Altaris

NTSB recommends lowering drunk driving to 0.05%

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/us/nts...hol/index.html
Altaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:39   #2
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Under current law, a 180-pound male typically will hit the 0.08 threshold after four drinks over an hour
Geez. I must be paranoid. After 2, I don't even like bein a passenger. FOUR DRINKS?!

I was all sorts of "C'mon. Is this a need?" to "Holy crap - get that enacted" pretty quick. Four drinks in an hour? Just wow.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:42   #3
Pawcatch@aol.co

They might as well just ban restaurants from serving alcohol.

I'm convinced that is what groups like MADD really want now.When a founding member of MADD has stated that they have gone too far,you know something is wrong.

All roads might as well be federal now since states have less say in maintaining their traffic laws.

I really wish their was a state who just said,"the hell with federal dollars."

Last edited by Pawcatch@aol.co; 05-14-2013 at 13:56..
Pawcatch@aol.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:56   #4
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawcatch@aol.co View Post
They might as well just ban restaurants from serving alcohol.

I'm convinced that is what groups like MADD really want now.When a founding member of MADD has stated that they have gone too far,you know something is wrong.

All roads night as well be federal now since states have less say in maintaining their traffic laws.

I really wish their was a state who just said,"the hell with federal dollars."
Yep, I really think the goal is to shut down bars and ban restaurants from serving alcohol.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:04   #5
DanaT
Pharaoh

One of the flaws is causation:

"In the early 1980s, when grass-roots safety groups brought attention to drunk driving, many states required a 0.15 BAC rate to demonstrated intoxication.

But over the next 24 years, Mothers Against Drunk Driving and other groups pushed states to adopt the 0.08 BAC standard, the last state falling in line in 2004.

The number of alcohol-related highway fatalities, meanwhile, dropped from 20,000 in 1980 to 9,878 in 2011, the NTSB said."

What they are assuming is that "alcohol-related highway fatalities" dropped by half only due to lowering the limit. I highly doubt this is the only reason.

We could say, that during the same time the federal maximum speed limit was rasied from 55 to 65 and later repealed. Therefore, was can make the statement that higher speed limits reduce the number of alcohol-related highway fatalities.

I would submit that looking at overall traffic fatalities in 1980 there 22.485 deaths per 100,000. In 2011, there 10.38

Lets compare the numbers:

Alcohol
9,878/20000 = 49.39%
10.38/22.485 = 46.2%

Isnt strange, if the cause of reduction in deaths alcohol-related highway fatalities is attributed to lowering the acceptable limit and strict enforcement of the limit, that overall traffic fatalities dropped by almost the same amount (if you evaluate all years, I doubt there is a statistically significant difference)?

Basic data analysis shows that it is highly likely something other than reduced BAC and enforcement has caused the reduction.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.

Last edited by DanaT; 05-14-2013 at 12:05..
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:06   #6
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Geez. I must be paranoid. After 2, I don't even like bein a passenger. FOUR DRINKS?!

I was all sorts of "C'mon. Is this a need?" to "Holy crap - get that enacted" pretty quick. Four drinks in an hour? Just wow.
5 beers in 3 hours puts be at .081. 4 beers in 1 hour puts me at .086.

They are making it sound like it takes a lot to get at .08, but its really not that much.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13   #7
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Interesting stats, Dana. But lower is lower, right? What if the things are concurrent. I get your point that we can't know just from the stats. More research needed. My anecdotal, SWAG thought is that 1.4, 0.08, .05 - it's all about GETTING CAUGHT not about killing someone.

Funny aside - there's a sign nearby that talks about 90% of all forest fires are started by people. I told my kids, "Good luck ever making that a smaller #." If we cut man-made FF in half, you are still talking 82%. Cut it by 3/4, still 69%. Until 90% of man-made FF are eliminated, it won't look like meaningful headway. It's a bad way to present the #. Dramatic drops just don't show up. Both girls caught on pretty quick. I was proud of that. That and we ran over a squirrel with a Zippo on the way home - so now we're working AGAINST the statistic. Every forest fire I can avoid is a plus.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:14   #8
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

More money.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:18   #9
Pawcatch@aol.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
5 beers in 3 hours puts be at .081. 4 beers in 1 hour puts me at .086.

They are making it sound like it takes a lot to get at .08, but its really not that much.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Yes,I knew a guy who blew .081. after a couple of tallboys with his steak dinner.

This is clearly to discourage restaurants from serving alcohol and to strengthen the nanny state.
MADD won't be happy until the only restaurants left are Cracker Barrels.
Pawcatch@aol.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:19   #10
meathead19

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
More money.
We have a winner!

But out of prizes. Sorry.
meathead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23   #11
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

I guess they are still butt hurt prohibition got overturned.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25   #12
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Interesting stats, Dana. But lower is lower, right? What if the things are concurrent.
You still have to be able to reject the null hypothesis. That is the problem with most of these studies.

I would actually bet that most of the reduction in deaths has resulted from safer cars. Wrecks that used to kill people dont any more.

But again, I can show that concurrently with raising speed limits deaths have went down so can it be said that raising speed limits will result in fewer deaths.

Its showing causation that is hard.

Many of these "stats" make the giant leap that X is caused by Y and you are to just believe it. X may be caused by B but since the author doesnt like Y and Y changed during the time period, authors assign Y as the cause.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:36   #13
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawcatch@aol.co View Post
Yes,I knew a guy who blew .081. after a couple of tallboys with his steak dinner.

This is clearly to discourage restaurants from serving alcohol and to strengthen the nanny state.
MADD won't be happy until alcohol is banned completely and men are required to wear burkas in public.
Fixed it for ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
I guess they are still butt hurt prohibition got overturned.
The nanny state will be the death of free America.

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:39   #14
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Lowering the legal limit will water down the actual penalties if convicted. Why not just recommend 0.000%?

The is a slight difference between someone who blows .05 and .20 so the penalties should be different. Or should they?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:42   #15
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
You still have to be able to reject the null hypothesis. That is the problem with most of these studies.

I would actually bet that most of the reduction in deaths has resulted from safer cars. Wrecks that used to kill people dont any more.

But again, I can show that concurrently with raising speed limits deaths have went down so can it be said that raising speed limits will result in fewer deaths.

Its showing causation that is hard.

Many of these "stats" make the giant leap that X is caused by Y and you are to just believe it. X may be caused by B but since the author doesnt like Y and Y changed during the time period, authors assign Y as the cause.
That's exactly what I was going to post. The % of alcohol related deaths remains the same or similar, the overall deaths go down. Obviously it wasn't due to alcohol laws.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:42   #16
220-9er

Safer cars and better/quicker trauma care has probably caused much of the drop in the fatality rate.
A better measure would be the overall accident rate.
220-9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:46   #17
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

What is the DD Accident rate vs. previous time? What is the overall accident rate vs. previous time? THAT would be a better indicator, yes? Deaths is so specific.

I still say we have less DD deaths b/c people are scared crapless to drive even mildly buzzed. IT's not killing people, it's getting caught and losing (or loosing, in GNG) your license. But without proper stats, I'm blowin out dabutthole.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:48   #18
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I don't drink, but I had 1 beer a year ago, just one 12 oz bottle, and It got me drunk as hell, maybe it's because I don't ever drink that one beer will light me up
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:59   #19
BIGBEAR92314
KK6HKT

.05% would effectively be 0 drinks allowed. My commercial DL only allows for .04% and according to this table provided by the CA DMV one beer may put me above the driving skill impaired limit
The Okie Corral

Last edited by BIGBEAR92314; 05-14-2013 at 13:00..
BIGBEAR92314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 13:03   #20
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Interesting stats ARE compiled.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1113.pdf

Accounting for population, there were about 44% more accidents in 1990 vs. 2009. So overall accidents per capita are down. (2600/100K vs. 1800/100K)

BUT. . . this site shows different stats than Dana has:

http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-dr...tatistics.html

Only 38% of deaths are alcohol vs. 60% in 1982.

Somewhere, the #'s are fudging. (The NHTSA alcohol-related accidents # includes drunken passengers, drunken VICTIMS of accidents and drunken pedestrians hit by sober drivers.)

This is an interesting mental exercise. I'd like to know the # of drunk driving accidents per year 1990-2009. They track deaths, not accidents. :(

Last edited by Dennis in MA; 05-14-2013 at 13:15..
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 13:08   #21
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Just ban everything to make it easier for all of us. Ban drinking water. Ban breathing the air. Ban looking at a piece on the earth. E V E R Y T H I N G!
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 13:09   #22
CAcop

I like how people here are talking about MADD being behind this when it is the NTSB.

My dad was a defense attorney when they set the 0.1 limit back in the day. They brought him to a test track. No driving simulators in those days. They gave him straight up grain alcohol rather than "Here drink this beer." Then they had him drive.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 13:11   #23
BIGBEAR92314
KK6HKT

[QUOTE=Dennis

This is an interesting mental exercise. I'd like to know the # of drunk driving accidents per year 1990-2009. They track deaths, not accidents. :([/QUOTE]

http://www.duipictures.com/statisti.htm
Recent Alcohol-Involvement

Over 50% of all fatal highway crashes involving two or more cars are alcohol related.
Over 65% of all fatal single car crashes are alcohol related.
Over 36% percent of all adult pedestrian accidents are alcohol related.
80% of all fatal alcohol related auto crashes occur between 8 pm and 8 am.
36% of all adult pedestrian accidents involve an intoxicated pedestrian.
Injury Crashes / Collisions

Every year, 708,000 persons are injured in alcohol related crashes; 74, 000 of those people suffer serious injuries.
About 2,000 people are hurt each day in alcohol related accidents.
Two million alcohol impaired driving collisions occur each year.
Arrest / Characteristics of Alcohol Impaired Drivers
Of every 200 to 2,000 alcohol impaired drivers on the road, only one is arrested. Therefore, the probability of getting caught is slim. Of those who are caught, very few receive a serious penalty.
The average alcohol impaired driver arrested on the highway has a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .20%, double the level for presumed intoxication in most states; that is 14 drinks of 86% proof liquor (or 14 beers) in 4 hours for a 180 lb. man.
Between 7 pm and 3 am on weekends, 10% of all drivers are legally impaired, in some parts of the country.Most Americans drink alcohol. Over 80% admit to driving after drinking.
Relatively few problem drinkers, about 7% of the driving population, account for over 66% of all alcohol related fatal accidents.
When drinkers are at the presumed level of intoxication, the risk of causing an accident is six times greater than for non-drinking drivers.
BIGBEAR92314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 13:11   #24
soutthpaw

Just come to CO and drive stoned instead. So far they have come up with no accurate or agreed upon assessment on when u r too high to drive. I guess that makes u flying low instead:D
soutthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 13:11   #25
Carrys
Inquisitive

I find it interesting those people who just have to drink and drive.

Their excuses for doing so are down right juvenile at best. Oh.....let me do as I want to do. Let me do what makes me happy. Screw everyone else, especially those I may hurt in doing so.

Besides, I'm such a grand driver I would never be responsible for hurting anyone. Shucks, I haven't been responsible for anything since the 70's......ya know?

Men Seem To Think Their God Is Like Their Govt.......He Is Supposed To Give Them Things, Not Ask Anything Of them.
Carrys is offline   Reply With Quote