GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2013, 19:53   #26
scottz0369

For outdoors, I carry either a SAK folder or the Victorinox multi tool (best I've ever used) and my fixed is a Bark River Gunny. Perfect size for general use, and could be considered a "bushcraft" knife.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
scottz0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 22:07   #27
getorix
Gamehendge

Bob Dozier makes some great knives. His wilderness knife would be a good choice.
getorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:19   #28
brisk21

Benchmade is one of the very best!! This is a mini griptillian. They have knives for every purpose.

The Cutting Edge
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 20:37   #29
JackMac

I have a Buck folding Hunter since 1972 and it cost about $20 at that time. Used it around the farm all the time. The old black leather case wore out but the knife will probably outlast me. Great knife.
Old 05-04-2013, 19:29   #30
Gino

I think you really need three blades for camping.

1) A small folder to keep with you all the time. I like the Swiss Army Victorinox Trekker. A lockback that is slightly larger than most swiss army knives. $35 at Amazon.com

2) A medium sized knife, 4 1/2 inch blade. Best/cheapest (IMHO) is the Mora Robust. $18 at Amazon, and it comes with a great sheath also.

3) A hatchet or camping saw for cutting branches. I don't have a recommendation for this.

Next, ask us about flashlights!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 19:36   #31
Naptown34
NRA Life Member

Buck 110. Can't beat it.
* Personal Protection In The Home
* Rifle
Naptown34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 21:59   #32
bdcochran

reflections on recent suggestions

Robust - yes. When it came out, it had the thickest blade of the low priced Moras.

Buck 110 - yes. When folded, it can be used as a yawara stick.

Trekker - no. You want a model that has a saw blade and scissors. In the wilderness, you end up with torn fingernails and toe nails. Either can put you out of commission. The Huntsman is the model with both. Buy on Ebay as they are routinely confiscated at airports and run about $16 without shipping.

The concept that is foremost to me is having a tool available to me when I need it, not a safe queen or a knife/tool at home in the workshop. In the knock about jackets, windbreakers, cars, you will want to have a folder like the Buck, a multitool like a leatherman (with a scissors) and perhaps a Swiss knife. When I watched a youtube video on using a hi lift jack in the wilderness, the poster used a leatherman to work on his unit.

Guys, you can buy an excellent, confiscated leatherman, Swiss knife or a decent confiscated folder on Ebay. The prices will run 50% or less than the cost of a new unit.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 22:23   #33
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

ESSE 5.

The Cutting Edge
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 23:28   #34
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post

1) A small folder to keep with you all the time. I like the Swiss Army Victorinox Trekker. A lockback that is slightly larger than most swiss army knives. $35 at Amazon.com

2) A medium sized knife, 4 1/2 inch blade. Best/cheapest (IMHO) is the Mora Robust. $18 at Amazon, and it comes with a great sheath also.

3) A hatchet or camping saw for cutting branches. I don't have a recommendation for this.

I think this is excellent advice and a principle to keep in mind.

I have always found that there are three things that get people in trouble with a knife; trying to do a big job with a small knife, trying to do a small job with a big knife, trying to do something with a knife that should be done with another tool.

I am putting together a kit for one of my step-daughters and her boyfriend. It will be a two part program with a "serious" BOB and, in redundancy, a lightweight inexpensive kit for the car to make sure they always have something with them.

Choosing the edged tools is interesting. I will probably make the ones for the heavy kit but I will pick out "store bought" for the car so they don't worry about them as much.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:03   #35
boomchakabowwow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post

Granfors bruks or Wetterlings axes. I have both. My tiny hatchet is a Wetterlings. It is just about shaving sharp. Almost. I am gonna use it for camp and butchering duties.
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 19:05   #36
chris67

For backpacking where weight is at a premium I like a good folding knife. My favorite is a doug ritter griptilian. excellent steel and blade shape strong lock. Ive backpacked for 100s of nights with it in the sierras and it has never let me down.

For all around utility you cant beat a fixed blade with a 3 to 4 inch blade. Essees and moras work good and I have a custom blind horse knife that is my go to. Fehrman makes excellent fixed blades if your looking for something a little nicer.

You really need to decide what your going to be doing with the knife to decide on what knife, ie general purpose carry backpacking knife, bushcraft or what ever. but Ive made bow drill fires cleaned animals and about everything else with that doug ritter.
chris67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 21:49   #37
up1911fan

My combo for hiking camping is an ESEE 4 and an IZULA.
up1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 21:34   #38
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
GET YOURSELF a Victorinox One handed Trekker!!!

Then an ESEE 6, Junglas

or Swamp Rat Rodent 7 or Rodent 9

Or

Scrap Yard 711 or 911

Or if you want something to play with while you decide what you like, get a Condor knife.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06   #39
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

I've been looking at a survival knife and it seems like ESEE 6 is perfect, looking for a long enough blade, wide enough for chopping/splitting wood, flat rear side of the blade, removable handles, full tang.
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 18:32   #40
boomchakabowwow

Just took a look at esee 4! Might be my next buy!
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 21:43   #41
rygleason

Esee makes great fixed blades for sure. Do yourself a favor and check out becker knife and tool. Both companies are USA and have solid warranty and quality fixed blades.....

I recommend a three knife carry-----

A small folder like any SAK.
A smaller fixed blade for smaller tasks
A large fixed blade for chopping/batoning

That being said, for fixed blades I recommend:

Esee:
Esee 5 and Esee izula

Becker:
BK7 and BK14(or bk11, bk24)