" while the new one was .175" thick. I agree that people with ejection isues need to check that the extractor isn't dragging in the channel and that there are no sharp edges that are shaving brass off the cases. Long ago I had a Gen3 with ejection issues whenever it wasn't cleaned well, and the problem was a sharp extractor hook that was shaving brass.
dsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 13:24   #10
CAK

Here is a pic of the fresh from the factory, (last week) 9mm OEM extractor installed in my G19. Notice that it doesn't have the strange vertical mark on the visible face of the extractor (like the one circled above). The new extractor has a number 4 on it instead of a number 2. It seems to have a smoother finish on the top and bottom surfaces and I did not need to do any polishing of it. It rides very smoothly in the slide slot. I fired approx. 100 rounds with 124gr WWB fmj and it ejected very well (I am still using the non-LCI bearing for more extractor tension).

General Glocking

Notice the rainbow-colored areas below. I think it may have something to do with factory heat treating. In one of my old extractors, this area had excessive wear and created a divot and a spur of metal so maybe Glock is trying to prevent that.

General Glocking

Tags
30274, gen4, ranger